“I don't usually eat vegetable fajitas”
Review of Coba Cocina - CLOSED

Coba Cocina
Cuisines: Latin, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Some guys are born curious. They can't just wonder what's around the corner. They've got to go see for themselves. The Greers are like that with food. You might call them culinary explorers. You might run into Lee tracking the true cubano in a Tampa barrio, the perfect pork chop in a Rio churrascaria. Phil sweet talking the secret of sweet corn tamales out of an ancient abuela in a Yucatan taqueria. One or both hot on the trail of the tastiest brisket taco. The most piquant Peruvian ceviche. The most authentic salsa. Margaritas that'll make you want to mambo. Whatever wows them on their travels, they bring right on back home. To wow you at Coba Cocina, Cobar Cantina, and Cocoh! Confectioner.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and her best friend went a week ago and raved about it, so we went on Labor day
for lunch. I was blown away by the décor and atmosphere. The service was prompt and
the fajitas were as good as I was told. The chips and salsa were great, and they serve
filtered water. We had so many veggies I to request more tortillas (which are made fresh in
the kitchen) to finish. All for less than $12; Amazing!

1  Thank Hushai

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We finally stopped at Coba Cocina having passed it many times and observing an always full parking lot. The restaurant itself is visually stunning. Lighting and layout of the dining area are unique and there are two bars, one upstairs. We had margaritas in the upstairs bar. They were mostly ice with little alcohol. We were notified by text message of our table availability which is an improvement over carrying klunky pagers around. The experience went down hill rapidly after being seated. My napkin had a large fresh food stain which indicated the table was not completely cleaned from the last diner. Our waiter tried hard but seemed over matched. He did not bring the chips, salsa or black bean dip. To give him the benefit of the doubt, we did bring the remainder our our guacamole from the bar. Still, he could have inquired as to whether or not we were interested in the dip. The menu is suprisingly sparse with the traditional expected dishes of tacos, burritos etc. There seemed little in the way of house specialities to make the dining experience unique. I ordered crispy tacos but was brought tacos in a soft shell and had 5-10 minutes for the correct order to arrive. The food itself was tasty but nothing special. There is little to recommend here and I doubt very seriously if we will make a return visit.

1  Thank michael t
Reviewed August 20, 2013

As the other reviews have mentioned, the atmosphere is very modern, clean and refreshing. I went around 7:00pm on a Saturday night they said the wait was around 45 minutes but they sat us in 25 minutes. My boyfriend ordered their famous cheeseburger and fries which was cold however the management took care of the problem. I ordered nachos which were pretty good but there were only 8 nachos on the plate. Overall, the restaurant seems to put a lot of emphasis on appearance instead of the quality of food. If you want good Mexican food, go to an authentic restaurant.

Danielle D, Public Relations Manager at Coba Cocina, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Candace,

Many thanks for your visit and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We strive to deliver the highest quality food and world class service and use all constructive comments to work toward this goal. If you have other specific details to share, please let me know. We hope to see you soon at Coba Cocina, Cobar Cantina, and Cocoh! Confectioner.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Screaming babies, waiters dropped and broke glasses twice; waiter had no suggestions; patrons in dirty, sleeveless t-shirts; meal was very heavy. Will never go back. Only positive was that it was cheap.

2  Thank JMHoffman

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Food wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. Service could definitely improve if the servers were more attentive, drinks needed refills, no ice in drinks, we were never asked about our food after receiving it at the table. Flies were abundant in the indoor dining area near patio, friend and I both had flies on our straws at one point. Honestly, nothing we ate was memorable or worth bragging about; I had a combo meal with a taco, cheese and a chicken enchilada, friends had a spicy chicken and pineapple dish. Salsa at table tasted fresh and had just enough heat, really enjoyed it. Chips would taste much better if they switched to the thinner chips served at Cheddar's (Coba and Cheddar's have the same owners). The restaurant is beautiful,but there is nothing I enjoyed enough to make me want to return.

2  Thank Regina D