“Atmosphere Great, Food Good”
Review of Coba Cocina - CLOSED

Coba Cocina
Cuisines: Latin, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Some guys are born curious. They can't just wonder what's around the corner. They've got to go see for themselves. The Greers are like that with food. You might call them culinary explorers. You might run into Lee tracking the true cubano in a Tampa barrio, the perfect pork chop in a Rio churrascaria. Phil sweet talking the secret of sweet corn tamales out of an ancient abuela in a Yucatan taqueria. One or both hot on the trail of the tastiest brisket taco. The most piquant Peruvian ceviche. The most authentic salsa. Margaritas that'll make you want to mambo. Whatever wows them on their travels, they bring right on back home. To wow you at Coba Cocina, Cobar Cantina, and Cocoh! Confectioner.
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

My friend who lives in Lexington suggested that we go to Coba because I would love the funky setting. The restaurant has a huge jellyfish tank in the center which is beautiful. The glass decorations invoke an "under the sea" feeling. The menu which is Mexican did not seem to fit with the decoration. However, the food was good. I had the Maximillian's Delight which featured 4 different enchiladas.The portion was huge, and I could not come close to eating it all. My friend suggested that I get the slaw, and it was delicious! If I am back in Lexington with my 13 year old daughter, I will bring her to Coba for the decor.

1  Thank Kelseymom

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We had lunch today at this restaurant. The decor is very upscale. There is a Jelly Fish tank in the middle of the restaurant. The food was delicious and the service great. A great value for the reasonable price.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

My hairdresser knew we had relatives in Lexington that we visit fairly often so he told me about going here with his wife's cousin. He described it as a Mexican Restaurant and although he couldn't remember the name, we were familiar enough with Lexington that we found it with very little trouble. We were there for a late lunch so had no trouble at all with seating. I chose a three item tapas plate and my husband had a salad with a wonderful avocado dressing. My plate included a "to die for" fish taco, an enchilada and a half Cuban sandwich. We both ordered what was described as small portions in order to partake of some gelato. However what we had was far more than we could eat so, the dessert will have to wait for another visit. There is a huge aquarium in the center of the restaurant (visible from wherever you sit) filled with jellyfish making for a very relaxing dining experience. Our waitress was courteous and efficient. The food was very good and reasonably priced. We enjoyed our experience and will return.

1  Thank gemcityer
Reviewed August 10, 2014

With our 3 young kids in tow 6,6 and 3, we met some family for a nice lunch. We stayed for 2.5 hours. The place is large and beautiful. There are certainly areas for adults not wishing to be around kids.
I was amazed at the attention to detail from the food selection, to the bathroom decor, to the Chihuly ( or Chihuly-esque) blown glass ceiling ornaments, to the absolutely beautiful jellyfish tank.
The food is Southwest/Mex inspired, but there are plenty of options for those that are not big on Mexican ---- like myself I had a very nice salad. Wonderful selection from the kids menu- pairings can come with fresh fruit/ veggies with a drink and gelato. Main entrees for adults are reasonably priced-with many, many options.

I felt it is one of few restaurants that do not dumb down food or experiences with children.
My 3yr chose the chocolate gelato. I stole a taste and was a bit jealous it came with the kids meals---That is the kind of dessert you save for when the kids go to bed.
I truly hope this restaurant continues to do well - we will be back.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I were in Lexington to move our daughter to an apartment. Our friends daughter suggested this restaurant for the atmosphere and food. We had 6 in the party and it was 7:30 p.m. when we arrived. We were told there was a 50 - 55 minute wait. We decided to stay. We went to the bar area, ordered drinks. The gentleman in the bar that waited on us was very nice. He suggested a couple of times that he could get us menus, but we wanted to eat in the restaurant. After an hour we checked with the hostess about a table and we were told we were third in line. Then after an hour and a half we were told still no tables. After two hours we decided to order our meal in the bar. It took about thirty minutes for our friends meals to arrive. Ours didn't, the waiter in the bar said they were backed up in the kitchen. I decided to go to the restroom and noticed that there were tables open everywhere, even tables that would handle 6 or more. After our friends were just about finished eating. Our food showed up. The waiter apologized. So, after waiting for almost 3 hours we ate quickly so we could leave. I wish someone would have come and told us that they did not want to seat us in their restaurant. We were casually dressed, but I don't think that was the problem. The food was ok, but nothing worth going back for this kind of service. Next time they need to say we can't handle your business please try some other time. There won't be a next time for me, there are many better places in Lexington to eat where they want your business. I guess, I was upset because a manager didn't check or care if his patrons were happy or having a problem.

1  Thank 834gmoney