“Awesome beer/burger selection...iffy if a vegetarian”
Review of The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot
Ranked #27 of 951 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We dined here on a Saturday night based primarily on reviews from Trip Advisor. THis restaurant is located in a great area of downtown Lexington with lots of other restaurants and bars so I was disappointed I didn't have time to see more.
The beer list here is fairly extensive. Each is listed with an alcohol content and cost per glass so you know what you are in for. Our table shared the ceviche which was quite yummy, if a bit salty. I then had the pea ravioli which was yummy whole both my dining companions had the Idiot Burger...which you need to be crazy to order because it is huge. Both guys were big eaters and couldnt conquer the thing. The fries were great too, but I would have preferred plain ketchup to their flavored version, which left a weird taste behind. I'm not a meat eater so the ravioli was my only real entree option, so if you're strictly meat free you may want to dine elsewhere. Also service wasn't that great. It took a LONG time to get someone to take our initial drink and food orders and we had to flag someone down to take our dinner orders but they did keep us stocked up on water which was appreciated with all the beer that was being consumed.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Fun place, great vibe and super food--had the duck with waffles! Was with my dad and he loved the pickles and the burger!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Atmosphere, atmosphere: exciting, yes. Romantic, not. Loud, very. Could give it a higher mark because the most of food was really tasty. Definitely a great beer selection. But when I asked the waitress about bourbon, she said "What is up there (above the bar) is what we have. So I looked, noticed the Van Winkle bottles, and asked her about the Pappy VW. "We don't have that". Obviously not a bourbon bar. She had to go back and ask the bartender for prices - give them credit, though, they did have a good selection. We regularly visit Lexington twice a year during Keeneland, stay and eat downtown. This one we won't try to go back to soon. Much younger crowd, good affordability, but not the enjoyable sit-down dinner we look for. No doubt the place is popular. We had a reservation, which we made over a week in advance. But plenty of people turned away due to the wait.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I only recently ate there for the first time with friends. We had some appetizers and I was surprised how unique & delicious the 'devil on horseback' was! Their famous French fries were very good as were the homemade sauces. All of our entrees were superb. Favorite was a seafood scallop dish but duck & waffles was very unique & good as were the others. Pleasantly surprised with this "gastropub". We will be back...those mussels looked great from the view of other tables but want to try on a future visit. only thing we thought was odd was that there was only dessert (bread pudding) on the menu. We were in the mood for dessert but pretty stuffed from the appetizers/entrees, so a heavy dessert like this didn't sound terribly appealing. We chose to skip that addition to our waistline.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had the "Idiot" burger. Oh my was it delicious! Topping a big juicy burger with short rib meat .... who thinks of that? It was an amazing combination. The interior was very attractive and the beer selection was absolutely awesome, anything you could want, they had it. Our server was very nice and quick with everything (though not rushing). If I was in Lexington again I'd defiintely go back.