“My New Restaurant Crush”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot
Ranked #25 of 893 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Lexington, Kentucky
“My New Restaurant Crush”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

After more than 10 visits to The Village Idiot, I officially know that I have a crush on this place. There have been very few things that I have eaten there that I didn't absolutely love. While they are considered a gastropub, I have found that the entrees outshine the small plates/appetizers considerably. The small plates just did not bring the WOW factor that the entrees do. BUT - that is just my opinion. I know others who really love the apps. I agree with one of the other reviewers that this place is a great restaurant disguised as a pub. It is a contender for any upscale or casual restaurant in town. The duck and waffles are amazing. The beet salad is to die for (although I learned yesterday it is coming off of the menu). Asparagus hash for brunch is delicious. Their burgers..... OMG their burgers. I was told they grind chuck, sirloin and butter together. It is grilled to perfection and served on a pretzel bun. Nothing like it. 20 craft beers on tap (excellent suggestion) and great price (most $5). And while I love the atmosphere, it would be good for folks to know that this is a lively and somewhat loud place. That is not a bad thing, but if you are looking for a quite place for dinner, this is not it. I guess it is probably good that I do not live nor work downtown, otherwise I would be broke and fat from eating every meal here.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank oogb

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Bourbon Bread Pudding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Everything we had from the burger to sweet pea ravioli was well
Conceived and presented. Leave room for the Bourbon bread pudding!

1 Thank BruPete
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very interesting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night in Lexington last weekend and we tend to go to as many of the local restaurants as possible, trying appetizers or small meals until we just can't do anymore. This was stop 2. The building has quite alot of rooms and we were seated upstairs. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and our drinks were served quickly. The mussels were absolutely awesome and we asked for extra toasted baguettes just to soak up some of the broth!!!! We are people watchers and all of the tables around us were having a great time and enjoying their meals. Definitely will go back the next time we are in town!

Dallas, Texas
“Great menu but poor execution!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We loved the menu that offered many creative dishes, but they did not taste that good. Our quail dish was so salty that was almost not edible, and the quail was very bony. Our beet 'tartar' was plain, and I could not tell that it was roasted. However, the duck with waffles was okay. Lots of selection of beer on tap or in a bottle; and our waitress was no help to give explanation. It's a bar restaurant, so it was a very noisy place even in the dining room section.

Herndon, Virginia
“A Village Idiot to be Proud of!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

All aspects of our experience here were positive. The attentive waitress and the relaxed and attractively decorated atmosphere created a sense of welcome. Most importantly, we savored some wonderful menu offerings. Actually, everything sounded so good, making a decision was difficult. Once our decisions were made, I am pleased to say we were not disappointed. I would enthusiastically recommend the mussels in ale broth, the brussel sprouts, the beet tartar salad, and the smokehouse bibb salad. The food was complemented with an outstanding beer selection. Enjoy.