“Nice, But...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
All over
“Nice, But...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My daughter had an early AM test, so we came in the night before and stayed here. Our 1st floor room was clean, neat and comfortable. The sitting/kitchen area was a little cramped, but OK for just the 2 of us. The breakfast was pretty basic, but good. Most everything was what I have come to expect from this chain.

However.....

The exercise room is on the fourth floor. This is not that much of a problem except that the fourth floor is also a smoking floor. The elevator doors opened and the stench rolled in. The entire floor, encluding the fitness center stank. Flat, nauseatingly, stank. I walked as far as the fitness center, opened the door, and had to leave before I was physically ill. Fortunately, Fayette Mall was only a couple of blocks away, and was open at 8:30am (probably earlier) for walking.

The other problem was the basketball academy that was a couple of doors down from the hotel. They do not have enough parking, and the people parallel park along the street - on both sides. I could barely see to turn out, and would have been hard pressed to get out of the parking lot at all if I had been driving our family van. I was there on a Friday night/Saturday morning, so this may not always be an issue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank horselover23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Laurel Fork, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed two nights. Free airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast were selling points for me. A bonus was the evening Manager's Reception meal. Since the suites include small kitchens, it is very handy to have a store like Miejer's just across the street from the hotel. Public transportation to downtown Lexington was about a 10 to 15 minute walk away at the Fayette Mall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I travel 3-5 days a week for work and stay in hotels on a weekly basis, so I'm somewhat picky when it comes to amenities. This particular stay was for a family wedding (the wedding guests block of rooms was at Homewood Stuites) and I was pleasantly surprised at how great this hotel was - the amenities were fantastic and we opted to stay in rather than going out for breakfast, seeing that the food was restaurant quality. They had chocolate chip cookies at the check-in desk at night and anytime you pass a staff member in the hall they move aside, greet you and look you in the eye with a smile. The beds were extremely comfortable and clean. It's located across the street from a grocery store, food venues and is about a block away from the mall. I will definitely stay here again the next time I end up in Lexington.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sherrills ford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in several Homewood Suites but was a little disappointed with this one. I love their studio rooms because they are usually large and roomy. This was a 2 room suite, small living room w/kitchen and small bedroom, just enough room for king bed and TV. They do offer dinner M-Thurs and that is always great if I don't feel like going out. The room was clean, just a little cramped.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great hotel - great room - excellent service - excellent location! I highly recommend choosing the Homewood Suites in Lexington! The hot breakfast in the morning was wonderful...and the evening reception took the hassle out of finding someplace to go for dinner! The kitchen space in the suite made it easy to fix lunch, snacks and a midnight snack! I will stay at this hotel each time I visit the area.

Room Tip: Book a suite....wonderful!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Currently working for a company in Lexington where they have a corporate relationship with Homewood Suites and they make the arrangements. While I find the staff very friendly, the facilities really are much to be desired. The first time that I stayed there, I came back from dinner and my room smelled like a bar full of cigarette smoke. Opened the windows and door to the hallway to air it out even though it was 30 degrees out. Next morning woke to the same smell, packed up my belongings, and checked into a non-smoking Marriott for the remainder of my stay in Lexington on my own dime. Have been back several times since due to the above mentioned relationship and requested a lower floor towards the lobby as I was told the smoking rooms were up top. The smoke smell still has happened one other time and the front desk told me that it sometimes happens when the smoke gets into the ventilation system. One of the rooms, the windows couldn't physically close completely and won't latch, causing a draft since it is winter. There is a TV in the lobby common area that is so old you can hardly make out the figures on the screen. The exercise facility is located in the smoking hallway on the fourth floor - bit odd to me. Breakfast and reception food was good and that service staff was very friendly. When I come to Keenland with family and friends, we choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
LaTonyaJ, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Lexington, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you had some inconveniences with the heating unit in your room. I thank you for bringing this up to my attention. I have contacted our maintenance crew and have already fixed this issue. In addition I truly apologize if you found the quality of our breakfast selection to be below your expectations. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us and we will take your comments into consideration to improve our menu selection. Again, I thank you very much for your review and I hope you consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Would not recommend this location during the winter. The heating was very loud and when on felt like being under a hair drier - almost impossible to sleep with the heat on. Only one fan speed - unit ends up loud, windy and still coolish. Warm breakfast buffet had no do-it-yourself waffle maker, the granola tasted old, the cereal was mostly no brand name, the yogurt had very limited flavour choices. Kids refused to eat the scrambled eggs for their "funny taste". All food seemed low quality and old. Tip: Eat only food there they did not prepare (bananas). Hotel seemed very empty that probably makes the food get old?!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends