“Flavorful dishes in glam atmosphere”
Review of Coba Cocina - CLOSED

Coba Cocina
Cuisines: Latin, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Some guys are born curious. They can't just wonder what's around the corner. They've got to go see for themselves. The Greers are like that with food. You might call them culinary explorers. You might run into Lee tracking the true cubano in a Tampa barrio, the perfect pork chop in a Rio churrascaria. Phil sweet talking the secret of sweet corn tamales out of an ancient abuela in a Yucatan taqueria. One or both hot on the trail of the tastiest brisket taco. The most piquant Peruvian ceviche. The most authentic salsa. Margaritas that'll make you want to mambo. Whatever wows them on their travels, they bring right on back home. To wow you at Coba Cocina, Cobar Cantina, and Cocoh! Confectioner.
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

This is a fun, reasonably priced, restaurant with unusual design pizzazz and good food. It's not Mexican exactly; it's something (normal) for everyone with Latin American influences. The first thing you notice is the design -- a huge tubular jellyfish enclosure (that the website bills as the largest private such exhibit) rises two stories smack in the middle of the restaurant. Bubble walls are in another part; in the restroom you wash your hands while standing on gel pad circles whose designs change under your feet (if you have too many margaritas this would really freak you out). Speaking of margaritas, the top shelf was excellent as were the mango mojitos. We had fun ordering a flight of 5 interesting salsas ($3.50) to go along with the regular salsa and black bean dip that come with the free tortilla chips. Chunky guacamole was yummy too. We loved the fat beef brisket tacos; I got two of them in a combo plate with crispy chicken, so I'm not sure if the three sauces that came with it were for the chicken or tacos but I enjoyed dipping both. I was disappointed that the crispy chicken was more like regular old chicken tenders that a kid would order than fried chicken (this is the South is it not?). Fajitas had plentiful ingredients. The buffalo chicken tacos were gleefully wolfed down. (Yes, the regular old US American influences here are as prevalent as Latin American; a cheeseburger is on the menu). Flan was lovely, and we shared two yummy gelatos. Our bill for 4 before tip but including alcohol was $100. Service was just fine; we called ahead before we left and we were seated quickly (on a Wednesday) when we arrived at 7:30. No regular reservations are taken. All in all, crowd-pleasing food and drink in a Manhattan-esque atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Coba Cocina

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Woe, a huge aquarium full of real jellyfish in the center of the resturant. We only stopped for drinks and appetizers just to see how real it could be. It is real and beautiful The lights change color on the tank. What a relaxing place. The drinks were good.

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I was very impressed with the welcome and the service. The decor was elegant, refined and soft. Music varied from soft background to little bit harsh. However generally was well done. Acoustics were great as it blocked sound of children in another section. Tried the Cuban sandwich and the fish taco. New tastes and quite adventurous. Service was perfect and our waiter Drew (?) did an excellent job and was very attentive. Highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

OK first things first, the ambiance is great. It's a beautiful restaurant. I could stare at the lighting and jellyfish for hours. Now the food, that's another thing entirely. If you are familiar with real Latin cuisine, this place will disappoint. Mediocre flavor that is pricey and very watered down. The black beans and poblano slaw were tasty. But avoid the brisket tacos and the horchata. Both just lacked flavor. Oh and don't ask for hot sauce. They only carry their special blends that cost $1.00 each. My final say: Go to impress and maybe for a few pretty and pricey drinks but skip the food.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The second I walked in with my daughter with autism, a handicapped child on oxygen and a hyper 9 year old I was immediately dismissed. I have been meaning to write this review for some time due to the way I was treated. We were seated as far away from the other people as possible and very rarely checked on by our waiter. My kids were in awe of the unique style of the restaurant but I dared not allow them up. Even upon leaving the hostess didnt hold the door as I wheeled the oxygen tank and held my son a the sane time, nor did anyone acknowledge we left. Never ever will go back.

1  Thank Heather A