“After work meal ”

Red State BBQ
Ranked #12 of 1,019 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

I love the bbq I normally get pulled chicken and pork, coleslaw and corn pudding. The best is the assortment of sauces available at your table.

Date of visit: July 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I stopped at Red State BBQ on a trip back to CIncy from Knoxville. I read some TA reviews and had a craving for some smoked meat! I have been fortunate to have the best of BBQ in many states including the best Texas has to offer! I also have smoked my own meats for 30 years. I always try the Q anywhere my travels take me! This place is just s short drive off I75 on a 2 lane state route between Lexington and Georgetown KY. Parking is a little manic during lunch as it gets quite crowded. Obviously popular with the locals as the lot was full! When I first got out of my car I noticed there was no smoke smell at all...? I assumed they smoked their meat in another location. You order at the counter and they bring you your order. The Grandma type lady running the register was very nice and answered all my questions. I ordered a full rack of ribs and a pound each of brisket and pulled pork. I also got some Mac-n-cheese as a side. I ordered this to go and decided to eat some on the road back to Cincy. They have about 6+ different sauces for their meats. I tried samples of them all...but I believe that great smoked meats stand alone and need little if no sauce! The Ribs had a dry rub on them that was actually pretty good...but there was no smoke flavor. The flavor of the meat with the rub was decent...but the lack of smoke flavor was evident. I also tried the Brisket...moist, tender, good beef flavor...but again no smoke flavor AND no smoke ring on the meat. Same result with the pulled pork. My wife noted the same thing when she tasted all three. I put the meat in the fridge and tried all three the next day as sometimes a lite smoke flavor can come through the next day...still no smoke flavor! So with no smoke flavor...no smoke ring(s)...I wonder if they just bake their meats?? Anyway...the meats were OK...but IMHO not true BBQ. The mac-n-cheese was decent. Overall It was a little disappointing. This may satiate your meat cravings...but for true smoked meats there are better options!

Date of visit: July 2018
radiodavelex, Owner at Red State BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

CincyTraveler60. Thanks for the review. However, I can promise you we smoke our meats. I've got about 40 grand in smokers out behind the restaurant. There's a very good chance you just happened to visit us in between loads.

Good BBQ is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks like more smoke, some less. Either way, we appreciate the feedback.

David Carroll
Owner,
Red State BBQ
859-797-4361

Reviewed August 6, 2018

If you are desiring great Bar-b-Que you need to go to Red States. You will not regret it. They have several varieties and they are all great.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

If your anywhere near the Kentucky Horse Park and need to escape to lunch, this is the spot. Besides having amazing ribs, the pulled pork sandwiches are delicious! Don’t forget to try their green beans and the sweet iced tea is the real deal! Backed up with a great staff, short wait time, and a relaxed atmosphere. Also, Bring a Sharpie and leave your autograph on the wall:)

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 5, 2018

We found this place on Tripadviser and were not disappointed. The atmosphere is great and the place was packed when we walked in, we were seated after a short wait. I can't remember our waitress' name but she was nice. We all enjoyed our food, I loved the brisket and my husband had the ribs, my kids like the pulled pork and mac and cheese. The peach bread pudding with vanilla bourbon ice cream was awesome. I had a great time here and would definitely return.