“Is it just not cool to tear lettuce any more?”

Shakespeare and Co.
Ranked #39 of 935 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Walked in on a lark; intrigued by the pretty menu. Loved the decor and loved that we could sit on a comfy couch in the bar area for lunch. The tables were actually a good height for this - not like when i try to eat off my coffee table at home and feel like i'm standing on my head! The music is a bit loud, but it was fine - went with the cool, eclectic, elizabethan-goes-DIY decor. Service good. Ordered a cobb salad and it was lovely and had a unique bean salad thing going on, which was good...but why is it the "done thing" these days to put a huge slab of lettuce on your plate (i'm not talking about the classic "iceberg wedge," i know what i'm going to get if i order that)? It may be all the rage in culinary institutes around the world, but i hate it. It is impractical and also in poor manners, if you believe amy vanderbilt etiquette that says you should NEVER use a knife on a salad. Sigh. I am in the minority, i assume. Overall good, fresh food in an interesting environment. Would go back.

Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Absynthe114,

Thanks for your recent review. We have come to find that most guests really do like the opportunity to sit on the comfy couches when dining. Please visit us again and try some of our other amazing menu items.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I really liked this restaurant. I love that they serve a little later and have breakfast all day. My husband and I were in town visiting and decided to have dinner here on Saturday evening (8/3/2013). We decided to sit in the courtyard because it was a nice night and the restaurant was a little chilly for my taste. We tried the Mediterranean breakfast and a few other breakfast items. The grilled halloumi is to die for and I haven't had that prepared well since we were in Greece! The labneh was also very good. I actually liked the atmosphere outside and our server was great. After dinner we relaxed with a few after dinner coffee drinks. Overall, we had a great evening and I look forward to returning the next time I am in Lexington.

Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Irice,

Thanks for the review. We are glad that we could provide you with good food and great service on your visit to Lexington. The halloumi is one of our most popular items and for you to say it was to die for is so kind. We look forward to your return visit the next time you are in Lexington.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wasn't expecting such a cute restaurant. Located right near lots of bars, it's a nice place to get a dinner and fun cocktails before going out for the night. The food was pretty good, though standard. The strawberry bourbon cocktail I ordered was excellent. Very friendly service and great atmosphere.

Melissa,

Thanks for the review. We hope to see you on your next visit to Lexington.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This restaurant is rated as one of the best in Lexington so we tried it. The food was good and the server we had was excellent but I was really put off by the decor. There are at least three huge TVs in the place and the decor looks like someone with Attention Deficit Disorder decorated. It makes Victorian look absolutely Zen. If you want a nice quiet, romantic dinner spot look elsewhere but if you're going out with someone you really don't want to pay too much attention to there are plenty of distractions. Decor is a matter of taste, I know, but Shakespeare and Company wasn't in mine!

Tyrone,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Yes, I agree that décor is a matter of taste and we are sorry that you did not enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant. But, we are glad that you enjoyed your food on your visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a good experience here but something was not quite right. The cafe was trying hard but was just missing the wow factor. For lunch our trio had excellent pizza - two blue cheese and spinach and a lasagne with a wonderful wine, the name of which escapes me. The desserts were good. Our server was professional and attentive at first but then seemed to lose the plot/interest and had to be reminded to bring missing cutlery items. Twice I asked for my ice cream accompaniment. We topped up our wine which was no big deal but this appeared to be an establishment where the waiting staff usually did the honours. Still, it was a great way to end my visit to Lexington.

Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Kedali,

Thanks for your recent review. We are always working to improve our service. I will use your review as a teaching tool for our servers. On your return to Lexington, please stop back and see the improvement.