“Best BBQ in Lex”

Red State BBQ
Ranked #6 of 951 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

If you just drove by you might give this joint a pass. It's in an old building next to a run down motel. Don't make the mistake of driving by. Red State has, in my opinion, the best barbecue in the area. Their brisket is superb-- get it-- but the ribs and pulled pork are terrific. BBQ places often have average to crummy sides. Not here. They're all great but go with the slaw and corn pudding. Delicious. Nice people too. Two thumbs up.

1  Thank silverstreak1

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were in Georgetown on Labor day and had difficulty finding a restaurant that was open. we found Red State on Google maps and the reviews seemed good. when we first arrived we were skeptical..... it looks like a scene out of the 50's a drive in motel with a small restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised to find some of the best barbecue ribs and pulled pork I have had. The corn pudding and slaw seemed made from scratch and as good as home made. We were leaving the next day and went out of our way for a take out sandwich for the road. The pulled pork sandwich was large with lots of meat for a hearty appetite. french fries were unpeeled and from scratch.

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Nothing fancy, but it was delicious. Some of the best brisket I've ever had. I preferred the Carolina mustard-style BBQ sauce. We had the fries, coleslaw, baked beans, & corn pudding as sides and they were all delicious. It's a little out of the way, but definitely a place I look forward to going back to.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Really nice little place. Not fancy, but clean and the food is terrific. We went on a snowy Saturday night and it wasn't very crowded. I ordered the smoked prime rib. Wonderful flavor and big portion. The homemade corn pudding on the side was delicious. My husband and son ordered beef and pork BBQ and they loved everything. Nice waiter. Worth stopping if you are in the area.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

If you want good BBQ the Red State is the place. Located with the Sun Set motel and in a place that most would pass by you should give it a try. The pull pork sandwich has generous helping of meat on a fresh bun. The sides portions are on the small side and I didn't care for coleslaw or the potato salad just different then what I like. I had the beef french dip for lunch which was great. I would think they would do better with an exterior that was more inviting. It will be more for locals as visitors will pass the place by.