“Unique Kentucky Experience”

Ranked #16 of 944 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Amid northern Lexington's legendary horse farms sits Windy Corner Market, a destination for delicious homemade Po-Boy sandwiches, plate breakfasts and dinners, bakery treats and sundries. We are Kentucky Proud, and use local meats and produce in our food!
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Driving out to this place in the middle of horse farms and fields is absolutely gorgeous and makes you appreciate how beautiful KY is. And then you step into this place, somewhere between an old fashioned soda fountain and a modern trendy restaurant. The food is outstanding - have been there twice. The ambience is amazing. Worth the drive!

1  Thank apharmgirl

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Didn't look at TA first but went because of ad in local tourist magazine. On the corner of KY 1970 & 1973. From the outside it looks very "rustic" and you might think this is an old building. Once inside your attitude should change immediately. The place was spotless with a really friendly staff. You order from a 4 page menu of a lot of comfort food at the counter and then have a seat. Once the food is ready it is delivered to the table. I had the beef and pulled pork combo platter while the wife had just the pulled pork platter. It comes with a cornbread cake, slaw and brown beans. All were very tasty and the only complaint I would have is that they were slightly stingy with their sauce. I'm sure that if I had asked I would have been given more though. Non-alcoholic drinks are $1.50 from the bulk dispensers (coffee, tea or soft drink.)

If seated in the right place inside you even have a view of the horse farm across the street.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We loved this restaurant. A great casual dining experience. The food is great. I had the pulled pork, cornbread cake, pinto beans, coleslaw with tea. Everything was excellent. Usually you may find at least one item that wasn't really geared to your taste but not for me on this trip. Reasonably priced. The service was very good especially considering the place was packed for the entire time. The location is north of the city but it is well worth the drive.

1  Thank Darrin E
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Looking for a different breakfast experience, we turned to TripAdvisor on a recent trip to Lexington. This little place was about 5 miles off the interstate, but a very peaceful, scenic and pleasant drive (not too many turns). It took about 8 minutes to get there but felt worlds away. The atmosphere is very laid back and not the least bit pretensious. We arrived around 11 on a Saturday morning, and it was very full but there were a few tables opening up. I ordered the cinnamon roll (OMG!!! gobbled it up before I could get a pic) and country ham biscuit with scrambled eggs. My BF ordered the country ham and eggs breakfast plate (tasted much better than the pic looks). With two drinks, our total was $18 - not bad at all for a great meal! We were incredibly full when we were done, but we HAD to get some of the delicious pastries for the road. We got 2 cookies (PB and Ginger), a lemon bar, and a PB brownie mousse tart. All were excellent, but the Ginger cookie stole the show. The cookies were incredibly thick, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside - everything a cookie should be in my book. The cinnamon roll was served warm and tasted like it was made fresh that morning. Our breakfast items were outstanding, and we were very happy to have found this place. I especially loved their use of local products which makes everything taste so much better. I wouldn't hesitate to return for lunch or dinner based on the menu choices which were casual and inexpensive. Thanks, TripAdvisor! Be sure to check this place out if you're in Lexington and get some goodies for the road.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I absolutely love Windy Corner. As someone who tends to keep my patronage mostly downtown and its immediate surroundings, I find it not only worth a little drive to get to Windy Corner but a delightful drive to get to Windy Corner. The perfect place to take out of town guests - especially if it's their first visit to Lexington (I'm a nerd who finds it extremely fun to show that you can be downtown then out in horse country in mere minutes), and not bad for a lazy date night. Service is not super-quick so maybe not a date night when you have somewhere else to be...but I truly enjoy the kind of'1950s farmhouse' feel of the place. I enjoy going here and taking some time to sit back and relax, savor the food, savor the view. There isn't enough of that in my life and it's nice to exhale. My favorite item on the menu is the shrimp po'boy, but the grits are also divine and there are other great choices, too - anything "BBQ" and the tasty salads.

1  Thank lahdeefrickindah