“You Gotta Try It”

Red State BBQ
Ranked #7 of 930 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited here on a Friday night with a group of 10 people. Love barbeque and family members had been thinking about going there. Great service and casual atmosphere. The neighboring motel gave opportunity for jokes and laughter. Simple menu and sauces on the table making it easy to help yourself. We had a variety of choices from the half chicken, the pork ribs platter, the evening special of beef ribs, pulled pork sandwich, the pulled pork platter and their Mac and Cheese. All the meats were delicious and we liked their sweet barbque sauce and especially the southern mustard barbque sauce, which they sell by the pint. Mixed reviews on the sides. Their special was beer cheese grits which had quite a kick and really just tasted like beer cheese (homemade). Baked beans very good, cole slaw average, green beans were spicey, mashed potatoes good, Mac 'n Cheese bland. Good sweet tea and they serve Coke products! Overall a very tasty dinner and we all agreed that we would return to this little hole in the wall place.

1  Thank cathe r
There are newer reviews for Red State BBQ

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We found ourselves here on a Saturday evening about 6:30 when all of the restaurants we had considered in Lexington were packed. It was such an enjoyable experience. The waitresses were more than accommodating and helpful and made great suggestions. There's nothing like getting your own $2 beers out of a cooler, too. I had the special double-smoked brisket spicy chili. I could eat it everyday. YUM! The rest of the ribs and pulled pork were what you would expect and the side dishes such as beer cheese grits were a wonderful novelty.

1  Thank NKyAdventurer
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Not a great looking building with an even worse looking motel that it shares a parking lot with. If not for the proximity to Horse Park we would have never gone in. Wow are we glad we did. We've eaten three meals there in three days. The place is immaculate(bathroom test etc) Service-Ariel was great tonight as was the owner two nights ago. We will be back....tomorrow probably.

1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had tried Red State BBQ before because we had a special deal through a booklet. When 10 hungry runners were here from Kansas for the Bourbon Chase (200 mile race), and wanted something quick and local, we accompanied them to Red State BBQ.. Do not be put off by the setting or size; the food and service were fantastic. Everyone was impressed by Ryan getting a larger group settled and served. There were a variety of items served, and the quanity was great for these well exercised runners. It is said that the locals know the good spots to eat, and the guests that night reflected this very clearly. During the evening, they offer full service, while you place your own order at lunch, and then they bring the order to your table. We would certainly take anyone there another time. Red State BBQ is tops in flavor, quantity, and service.

1  Thank Melinda E
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have ate a lot of barbecue during my lifetime, from very good to very poor. However, Red State BBQ just outside of Lexington is some of the best BBQ, if not the best, that I have ever ate in my lifetime. I ate the pork, brisket and chicken and each of these were, first of all, very flavorful without any sauces. Secondly, the meat was extremely tender. The chicken, which a lot of BBQ chicken is typically semi-moist to dry, was very moist. Their sides are excellent as well. I ate the corn pudding which was absolutely delightful, very moist and flavorful and I also had the slaw, which was very unique in its flavor, in other words, quite delicious! The food was so good that I wanted to eat the basket that the food came in! lol. The customer service is excellent as well! Ryan, our server took our order right away, brought our drinks quickly, was very attentive, knowledgeable of the menu and how they cook the BBQ, very friendly and hospitable and the food came quickly to the table without a long wait! Red State, you need to hang on to Ryan; he is a top notch server and your cooks are awesome as well! The décor of the restaurant is a little rustic and the outside surroundings a little run down, but do not let appearances fool you as to the quality of the food and service inside! We will definitely eat there again when we pass back thru Lexington on I-75. Look for there sign on the I-75 information signs. Best BBQ in Western Kentucky!

3  Thank Geno S