“Neat Place”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Very eclectic bistro with character and interesting menu and selection of drinks, etc. Just try to avoid upstairs back room, which is sort of isolated and not much fun. I had the large burger which was cooked perfect and the fries are excellent. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We came here on a summer evening where there was a downtown festival, so it was pretty crowded. But the service was excellent, even with the crowd, and the food was really good. These are all bonuses on top of the long beer list and the cocktails.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Didn't eat, just stopped in for a beer upon a recommendation. Great service, cool atmosphere. The food looked great.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I wanted to write about this wonderful new restaurant ever since my wife and I stopped in for lunch prior to a movie at the Kentucky Theater. We had such a fantastic experience that we went back for Dinner 3 weeks later. Since then I have been back with 2 groups of 8 friends. Not one of the 14 friends on the two dinner trips had been to the Village Idiot and without exception all thanked me so much for picking this restaurant to have our dinner. The service is exceptional, helpful and friendly. Ask any questions and you will get honest answers. The wait staff saved me some money by suggesting that my entre and appetizer might be way too much to eat...The portions are large and satisfying. They gladly hand out separate checks to the groups and they even break down appetizer cost on the checks...We shared an order of the must try Big Bowl of Fries with 4 Sauces and the fabulous Brussels Sprouts (add the Bacon) and they broke the cost down 8 ways. They have one of the most interesting menu's around and they keep it short and simple. Every Item tried so far came out better than expected. By the smiles and comments from my friends I could see this to be true of all the dishes tried. The food is simply outstanding with each dish having very unique flavor combinations. I have had the Idiot, The House Burger topped Cheddar with a gigantic Onion Ring filled with Braised Short Rib Meet. Outstanding. I have had the Wild Boar Patty Melt twice and well, I had it twice. On one occasion I had a Daily Special sandwich which might be the most tasteful sandwich that I have ever tried, EVER. It was a Vietnamese flavored poor boy with such a unique combination of flavors. I have also shared in my wife's fabulous Truffle and Crab Mac & Cheese. The Village Idiot has very tasty food that puts a smile on your face. It is also reasonably priced. As for the Loudness mentioned in other reviews. It is just a bunch of people having a good time and truly enjoying their time. There is a nice bar downstairs but the Food is the Star. Parking Tip: Meters are Free after 5 on weekdays and Weekends. Other than that there is a pay lot behind the Village Idiot and a parking garage across the street.

1  Thank Lex H
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the variety on the menu! We had a difficult time narrowing down our choices. The food was as delicious as the menu descriptions. The devils on horseback appetizer was fantastic, the salad with pearl barley was flavorful and different. The burger and homemade French fries were so tasty and fresh. I only wished we were in Lexington longer to eat here again!

1  Thank 4Crackers