“Unique expereince”

Ranked #14 of 929 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Amid northern Lexington's legendary horse farms sits Windy Corner Market, a destination for delicious homemade Po-Boy sandwiches, plate breakfasts and dinners, bakery treats and sundries. We are Kentucky Proud, and use local meats and produce in our food!
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Take a few more minutes and head away from the city for a unique experience. Windy Corner Market serves up fantastic food overlooking rolling hills and horse farms. Their fried oysters are incredible and I used to live on the east coast. The food is fresh, most dishes are made using local products. If Hot Browns are your favorite -these are the best! Windy Corner used to be a general store that still sells interesting products. Prices are good, atmosphere is casual and since you give your order at the counter, the food arrives hot from the kitchen.Great staff and while you''re there you'll fell like you're on a mini vacation. Great place to take out of town visitors!!

There are newer reviews for Windy Corner Market

Reviewed May 14, 2013

If your in the area and want to get out of the city and actually "smell the roses" and see beautiful horse farms, then try Windy Corner. Good food, pretty location, good price. Try it you wont be unhappy.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I think I've come to realize Lexington is just not a "foodie" type of city that I am accustomed to after living in Texas for 12 years & frequenting the Austin/Dallas areas. This is one of the "best" Lexington has and after eating here twice recently, I'm left underwhelmed. The drive is superb--I love taking out of town guests out to windy corner so they can get an idea of horse country. The market itself is a surprise--cute little ambience market plucked in the middle of seemingly nowhere. Simple walk up and order type of approach, then they bring the food to you after you sit down. Large menu to choose from. First time, I ordered the barbecue plate (I know better than to do this after having spend so many years in the heart of BBQ country). Bleck. Inedible pork BBQ...barely edible beef BBQ...the chicken BBQ was actually pretty tasty, and moist, typical for Kentucky (side note: I have never found a decent BBQ place in KY other than chicken). Loved the little corncake pancake that came with them. The kids portion of this my daughter ate for 3 meals--large portion sizes. My kids were supposed to get ice cream with their meal but the line was SOOOO long at the front when it was time for us to go back & get ice cream, I gave up & left to avoid standing in line again after we'd already eaten. Not a good setup with this.
2nd time I ate here, I got what looked good as I was walking out of the restaurant the 1st time after viewing other people's plates. I was trying to avoid fried food the 1st time. 2nd time, gave up & decided to order fried shrimp & crawfish plate. The fried shrimp were outstanding & crawfish weren't too bad. Better food experience this trip. Kids had chicken nuggets both meals & first time they were awful, looking like dried out homemade fried potatoes cooked too long. Pleasantly surprised the 2nd time with the chicken nuggets--moist & actually had large chunks of edible chicken inside. Would like to find something on the menu I like that isn't fried but unlikely. A few more salad/healthy options would be nice. Will try again but I'm still left looking for a Lexington restaurant worthy of a Bobby Flay throwdown. Haven't found one yet. Certainly this is better than most of what lexington has to offer (my 3 is probably everyone else's 5...coming from the fact that several crappy chain restaurants are listed in top spots on trip advisor reviews...huh?), but I had high hopes of this restaurant fulfilling my desire to have a "go to" awesome little yummy restaurant I'd travel back to specifically if I moved away, & it doesn't meet that mark for me. I will say the homemade remoulade sauce might meet that mark for me--it was unique and delicious.

1  Thank konagirl10
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went there a couple of different times during our visit. Dinner was Kentucky Brown and it was super tasty. We had a shrimp poo boy and it had lots a flavor with great tangy sauce. The food was very good each time we went.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place is way out in the country, but it is a nice scenic drive. You order at the counter and then they bring your food to the table. I had the country ham biscuit with cheese grits. My husband had the Stone Cross Farm Sausage and Eggs which included red-skin hash brown potatoes, grits and a biscuit. The biscuits are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside - delicious. The food is locally grown and is very good. The market sells local items, such as grits, jams, salsa, and honey. The staff is friendly. It is worth the drive.