“Disapointing”

Clarion Hotel Conference Center South
Ranked #44 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2014

When my family and I checked in, the young woman at the front desk was very friendly. But the next couple of days showed me somthing different. Our room was never cleaned, we had to ask for clean towels. On one occasion, we never received the clean towels that we were promised. Our trash was not emptied. My husband took out the trash. We will not stay at this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: I hope others have a better experience than my family did.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Sabrina B
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Conference Center South, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

I am so sorry for the lack of housekeeping service during your stay.

There is absolutely no reason why your room was not serviced unless there was a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I've reviewed your comments with our room inspectors. We obviously need to keep a closer tab on our housekeeping staff. We don't typically inspect the rooms that are staying over, but after I received your comments, our room inspectors are checking every room so this will not happen again. We have a several new housekeepers but that is no excuse. I am mortified that your husband had to take out the trash.

You can be rest assured that this problem will not happen again. Providing a clean room and fulfilling guest requests are minimum standards and we obviously dropped the ball on both. I promise to work daily with our staff so that same problem will not occur in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Overall it is a pretty nice hotel. All of the staff that I encountered were very friendly and helpful. I don't feel the value of the hotel equaled the $112.xx per night paid. Although that may have just been the room (281) we were in. A lot of things in the room were unplugged, like the clock, microwave, refrigerator, etc. Room did not really have enough electrical outlets to accommodate everything. Microwave did not work, it would come on for about a minute and then the power to it would shut off, after it cooled down it would come back on again and could be used for another minute. Someone stuck a do not disturb sign on our room door while we were gone, so the room did not get cleaned, but the desk was really prompt about bringing up fresh towels when we requested them. TV has controls locked out so the HDMI and VGA ports don't work (wanted to watch a movie on our laptop and show it on the screen). Breakfast was okay, but had a microwave kind of taste to it. The hotel was really crowded and there was not enough seating in the breakfast area. Overall it was a good stay, although I don't think the value equals price paid. I think it may have also been a better experience if the hotel had been less busy and other rooms are probably better. Beds are very comfortable and the Wireless Internet works great (probaly the best hotel Internet I have encountered). Would try it again if I found a better price / good deal on it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Please accept my apology for the microwave not working properly in your room. I received your comments after your departure. We've replaced the microwave in room 281 on Monday morning.

We keep the appliances unplugged to conserve energy. As a member of Trip Advisor and American Hotel & Lodging Association's green team, we use compact fluorescent light bulbs in all our light fixtures, recycle all paper and plastic items, and keep the microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, and hair dryer unplugged. I hope you understand our effort to make the world a better place.

I completely understand your frustration on the lack of outlets. We've purchased "multi-ports" that have three plugs last month. We will be installing them on top of the nightstand this month to take care of this problem. I know all of us travel with at least 1 electronic gadgets so I understand the importance of readily available plugs.

As for the room rates, weekends in July are busiest time of the year in Lexington. Because of that, our rates are about 20% higher on weekends. If your travel plan is flexible, please come see us during the weekdays and I promise you will get a much better rate.

Again, please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We strive everyday to make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their stays and I am sorry we were not able to do that with yours. I hope you won't give up on us and give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had to work the weekend of July 11-13 in Lexington, KY. I booked a room at the Best Western Conference center because I took my son and mother with me and thought that because they had two pools they would enjoy this. When I arrived on Friday at 6:00 pm there was a long line checking in and kids all over the place. It took about 20-30 minutes wait to check in. The room was nice and it opened to the courtyard going to the pool. There was a opened bottle of water left in the refrigerator that was not ours. The phone in the room did not work at all and I reported this and the gentlemen at the front desk ask me if I needed the phone?? Anyway it was not fixed all weekend. I had my cell phone so that was OK except for on Saturday night at 11:00 there was a fire alarm and I could not call the front desk. The pools were always so crowded as was the breakfast area. We had to get our breakfast and go back to the room to eat because there was no place to sit inside or outside. The breakfast was very good with biscuits and gravy, sausage, potatoes, cereal, toast etc.. The hotel was Ok I just prefer a more peaceful place. They do have refrigerator and microwaves in the room which is nice. The bed and the pillows were very nice as well. If it wasn't family vacation time I am sure that it would have been less crowded.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Verly123

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments.

Please accept my apology for the wait at check-in and the pools and breakfast room being crowded.

We were completely full during the weekend you stayed with us. Even with 13,000 sq. ft. of indoor pool area, when we have over 400 guests in the hotel, as you noticed, things can get really hectic.

We are really proud to have a really large breakfast room which seats 58 people, but when we are completely full, there is not enough seating for everyone during peak hours. I am really sorry that you had to take the breakfast to your room because you couldn't find seating. On weekends, the breakfast room calms down between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. and after 9:30 a.m. If your travel plan is flexible, please join us during these hours and I promise you will find empty tables.

I will review your comments about the water bottle in the refrigerator and the phone not working with our staff. These issues should have been addressed immediately. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional guest service, and I am really sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you better.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Remodel was in process during our stay. Our room was very nice. We didn't arrive until around 8 p.m. Room wasn't ready, waited 30 minutes. Hot tub in pool area didn't work. Good breakfast. Very comfortable bed. Lots of confusion when fire alarm went off at 11 p.m. Need better training. Staff was very nice. Faster to take stairs than elevator but glad to have it for taking up luggage. Would recommend overall.

1  Thank okannie

I am so sorry for the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. The alarm monitoring service called me about 12:30 a.m. to let me know what was going on.

On Monday morning, we finally found out that there was a power surge that went through the ice machine at entrance 1 which set off the fire alarm. I know this doesn't help the fact that you were woken up at 12:30 a.m., but the ice machine has been repaired.

Again, I am so sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. With fingers crossed, we won't have another issue with the equipment or alarm.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had a long road trip from North Carolina to Wichita Kansas and stayed here… Everything was wonderful and we would do it again and look forward to it! The bed was comfortable, all of the amenities were available, the staff was polite & friendly... we didn't have time for the fitness center but was glad to see it for our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank RFoley74
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Conference Center South, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry you didn't get to use the fitness room. The stepper, bicycle, and treadmill were all purchased this spring. We've installed drop ceiling, improved the lighting, replaced carpet, and painted one of the walls red ... I love the way the room turned out.

Hopefully, you will more time on your next stay and have the time to put in a workout and relax in the whirlpool before you leave.

We so appreciate your business, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The staff was very efficient, pleasant and helpful. One clerk even went to his own car to get us change for the laundry. Breakfast was fine, and the location is excellent: just off the highway and on a road that takes one straight to downtown Lexington. The Murphy's Grille was out of several items and I would not go there again, but we would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

I love the picture of your dog!

Please accept my apology for Murphy's Bar & Grill running out of menu items. I will do an inventory first thing in the morning and make sure everything gets stocked.

With the downtown being only 8 miles from the hotel, our guests love the fact that they can stay with us away from the downtown traffic. I hope you were able to enjoy the indoor and outdoor pools during your stay.

We are pet friendly so please bring your dog with you the next time you stay with us. Everyone at the front desk loves dogs, and I am sure they would love to meet your dog.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

excellent hotel--décor, staff, extras--2 pools, hot tub, exercise room, amazing breakfast, beautiful hotel with a lot of nice extras!! the staff went above and beyond in a lot of ways. accepts and welcomes pets, which is awesome. very clean & updated and no complaints.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments.

I am glad your stay was satisfactory and our staff did a good job taking care of you. We strive everyday to make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their stays. We don't always get it right, but when we do, it sure makes everything worthwhile.

Again, thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.