“I Must've Ordered the Wrong Dish”
Review of Coles 735 Main

Coles 735 Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Coles 735 Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 921 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Japanese, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Ashland
Description: Showcasing an inspired mix of eclectic fine dining and familiar Southern consciousness, Coles 735 Main brings a playful sense of variety to Lexington’s dining scene. Lexington Kentucky-born Executive Chef Cole Arimes presents a menu of reinvented American classics, global flavors, and rustic artisan dishes. Set in a tastefully refinished historic landmark in downtown Lexington, Coles 735 Main offers a warm, relaxing atmosphere – ideal for romantic fine dining or spirited get-togethers at the inviting indoor bar and outdoor gazebo.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“I Must've Ordered the Wrong Dish”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I would say this is a place try, but have low expectations. I ordered the Panko Fried Avocado, Crusted Scottish Salmon, and Coconut Pound Cake with this fruit compote. Everyone else enjoyed their meals. Other dishes ordered were the shrimp and grits, seafood medley, 18oz bone-in, cheesecake, and flourless something or other with burbon sauce... I was the only one unhappy. The Scottish Salmon was nothing special, it was like every other piece of salmon I had ever made or ordered in Kentucky. I expected more, something about which I could say "wow" but, no it was just another piece of salmon that happened to be encrusted. I sent back the pound cake after the second bite, it was terrible. But, I wished I had ordered the Panko Fried Avocado three times, it was heavenly. It was fried perfectly, and the sauce on the plate left me wanting more. Try Coles. If you've traveled around a bit, you'll probably think it's not worth the high price tag, but it's possible that I just ordered the wrong dish.

Visited August 2012

Dallas, Texas
“My favorite in Lexington”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Food is well prepared, presented and legant in a comfortable charming amosphere. Much much better than a la lucie.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank JPDallas
Lexington, Kentucky
“Could not have been better!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am a pretty good cook. I only rave about dishes I never would have dreamed up and/or prep that I could not duplicate. Coles is both. Extraordinary dishes executed perfectly. Service was warm, informed and helpful but not overbearing. Decor is restful without being stuffy. Menu is long enough to fit almost any mood and appetite. Wine list is very good, especially good for the food offerings. Food that was supposed to be hot was actually hot when placed on the table. Cold dishes were crispy cold. Only our first trip, but we will be back often.

3 Thank tenmiletom
Bath, Ohio
“First Time ...From an Out of Towner”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Went to Cole's with a group of 12......couple positives, food was good, presentation was good and it was reasonably priced with nice sized portions
One of the specials was gazpacho, which was to die for.....( and my own that I make at home is pretty good as well LOL)
Now for the negatives, since we had so many there was only one table that we could sit at and it was right by the entrance, so some of us were constantly moving our chairs a little to let people by( not the fault of the restaurant really, but might be a good idea to move the big table out of the way into another location in the restaurant)
Our waiter was adequate at best, don't get me wrong he was nice enough and all, but seemed to be put out that he had such a large table, and he did have someone helping him. He wanted to remove our plates fairly fast and in a few cases my friends had to tell him that they were not done. There were also several things that he had to be reminded to bring after two or three requests.
It is also a tad loud, the acoustics are bad....
But all in all believe it or not I would go back and give it another chance, because even the best of places have an off night

1 Thank Jackie H
Lexington, Kentucky
“Excellent upscale dining experience”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We went with four friends last night, and when six people all come away happy, you've done it right! We had two delicious appetizers- the fried avocado and their daily special muscles. I never would have ordered the avocado, but seriously, don't skip that! It was fantastic. Several of My friends had a special heirloom tomato salad that they raved about, and the other couple had the wedge salad with the best blue cheese dressing I've ever tasted (lucky to have friends who share). We had a chopped salad that was very good. For our entree, we split the salmon with horseradish and citrus glaze, which was heavenly. The asparagus and mashed potatoes it came with we're perfect. One of the other couples ordered a shoulder steak that looked (and he said) was delicious. In all, a memorable meal with great service.

1 Thank DeeBJones