“Decor= intense.”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Decor= intense.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The decor is entirely unique and not exactly the Mediteranean I have experienced. The food does not live up to the decor.

Visited July 2014
Allison B, Director of Sales at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this review, September 25, 2014
We appreciate all criticism in order to continue trying to make our restaurant great. Thank you for your review. I agree our décor is a matter of taste but we enjoy the uniqueness it brings. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the food you had but I invite you to return to our restaurant and try something different. Our menu is very extensive and everyone's tastes are different so you may love the next thing you try! I hope your experience is better next time.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Parting is such sweet sorrow? Nah, only sorrow when leaving this place.”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I took my mother downtown for a late lunch (after 2 pm) and suggested Shakespeare and Company to try something new. Both of us were a little creeped out when we walked in -- we got more of a "dirty antique" vibe than a quaint Victorian vibe. The greeter let us pick our table, so we tried to pick the one with the least stained/crushed upholstered chairs or couches. Our server was very friendly but talked fast and low, necessitating me to ask her to repeat herself at least 5 times. The menu is certainly extensive, but our food was so-so at best. Servings were large; I would encourage soup-and-salad types to pick one or the other so they don't end up with way too much food. Despite large portions, I was somewhat surprised by the check -- what we had eaten didn't seem to justify the price. As we left the restaurant, I apologized for suggesting the place, sad that we had eaten here when there are so many better restaurants downtown.

• Visited July 2014
RedsFaninLex,

Sorry for your experience. I have addressed the issues you raised with our staff. We invite you back to see the changes we have made. When you come back please inform the manager on duty of your previous experience.
Peoria, Arizona
“Interesting place”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Three for a late lunch at this downtown location. BTW, one of the best things about it is a large parking facility across the street. Two of the three meals were excellent: eggs benedict and eggs florentine. The pasta alfredo was average. Calimiri and cheese sticks were fine but nothing special. Service was excellent.

It's an interesting place with a pleasant and bright decor. It's anyone's guess what the old building was used for.

Regarding their prices, this is not a fast food restaurant. Appetizers, entrees, drinks for three was about $70. We thought it was reasonable given the entire experience.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Putterface
Putterface,

Thanks for taking the time to visit us and write a review. In the early 1900's the building was a hardware store. We have pictures showing the arrival of the first clothes washers that our great grandparents would have used lining the streets.

We look forward to your next visit.
Lexington, Kentucky
“Mediocre food. Gaudy decor. Uncomfortable environment. Overpriced.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This restaurant is just the sort of thing a self-proclaimed foodie would think is cool: a unique decor, a semi-exotic menu, a reputation for being eclectic. Perhaps it is perfect for a ladies brunch, but for anyone who really cares about the satisfaction and value of the food, and dining experience, this place is a "meh" at best. The decor and environment, which many claim to love, really are not well-suited for a restaurant; You get the feeling like you are eating in a crowded warehouse of antiques. I have been a few times and have yet to find anything that I really liked and the prices were a little high for the almost-good food.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lexington R
Lexington R,

Our design and restaurant are unique and does not appeal to everyone. We provide our guests with a relaxing environment were they can come in have a cup of coffee or enjoy a nice dinner and not feel like we are rushing them out the door for the next guest.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing ”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We went here for brunch....what an eclectic place. Absolutely loved the decor, so charming. Patio in back also very nicely done. Our waitress also very nice.
I ordered the salmon scramble, my eggs were served room temperature on a barely toasted English muffin with again room temperature sauce on the side. Both would have been good if actually served warm. The potatoes seemed originally baked then rewarmed for breakfast.
My boyfriend ordered crepes and was told they were out of crepe batter and could have more made up in maybe 15 min. This the chef did not let our waitress know until she served my barely warm breakfast. He then ordered eggs over easy. Again barely toasted english muffin, grits that appeared to be barely warmed in the microwave (cool on the inside) cold on the outside.
Such a charming place with good service it's a shame the food does not measure up.

1 Thank Sharon L
Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Sorry to read about your experience. We are known as the place to enjoy a wonderful breakfast. Based on your visit we did not live up to your expectations. I would like to invite you to return and when you return please share with our manager your previous experience. I have also shared your comments with our Chef. Sending out room temperature food is not acceptable.