Red State BBQ
Ranked #6 of 944 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place was so good we went there twice during our visit! The pulled pork, brisket, and corn pudding were my favorites. I didn't care much for the other sides I had but for me it's all about the bab anyway.

1  Thank tabda084

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Been there twice, most of the food is great, the pulled pork is good, I love the Ky Bourbon Sauce. On one occasion the coleslaw was way too salty - couldn't eat it, but I guess if you ruin it, it ruins the whole batch! Place is old motel restaurant or office of some sort, but clean and the homemade desserts are great (banana pudding is not just the same ole tired bland thing you find in all the cheap places, it's really good!).

1  Thank Kathy A
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stopped in to try the BBQ on our last trip. I thought the flavor on the pulled pork sandwich was very good. I used the Kentucky Bourbon Sauce and the bun was the right size with it. Not too bready. I would eat here again, although the flies inside the restaurant were pretty bad and almost sent my husband out the door.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I used my GPS to get to Red State BBQ. It is a little out of the way and looks like an old country grocery store, but that adds to its character. The who greeted me was young and cheerful. The young man who helped me suggested I buy different meats and sides by the pound.iasked for suggestions to feed four people.i chose to taste ribs, pulled pork, and brisket, along with Mac & cheese, corn pudding, baked beans, and peach bread pudding. He suggested half pound of each meat and a pint of each side. It came to about $50. It was a busy traffic time about 5:00 on a Friday afternoon. By the time I got got the other side of town it took an hour. Food was warm, but not hot...no fault of theirs. The meats were good tasting, not the best I have had. I believe the portions would have been better had we chosen their 2 meat platter that comes with 2 sides at$12 each. That would have been $48 and we could have tried some of all their meats and more sides. The young man should have suggested that option. I think the food would have tasted better if it was fresh and hot as well. We liked their spicy BBQ sauce. I might try it again.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I could sit here and tell you how good the pulled pork is, I could tell you how the brisket just melts in your mouth. I could go on and on about the homemade beans, Cole slaw, bread pudding, grits, corn muffins ect...but I want you to go experience it for yourself. I'm a chef. I've been for 20 years, and I can tell you this place will not disappoint. From the most polite service, to the quick delivery of our food this place is phenomenal when it comes to REAL bbq, they are no joke. Now..if your expecting to walk into a sauve hip "trendy" spot, keep driving. If you are up for a real down home country bbq joint right out of Diners, Dives & Drive thrus...then this is your spot. Too bad I live in Northern Ohio or this would be a weekly stop. Do yourself a favor and experience real bbq at Red State BBQ.

4  Thank cheifwalleye