“Interesting place to visit”

Shakespeare and Co.
Ranked #28 of 903 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Georgetown, Kentucky
“Interesting place to visit”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I chose to dine here for our anniversary. We came on a Friday evening when there was a show at the Opera House. Perhaps because we weren't dressed quite as fancily as the theater-goers (though we were not underdressed), the hostess who greeted us did not appear to want to seat us in the dining room. (We'd tried to make a reservation but, alas, they don't accept them.) The waiter who served us, named Jesse, was very attentive, however-- maybe the best service we've ever had in a restaurant.
I'm not sure what their target audience is, on the one hand they have very pricey items on the other they have burgers. The atmosphere was higher-class, but there was a TV with ESPN on in the back.
I would not come here if I were purely wanting good Mediterranean food-- there are much better options in Lexington. The hummus was quite bland. I had the quinoa pasta, it was very filling and reasonably priced. The salmon in it tasted like it had come from a can, however. My wife had the Classic Chicken and recommends it.
One oddity-- our waiter ran us down in the parking lot thinking we'd left too abruptly (after we'd paid, sat for a bit, etc-- they'd cleared our table) and to make sure we weren't disappointed in our service. That was a bit off-putting, but we were satisfied.
They were renovating their barista counter while we were there, so I'd give the cafe a chance when the renovation is finished.

• Visited August 2013
Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this review, September 5, 2013
kd0imh,

Thanks for the review. The renovation is complete and we are back to the full dining room. With our menu we try to offer many different dining options. If someone wants a filet, they can have it or they can enjoy a pizza or burger. We have found that our guests like this option. In the last week we have made changes to the hummus. The next time you visit please try the hummus and let me know your thoughts on the change. I will also address the situation of the server going out to the parking lot. It is against our policy for servers to leave the building while working.

Once again thanks for the review and we look forward to your next visit.

Warrington, United Kingdom
“well worth a detour”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I ate at this restaurant a few times while attending the ICES cake convention (next door to the Hyatt Hotel) 8th - 11th August 2013. The decor is something else - french boudoir? The food was excellent - nice portion size (not too big/overwhelming, which is what I tend to find in most places I eat at in the USA). The menu offered had a good choice/selection. The staff were great - helpful/friendly/fun.

Christine,

Thanks for the wonderful review. The week of the ICES cake convention was a great event for our staff. Our staff enjoyed serving so many people from across the world. I often heard comments from the servers that they had new regulars during the week. When you return to Lexington, not if, please stop and pay us a visit.
Lexington
“A filling meal of appetizers”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stopped by on a Friday night to try a new place to eat in Lexington. We were surprised by the décor, a blend of charm and elegance, with high tech TV screens seemed a little out of place with the theme.
Anyway, we ordered 3 appetizers: Hummus; cheese platter and lamb skewers.
We were not disappointed they were very tasty, delicious and filling.
The only comments were the hummus had a little too much lemon juice and the cheese platter had a few too many crackers - glad we were sharing these dishes between 2.

Nice date night out though. Tables are private and we were able to hold a conversation so it was a good place for our evening out.

triotrois,

Thanks for taking the time to visit our restaurant and write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your appetizers. We have made some changes to our hummus, so on your next visit give the hummus another try.
Terre Haute, Indiana
“Bard of Kentucky”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

While on an annual wine tour, this in Kentucky, we used Lexington as our base. And Shakespeare was one of the fine restaurants that charmed us. Even though we dined al fresco. That made it a tad noisy, but not to distraction. The food was excellent, but the service was tardy; too many diners and not enough staff? The oddest experience was the dessert menu. It was limited, but patrons were allowed to enter the restaurant and make selections from the pastry counter. Those looked delicious, but the main courses were enough to keep those finishers at bay.

Bard,

Thanks for the review. I have addressed the service issue with our management team. The dessert menu is limited, but we allow our Pastry Chef to be creative every day. Each day we will have three or four different dessert items made fresh that morning in the pastry display. Hopefully on your next visit you can try one of our Pastry Chef's creations.
Dearborn
“Cute, not consistent”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Tried two nights to get here. It gets crowded early. I ate outside but bad idea. Changed my chair three times. Finally a waiter came and moved the umbrella to block the setting sun. The crepes were what I came for and they were good. They served a dollop size serving of ice cream with a big soup spoon. It was OK but the next night I picked a different place.

Visited August 2013
Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this review, August 28, 2013
JudithAnn,

Thanks for your recent review. In the evening when the sun is setting the outside seating on Broadway is in the direct sunlight for a while. We also have outside seating in our courtyard that does not have the direct sunlight. I are glad you enjoyed the Crepes. I am not sure what you mean by not consistent. Please send me an email so I can address this issue with our staff.

Thanks