“Saint Louis style ribs. I gave an extra half star for service.”
Review of City Barbeque

City Barbeque
Ranked #46 of 910 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Takeout
Description: The idea for City Barbeque was born as an invitation to all the people in the city to enjoy great barbeque- America's food. Our award-winning barbeque is made with only the highest quality meats and served with our signature sauces on the side. Huge smokers are loaded daily to guarantee the very best hickory smoked, juicy, tender meat anywhere. So if an authentic barbeque experience is what you're after, look no further. Small groups of folks like us still believe in honoring quality, generations of tradition and true service. Whether you call it barbecue, Bar-B-Que, BBQ, or barbeque - we've got what you are looking for! Our menu boasts premium smoked meats such as Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Pulled Chicken, All Natural Turkey Breast, Texas Smoked Sausage, St. Louis-Style Ribs, All Natural Chicken. Pair any smoked meat with our delicious City Sides for a true 'que meal! City Sides include baked beans with brisket, mac & cheese, corn pudding, green beans with bacon, fresh-cut fries, mixed greens with pork, potato salad, hand dipped hush puppies, side salad, gumbo and corn bread. Finish it off with one of our made-from-scratch desserts: peach cobbler, triple chocolate cake and banana pudding. We proudly dedicate our lives to the pursuit of barbeque and happiness (yes, in that order)!
Akron, Ohio
“Saint Louis style ribs. I gave an extra half star for service.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Coming off the freeway I-75 on the Athens Boonesboro Road, I wasn't sure which way to turn. Dead reckoning got me close but there was no way to make a lefty. I am a traveler and I got into the parking lot eventually, and went inside. I would say it was around 3PM, on Wednesday, May 29, 2013.

Coming in the door and looking around to get a feel for the system, a nice gentleman came over and showed me the ropes. I got the feeling that he was the owner of this establishment but I don't know for sure. He handed me a Menu and I said I was interested in the ribs. The menu has lots more than ribs, I want to tell you.

You get in line at the ordering station and order and pay. Half Slab of ribs with Texas toast for $11.99 and add 2 side orders for $2.99. I got the hush puppies and side salad with apple cider vinagrette which was SOOOOO good. Soft drinks $1.99, average price these days. In just a few minutes the girl handed me 2 plates of food. They were not busy at all in that moment.

There is a long open-top cooler of beers between the ordering line and the picking -up counter and there was a large selection of craft type brews of which I did not partake cause I was driving, but I would have liked to.

At the 'condiment and drink station' let's call it, you fill your plate with BBq sauce that you ladle into a plastic cup, pickle slices, jalapenios and stuff, napkins, forks, fill your drink cup, all Self Serve, and flop it all down at a table. Works for me!

The ribs were as advertized, "Meatier than a baby back". I had some leftovers at the end so I helped myself to a 'Take out box' from a pile nearby, dumped everything in, and went back to my hotel.

All in all I thought the pricing a little steep, value here was average, food was very good. There are no servers per se, but service was what impressed me, as I have previously stated.

• Visited May 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Fingerlickin Good!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM. I have eaten a lot of BBQ and this is the best by far. I have had only a few locally owned places that can compete. No chain can come close. It is a little bit expensive compared to what others might consider a "faster food" option, but you are getting what you pay for. It can get very busy in the summer months, but ample seating is available outside most of the time.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Casey K
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“So Excited to Find City in This City!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We're former Kansas Citians, and admitted BBQ snobs. And we were thrilled to find this restaurant in Lexington. We visit the Columbus, OH locations frequently when we visit family. City BBQ is the closest thing to KC BBQ that we have found outside the region. The sauce options are great, the rubs add great flavor and the meat is always super moist and tender. Make it a destination even if you are just passing through.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank MSandersCarroll
Lexington
“Food-hard to beat. . .atmosphere-eh-h!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just about everything City BBQ makes is fantastic. I'm actually going to order their smoked turkey for part of our Thanksgiving meal next year. We got it from Honey Baked last year, and it can't come close to City's! Especially good are their french fries, crispy, piping hot and they give you so many they're falling off the plate. Also great is their potato salad, corn pudding, green beans, and of course, their ribs. The peach cobbler is excellent as well. If their atmosphere were better, and their dining room was larger, we'd be there more than we are now, which is often!

• Visited April 2013
Morehead, Kentucky
“Nice time at the City”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I have dined twice at City Bbq and both times it was very enjoyable. Both times I ordered the pulled pork and it was excellent. The overall experience has been good with both times dining outside. I would recommend you trying City Bbq and form your own opinions, which should be positive. My guests did dispatch me back to get an order of peach cobbler and true to the sign on the wall, once it is gone, it is gone! We should have ordered it when we went thru the line the first time. Oh well you learn these little things as you go along. Is City Bbq the ultimate bbq experience? Probably not but it is a good experience. I will return. The next time I think I'll go for the ribs.

Visited May 2013