“Atmosphere was fantastic food was eclectic”

Shakespeare and Co.
Ranked #39 of 929 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We came here on a Sunday afternoon for a girls lunch. We were seated in 15 min. @ a couch table. Cute idea. We started with the iced tea, which was infused with some spices. Tasty. Next for an appetizer we had the chicken skewers with potato croquettes. I am no gluten so I could partake in this. The other ladies loved the potatoes the chicken not so much. Next I had the spring chicken which was great with grilled veggies(eggplant, peppers,potatoes) the sauce made the dish. We did not have dessert.
The service was a little slow. I know it's more on the dining side. It was a little over 2 hrs for us start to finish. Our server was polite not friendly.
The total bill for me the appetizer,tea & entree was $38. + tip
If you are downtown shopping @ Victorian square, going to the opera house, a game or concert, this is in a nice location for those events.

Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

phislamajama,

Thanks for taking the time to visit and review our restaurant. We are always training and working with our servers on all areas. We will use your review as part of the training.

Please visit and review us again.

Thanks

There are newer reviews for Shakespeare and Co.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Work took us to Shakespeare and Co for lunch and I was not impressed. The restaurant décor was to busy, the menu was I think 9 pages long, I ended up getting tomato soup, a burger and fries with water to drink and it was almost $20 for just me. There were 4 at our table and the bill was $117. If you wanna go just for the experience then it is a neat weird place but you probably wont go back.

Robert D,

Thanks for the visit and recent review. Yes, our menu is large. You can order anything off our menu anytime of the day. If you want a filet at 7:30 am you can have the filet. If you want biscuits and gravy at midnight we will serve you biscuits and gravy.

Our menu has prices ranging from $5.00 flatbreads to $30.00 steaks. The large bowl of Tomato soup is $6.00, the half pound burger, fires and coleslaw are listed at $12.00 on the menu. With tax your bill would be almost $20.00.

I invite you to return and try some of our other menu items.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in before the game. I ordered a hamburger and add on blue cheese crumbles that were supposed to be cooked INSIDE the burger. When my burger came to the table he brought me blue cheese DRESSING. I told him the crumbles were supposed to be inside and that it was not dressing. He told me the dressing would have made the hamburger a weird consistency and the kitchen told him they couldn't cook the dressing in the burger. I told him that in the menu under the sandwiches it lists the cheese add ons. He still didn't seem to understand. So my husband just cut to the chase and asked for some crumbles on the side.

After that issue the rest of the meal went well. ALL the food was quite tasty. They make their own pretzel buns which were very good. You can substitute for the fries and I got a fruit cup. All fresh fruit, no canned stuff. It was very good. I'd eat here again. My only complaint would be the bottle of cleanser on the counter next to my table. As far as the waiter, he told us he was new when he came to the table so I would cut him some slack this week. He needs to study the menu though!

The decor is very Victorian. I loved it. It's worth a try.

BudNLily,

Thanks for the review and your recent visit. I was confused by your comment that the menu stated that the blue cheese was cooked inside the burger. After reviewing the menu I understand how you thought the crumbles were supposed to be cooked inside the burger. Under the burger section you are directed to ADD YOUR CHOICE OF FILLINGS. This is a mistake on our menu that will be corrected. The menu should read ADD YOUR CHOICE OF TOPPINGS.

Thanks for pointing out this error!!!!!

Hopefully you will return on your next visit to Lexington.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

So if you just want a place to hang out and get an average bite and you don't care about the quality of the food, it's ok then. The atmosphere is tacky burlesque decor, the wait staff is hit and miss, more misses than hits. The food is over priced and forgettable, but the location is a great location in the heart of down town.

1  Thank michel666
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stopped in for drinks after a full day around Lexington. Great happy hour prices, neat spot and a kind bartender. Stop by, for sure!

dumont82,

Thanks for the review. Look forward to your return visit.

Thanks,