“A Great Place for Hospital Patients”

Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center
Ranked #43 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've been staying at this hotel since October of 2012, approximately once every 4-6 weeks. I go to Lexington for treatment for a rare form of cancer. I first stayed because they offer hospital rates. I continue to stay there, because they are a great place to stay. I LOVE the beds. When I first started staying there, I had trouble sleeping lying down, but the beds there were so comfy I could lie down to sleep. I recently bought a new bed for my home, and I told my friend my new bed feels like the Best Western beds!! They are that comfy in my book. The rooms are always clean, pretty easy to regulate the heat, especially with the newer heaters being installed. I appreciate having the in room frig to store my medications that have to be refrigerated. We have on occasion had some minor repairs that needed to be made. Response and repair were always immediate. The one time wi-fi connection was a problem, they pleasantly moved us to other rooms. The hotel is quiet, and we feel safe there. Staff is friendly and courteous. I love the breakfast, on stays when I actually get to eat before going to the hospital. (Manager Kim, please tell the cook I love the eggs!) I've been watching a lot of improvements in freshening up the hotel as renovations are in progress. Although the hotel is a bit of a drive to the hospital, we can make the drive to the cancer center with only one turn. My driver and I have discussed if we might want to find something closer to the hospital, but we both agree we like the Best Western too much to think about staying anywhere else.

I'm sorry to put this as a business trip, but health issues are closer to business than any of the other options I had to pick in order to post.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your continuing business.

I am sorry that your stays with us are not for a joyous occasions, but I am glad that we are able to provide a comfortable place for you to stay before your doctor's appointments.

I am glad to know that you like our beds. Some of our guests find them too hard, but like you, I think they are really comfortable. In fact, I ended up purchasing the same bed for my house.

We look forward to your next visit in a few weeks. Please stay well until then.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center

Reviewed March 24, 2014

For starters the rooms and hallways were cluttered with remodeling equipment and supplies. Upon going in the hot tub, my son and I broke out in a horrible rash bc the chemicals were off balance. When we mentioned something to the staff, we were told "sorry about that" but no adjustments were made to prevent someone else from this. On the last night on our stay, they're were a group of families drinking in the pool and hottub. They were made to get out of the pool but we're allowed to, not only drink outside of the pool, but even get back in while children were swimming! We were told that as long as they aren't causing a "ruckus" or inside the pool with their drink they weren't breaking the rules! The hotel policy allows them! Apparently the hotel is not only ok to for them to swim while intoxicated but put the other guests (and CHILDREN) knowingly in danger! We were treated like we were overreacting. The front desk guy even mentioned just going back to our room! A room that was drafty and not completely painted. We were constantly waiting on the breakfast to be filled, and they never fixed the orange juice. We won't be back!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank 1221aaronamy
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Please accept my apology for such a terrible experience. It seems like we didn't get anything right.

You and I exchanged a few emails about people drinking in the pool area. As promised, I've already counseled our front desk staff on the hotel policy. Alcoholic beverages are definitely not allowed in our pool area and I am so sorry our staff didn't do a better job at stopping the whole situation. We have a couple of new employees at the front desk, but that's obviously no excuse. You can be assured that I will never let that happen again.

As for the rash from the hot tub, I've reviewed your comments with our maintenance staff and checked our pool log for the past few weeks, and did not find any chemicals being out of balance. I've spoken to our front desk staff and been told that there was no other incident. Either way, your safety is the most important thing, and I will contact our pool company so they can inspect the pool and make sure everything is in working order.

Again, I am so sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. We appreciate your business and make sure corrective actions are taken. I am sure you have no desire to come back, but I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

A very tired conference center. The Best Western sign drew us in off the highway, but the facility was far from what we have come to expect from Best Western. It looked like work was in progress to upgrade the appearance of the place, but they have a long way to go.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Alan J
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Alan J.,

We try everyday to make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their stays, and I am sorry we were not successful with yours.

As you noticed, we are in the middle of $1 million renovation. Last October, we replaced all the carpet in our public area including the guestroom corridors, breakfast room, Murphy's Bar & Grill, business center, and all of our meeting rooms. By the end of next week, all of our bathrooms will have new tiles. By the end of April, we will be replacing all the drapes and headboards in our guest room. In May, we will be installing granite vanities in all our guest rooms.

By the beginning of this summer, we should be completely finished with the renovation. We are really excited about all these improvements, and we can't wait to show them off. I hope you will come back and stay with us, and let us know what you think!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I hope it was just our room, but given the location and overall appearance of the hotel I'm sure the problems are widespread. Our Internet barely worked at all in the room, which was frustrating as my kids were looking forward to getting Internet access to download a few new games for their iPads for the rest of our drive. Even worse was the quality of the outlets in the room. Anything you plugged in—including the room's lamps—would fall right out and barely worked at all. We had one functional outlet that the family had to share (which was tough considering we just wanted to plug everything in and go to sleep.) While watching TV (since the iPads had to all charge and had no working Internet) it suddenly muted on us and we couldn't get the sound to work despite playing with the remote and unmuting/remuting, adjusting volume, etc. It was late at night and we were all ready to sleep so there was no sense calling in help from the front desk. But the primary complaint was how _cold_ the room was. There was a sliding door overlooking the courtyard/pool and it was drafty as hell. We had to max out the heater just so we weren't freezing all night—it was about 36 degrees outside and probably 40 in the room when we arrived. Turning on the heater helped, but I had to set it at 80 just to get the room to about 65 or so. The room was clean enough, but the hotel was across the street from a seedy looking gentleman's club, so we were weary of every surface in the room.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Christopher L
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

I will personally make sure that all our patio doors are inspected carefully this week and make sure weather strips are in condition. This winter has been one of the coldest I've ever experienced and it seems like none of us could stay warm. Our guest love the rooms with patio doors because they open to the courtyard, but during these cold months, I am sure these rooms stay much colder than the rooms the windows don't open.

I am sorry about the internet being so slow. One of our switches was damaged a couple of weeks ago and it took our IT company over a week to correct the problem. I know that there is nothing greater than technology when it works, but as you experienced, when it stops working, there is nothing more frustrating. I know our front desk staff was as glad to have the internet repaired as our guests. Fingers crossed, we have not had any issues since the switch was replaced and hopefully, it will stay that way.

We do have an ongoing preventive maintenance program. I will review your comments with our maintenance staff so that they can pay a closer attention to loose outlets.

Again, I am so sorry your stay was less than pleasant. I appreciate your feed back and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I was impressed with this hotel. The staff from the front desk to the bar was very nice and pleasant to deal with. The indoor pool was also very nice. They are in the process of updating the hotel so it was a little out of sorts but still was nice. The only thing I could complain about was the exterior needs a little attention.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Shorty74
Reviewed March 15, 2014

He knows exactly what he did.

As if no one ever worked at the front desk before.

We had a friend who lives in Lexington with us off and on coming and going from the motel and were so embarrassed that every time we brought him to the hotel while we changed or picked up his car and the few things we needed that we were locked out of our room. When we initially checked in we stood in the hallway for over an hour until nearly six pm (check in at four).

Never complained once. THEN. The room key ceased opening the outside door but still sort of opened our room. SORT OF. THEN we left ONE MORE TIME and the key stopped working AT ALL. So another person was dispatched to the room and worked on our door for an hour and a half. The tv NEVER EVER worked.
The manager did do this on purpose.

How else would he know to greet us at four am unless he DE-PROGRAMMED OUR KEYS AGAIN?

THIS DOOR HAS JUST ABOUT HAD IT HE SAID. Yes.

And you should have put us in a room with an actual working door although between you and I ... WE BOTH KNOW that you did that to us purposefully.

So, that's fine.

You are not a hotel proprietor but a whack job. NO ONE believes that the door was faulty.

NO ONE ELSE had trouble with their keys.

Disgusting. You should be sued.

Room Tip: Just avoid it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I am so sorry for the problem you encountered due to the key not working properly.

I am just mortified that you had so many issues with the key. I know that technology is great when it works, but when it quits, like you experienced, there is nothing more frustrating.

I know that our staff changed the batteries and re-programmed the lock for you. Obviously, this did not resolve the issue. I've contacted the lock company today and I've been told that they will follow up with us in the morning.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered. We strive everyday to prevent problems like yours from occurring, and I am so sorry we failed miserably. I will personally make sure that the problem is resolved before we rent that room to another guest.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed one night ,March 12/14. Tremendous checkin experience with a gentleman on front desk - most helpful! Room was terrific- clean, quiet, and well appointed. Our dog was welcomed. Great breakfast and easy checkout. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

I am glad we were able to provide overnight accommodations for you and your furry family member.

I have an eleven pound toy poodle, Bella, who completely rules the house and me. I am glad Guy did a good job checking you in. I am sure you got to meet Roscoe at the front desk too. He comes to work with Guy every night. Roscoe is our personal security guard; we just love him.

We appreciate your business and hope you will come back and stay with us soon. We are installing new granite vanities in all of our bathrooms in May. We can't wait!