“Beautiful B&B”

Lyndon House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Lexington B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Went on Priceline to find a place to stay for the second round of the NCAA tournament. Hyatt was charging 400/night, so I thought I would check out this bed and breakfast. Was very pleased with our whole experience. House is tastefully decorated. Lots of areas to sit and relax. Scrumptious breakfast. Anton was a gracious host. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from a week long stay .... been back repeated times and ALWAYS use the Lyndon house as the only place to stay . Great location to downtown and a first class property .
I travel thru out the US on business and the Lyndon house is a great find . Always improving , never been disappointed ! if you read any negative reviews , know that it would be from an impossible person to satisfy .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mrvicnewyork
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The inn was nice, but…..being woken up by a yippy dog at 4:00AM was not pleasant. Nor was the toilet that began to overflow when flushed in the morning. Upon check in I was told I was emailed a copy of my bill. In fact he was proud to show me how quick his IPAD did this. Two days and three emails and finally a phone call I received a copy.

These are not all huge issues but combined do not add up to a 5 star Inn. The saddest thing is the owner emailed me and requested a review be written for a B&B review which makes me feel he has no clue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
LyndonHouse, Owner at Lyndon House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I am so sorry the dog next door woke you. Being located in a residential neighborhood has it perks and pitfalls. On one hand the barking scares away bad people and on the other it irritates my guests. I wish I had more control over the noise issue.

New technology can be a challenge. When it works it’s wonderful, when doesn’t it’s annoying. Three out of the four email receipts I sent you bounced back, the fourth went through while we were on the phone.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our guests’ satisfaction is our number one priority, so the next time you visit Lexington please give us another try.

Anton Giovanetto, Innkeeper

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Let me begin by saying that this B&B has a lot going for it. Beautiful grounds and rooms, walking distance to downtown (just walk along Broadway and not behind the inn to avoid unsavory neighborhoods), gracious host, solid (though not exceptional) breakfasts, and an overall very pleasant atmosphere. We stayed in the Henry Clay room on the third floor which we liked very much. My main complaint was that the wifi did not work at all during our stay. We mentioned this to the owner, who said he had been having some difficulties with his new wifi provider; however, his solution to our problem did not work, which meant that for our three day stay, we were without wireless access. We had counted on having it, so this was fairly annoying.

Overall, however, I think I would have given this B&B five stars except that we happened to stay during one of the Keeneland weekends, when I gather the prices are higher. Though the website lists the "typical" price of the Henry Clay room as $180/night, we paid $250 that weekend. I do understand that in high-demand times, establishments will charge more. However, I just don't think this was a $250/night stay. It *was* a $180/night stay. The inn did not appear to be full when we were there, which only added to my sense that we were being overcharged.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
LyndonHouse, Owner at Lyndon House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

We are thoroughly modern people. When we travel we expect, no demand, to be connected to the outside world. This is why I bought a 3G device, not every travel location has a dependable WiFi. After you checked out, I learned that our new network’s security program was interfering with my guests getting online, and by changing the security settings my guests can now connect. I am very sorry you could not get online during your visit.

One of the perks to staying in the Henry Clay Room is, since it is on the third floor, it has a secluded feel. Even during our premium seasons, the location of the room can give my guests the feeling of being the only ones in the house.

It was a pleasure having you and your husband stay with us at the Lyndon House and I wish you success in your future travels.

Anton Giovanetto, Innkeeper

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I love staying at B & Bs. I would much rather support a small business than stay at a large, chain hotel. I was in Lexington with a group for a bachelorette party this weekend and one of the women booked our stay at the Lyndon House. We knew, since the bride lives in Lexington and several of us either went to school there or had visited many times, that it was in a great location. We thought it would be a great place to serve as our "home base" for the weekend. We are thirtysomething, professional women, and booked 3 rooms at the Lyndon House.

I agree with the other reviewers who say the house is beautiful. It was clean, the grounds were lovely, and they have a very nice patio out back. We were able to bring beer and wine in and sit out to enjoy the beautiful weather. The location was great and very convenient to all of the locations we were planning on going for the weekend. We were able to walk most places, which was great.

I thought most of the breakfast food was very good. Several egg dishes, different kinds of french toasts, and yummy hash browns both mornings. There was also a lot of it! My only complaint here was that the baked goods (muffins and croissants) were from Kroger, and the biscuits were canned. While canned biscuits are fine if you're cooking at home, for the price we paid to stay here, I would have expected something more. Canned biscuits do not taste good after they've been out for a while.

Anton seemed a bit annoyed with our group. We did have some boisterous personalities, but as I mentioned, we are in our thirties and forties, professional, and well traveled. We felt we were very respectful to the grounds and the guests, and never received any complaints. On Friday night, 2 of the girls put some beer in the downstairs refrigerator, not knowing it was off limits. There were also some cupcakes that we had for our group left on the kitchen counter. The next morning, Anton accused us of hosting a shower there without his knowledge and told us we owed him $250 dollars. In no way were we hosting a shower, but had simply brought snacks and beverages for our group. Instead of asking us what our intentions may have been, he was accusatory and rude. We explained to him his thinking was not correct and apologized for the use of the kitchen.

The other very disappointing aspect of our stay was the Henry Clay room. It is on the third floor, which is Anton's personal apartment. I found it odd that he rents a room that shares the same space as his kitchen and living area. The room was unbelievably hot and unable to be cooled. He had opened the windows early in the day, but this does not cool the room when the door is shut. I complained to him about it on our last morning, and he suggested I prop open the door. For the price of $249 a night, I should not have to prop a door open in order to have the room temperature be somewhat bearable. In addition, we would not be comfortable getting dressed and/or sleeping with the door open, when it enters into his personal living space. I understand that it is difficult in an old house to control the temperature perfectly in every room, but our room was truly stifling. We had to sleep on top of the covers both nights to even be slightly comfortable. This should either be reflected in a lower price, or the room shouldn't be rented at all. I know this cannot be the first time he has gotten this complaint.

I visit Lexington often, but I won't be returning to the Lyndon House. My advice would be to avoid it if you are not a couple traveling, and I would definitely avoid the Henry Clay room. We spent a lot of money at this establishment, and it was disappointing that we seemed to be a nuisance to our host.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lindsay T
LyndonHouse, Owner at Lyndon House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

I am very sorry your weekend at the Lyndon House did not go as well as you expected. And I regret not having more time to spend with your group – but with a full house and a new housekeeper my time was limited. However, your friends seemed to have a great time – and it’s good to see friends gather together and find joy in their companionship.

It is unfortunate that you were not around when the others arrived to hear my introduction to the house - which included my intentions to turn on the boilers Saturday night because of the cooling weather. The Lyndon House has a commercial HVAC system that functions very well, and when I checked in your roommate the thermostat was set at 70 degrees. So, unless the setting was changed that temperature should have remained stable and quite comfortable. If I had known your room was too warm I would have gladly offered assistance.

The Lexington Health Department restricts the use of the first floor kitchen to the Lyndon House staff. But, if the small refrigerators in the guest rooms are not sufficient for my guests’ needs they are welcome to use the third floor refrigerator. While my private apartment is on the third floor, the third floor lobby/ sitting area and kitchen are public spaces – which your roommate used to arrange gift baskets for the other women in your group.

It was a pleasure having you and your friends stay with us at the Lyndon House and I wish you success in your future travels.

Anton Giovanetto

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The home has very large meeting rooms for guest and it is a beautiful home. Also has an elevator so you don't have to carry your luggage up the stairs. We met some great people and had a lot of laughs with them.
Breakfast was not what we expected. it was a little skimpy the first day because we were the only couple in the house. However, Anton did offer to make us more. The second day was a buffet.
Anton did tell us about a tour that was wonderful.
Lexington was the highlight of our two week trip and we only spent 2 days there. Wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We met friends at the Lyndon House and had such a relaxing weekend we didn't want it to end. The place is very spacious with plenty of couches, love seats, and overstuffed chairs where we just sat and talked for a couple of hours. One night my husband just ran out for sandwiches and beer and we ate there. But there were several fantastic restaurants nearby (within walking distance when it's not so hot) so we ate at a bistro for lunch and then upscale for dinner. Loved the robes in our room and the view of the garden out back. Liked the snacks and coffee machine in the little cafe - and ate way too much at breakfast (see a trend?). Will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends