“A Gem!”

Shakespeare and Co.
Ranked #29 of 892 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“A Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wasn't expecting such a cute restaurant. Located right near lots of bars, it's a nice place to get a dinner and fun cocktails before going out for the night. The food was pretty good, though standard. The strawberry bourbon cocktail I ordered was excellent. Very friendly service and great atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
Mark C, Manager at Shakespeare and Co., responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Melissa,

Thanks for the review. We hope to see you on your next visit to Lexington.

Tyrone, GA
“Food is Good But the Atmosphere.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

This restaurant is rated as one of the best in Lexington so we tried it. The food was good and the server we had was excellent but I was really put off by the decor. There are at least three huge TVs in the place and the decor looks like someone with Attention Deficit Disorder decorated. It makes Victorian look absolutely Zen. If you want a nice quiet, romantic dinner spot look elsewhere but if you're going out with someone you really don't want to pay too much attention to there are plenty of distractions. Decor is a matter of taste, I know, but Shakespeare and Company wasn't in mine!

Visited August 2013
Tyrone,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Yes, I agree that décor is a matter of taste and we are sorry that you did not enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant. But, we are glad that you enjoyed your food on your visit.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing decor, good food but sloppy service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a good experience here but something was not quite right. The cafe was trying hard but was just missing the wow factor. For lunch our trio had excellent pizza - two blue cheese and spinach and a lasagne with a wonderful wine, the name of which escapes me. The desserts were good. Our server was professional and attentive at first but then seemed to lose the plot/interest and had to be reminded to bring missing cutlery items. Twice I asked for my ice cream accompaniment. We topped up our wine which was no big deal but this appeared to be an establishment where the waiting staff usually did the honours. Still, it was a great way to end my visit to Lexington.

Visited June 2013
Dear Kedali,

Thanks for your recent review. We are always working to improve our service. I will use your review as a teaching tool for our servers. On your return to Lexington, please stop back and see the improvement.
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Unusual decor, average food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a late dinner while driving back home from Chicago.

The first thing that struck us was the lack of interest anyone seemed to have in helping us. We entered through the bar area, and no one even looked up to acknowledge us. After waiting a couple of minutes to no avail, we wandered over to the main dining area, where yet again, no one acknowledged our presence. Finally, we asked the bartender in that room if we were to seat ourselves or what, and he said that yes, that was fine.

The decor in the dining room was...bizarre, to say the least. It felt as if you were sitting in your great-aunt's extremely cluttered and overcrowded Victorian-esque parlor. Chairs were low to the ground, which could be difficult to get out of for older people or other people with mobility issues.

Given the decor, we wondered what we were in for with the menu, but it was surprisingly pedestrian -- salads, burgers, pizza, and the like. My husband and I both had salads, which were fine, but nothing spectacular. Mine was a tad heavy on the dressing. We finished with the cheesecake, which was nice and creamy.

Service from our waiter continued with the same pattern of aloofness we'd experienced when coming in the restaurant. There were hardly any customers at that time of night (around 9pm), yet we had to wait for drink refills, for the bill, for the bill to be collected.... It was a bit strange too, since our chairs were so low to the ground, to have the waiter loom over us. It wasn't something he did on purpose, of course, but was just a side effect of the furniture.

Overall, it was fine for a stop for two road-weary travellers, but if I lived in the area, I doubt I'd be a frequent guest.

2 Thank kellymiche
Dear Kellymiche,

Thanks for your recent review. I am sorry that the service provided on your visit was not up to our standards or yours. We are always working with our servers to improve the quality of service. We will point out the problems you encountered to make sure this does not happen again. In the dining room we also have chairs and tables that are not low to the ground. Some guests enjoy sitting on the couches, but others do like the normal chair and table arrangement. In addition to the salads, burgers, and pizza's, we also serve breakfast anytime of the day, SAJ which is a Mediterranean flat bread, crepes, pasta, chicken dishes, fresh seafood, and steaks. Our menu is 14 pages and offers a wide range of selections. Hopefully on your next visit to Lexington, you will give us another chance to impress you.
“Very interesting and eclectic menu-- yummy, high quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is quite good and unique -- offering a large and eclectic menu that offers lots of different ethnic foods. Our food was beautifully presented on interestingly shaped white serving pieces. My husband and daughter loved the spaghetti bolanaisse. I loved the lentil soup and appreciated getting the lemon juice on the side so I could adjust the lemony taste to my liking. Also, after learning that I was allergic to wheat, I very much apreciated our server offering me gluten free bread which was toasted for me and was quite yummy. My 9 year old daughter enjoyed the spring rolls and chicken satays. (Although I asked for the peanut sauce on the side for the satays, our server said it automatically comes that way. But when it arrived, the satays were covered and soaking in spicy peanut sauce with additional thicker peanut sauce on the side. I didn't say anything because my daughter liked it-- but no sauce on the satays as I requested would have been a safer bet.)

It was fun eating on couches-- my kids LOVED that. But when we went to sit down the couches seemed very dirty and stained which was very unappetizing and surprising for such a high end, quality restaurant. I was surprised to learn that the restaurant had only been open for just over a year based on how stained the couches were. A more regular cleaning schedule of the upholstered furniture and attention to spills would help to improve the ambiance a lot!!!!

Dear, Karenkd,

Thanks for dining with us on your visit to Lexington. I am sorry that the server indicated that the satay sauce was served on the side. On your next visit should anything be wrong with your order, please ask for the manager so that we can correct the problem.. We try to make sure every guest enjoys their visit. Thanks for pointing out the couches. We have them cleaned every month for stains, but now we will change to every two weeks. Once again thanks for your review and visit. We look forward to seeing you when you return.