“An okay one night stop”

Clarion Hotel Conference Center South
Ranked #44 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband, my sons (ages 7 and 11), and myself stopped on our way home from Pennsylvania. After a long day of driving, we choose this hotel because it had two pools and a restaurant. We did not feel like getting back in the car and driving into Lexington to eat at a restaurant.
Positives: Great Pools- wish all hotels would have pools like these. Big, deep, and plenty of room for the boys to jump in, splash, swim, and play without neccessarily making everyone around the place want to leave.
Cons: The restaurant is NOT a restaurant. They need to take this off of the hotel description on the website! The person working in the restaurant was a WONDERFUL, KIND, and HARDWORKING women who made sure our time in there was the best it could possibly have been. This restaurant is one women as the waitress and the cook with a fry-daddy and a microwave!!! That IS IT! Nachos: cheez whiz, canned chili, salsa, lettuce and sour cream packets. Cheese pizza: generic Totinos frozen pizza. Chicken strips and fries were from Wal-Marts freezer section (although they did taste pretty good). Our bill came to $45!!!!!
I think if a hotel offers this that is fine, but we were counting on a restaurant! To me, this is false advertising and a gimick! We tipped our server well as she DESERVED IT! Obviously she is doing the BEST anyone could given the circumstances.
The rooms were old and the bathroom needed a good scribbing... obvious mold in the shower.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the pools, but really wished for better food options/ truth about what kind of restaurant they actually had.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Conference Center South, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your input.

I am sorry about the confusion with our Murphy's Bar & Grill. You are completely right in that our menu items are mostly fried and considered to be "bar foods". We do try to make sure our guests understand what we have to offer at check in. Obviously, this was not communicated well with you. I will make sure to review your comments with our front desk staff so that we will do a better job letting our guests know about the limited menu items. We certainly do not want to mislead our guests and give you wrong impression on what we have to offer.

Again, I am sorry for the limited menu items. We do have coupons for local restaurants. Next time you stay with us, please let us know and we will be happy to provide them for you. Also, there are a number of pizza delivery places and a couple of Chinese restaurants also deliver to the hotel. We do appreciate your business and we hope you will come back and stay with us.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

What a great and clean hotel! I am always nervous with booking a hotel but this place is a gem. Indoor and outdoor pool. Indoor hot tub. All are clean! I would stay here again!
The staff including maintenance man are very helpful and polite. I didn't need the maintenance man but he was replacing pool towels all evening long. Yes, best western supplies pool towels. Again, a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ErinHartGroves

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments.

Our housekeeping staff is going to be thrilled with your comments. They certainly work really hard to maintain the hotel and I am so glad you've noticed their efforts.

I am really fortunate to work with some of the nicest and hardest working people. I will make sure to post your comments; it's going to make their day!

We look forward to your next visit. Hope you have a great summer!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is hard to beat for any Best Western...anywhere in the world and I have stayed at many! The Manager is very helpful and can accommodate just about any need you might have from Pets to extra beds. The indoor and outdoor pools and Hot Tub can relax the road stress away! The beds are high quality and breakfast has just about everything you would want. Very Happy with this Hotel...Will stay again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard have sliding glass doors to the outdoor pool!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Johnny C

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your nice comments.

I am so glad you enjoyed our indoor and outdoor pools. We are the only hotel in Lexington that offers both indoor and outdoor pools. I know our guests really enjoy them. I glad you did too.

When we replaced our bedding in 2008, we chose one of Serta's top brands. I am glad you liked the bed. Some guests think our beds are too hard, but like you, I love our beds.

We are really proud of our breakfast offering and our breakfast bar attendants work really hard to keep them stocked. Thank you for noticing!

We will see you on your next trip back!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were very pleased with our entire experience at this Hotel. The staff was very helpful, professional and the Hotel was very clean. We will definitely stay again. The amenities and on site restaurant were great as well. Thank You

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Conference Center South, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for staying with us.

I am glad our staff did a good job taking care of you. Personally, I don't think there are nicer people in Lexington than our staff. I am really lucky to be working with such nice people. They all embody the spirit of "southern hospitality".

Please come back and see us on your next trip through Lexington. You can let us know what you think about our new hallway carpet!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We checked in after 7 hours travel, immediately went and checked out the indoor pool. Had seen picture of it online, and it is what drew me to the hotel. That and the easy access from I-75. The pool was great! And it has a hot tub nearby, or you can go to the outdoor pool Our room was clean with a spacious King size bed, several pillows. The only thing I didn't like or care for was the loveseat/rollout bed, it was pretty worn looking. But I don't need it anyway. There is a desk & chair in case you have a laptop. They serve a full buffet breakfast every morning, scrambled eggs, link sausage, fruit, toast, bagel, waffles, cereal, and coffee with creamers. That was another attraction and a plus. Location is close to shopping and restuarants near highway. I didn't see any big malls. All in all, very pleased. Will definitely be back next year! Oh yea, its about 15 minutes away from Kentucky Horse Park, our destination! Thanks for a wonderful and relaxing stay!

Room Tip: Breakfast and the indoor pool with overhead open ceiling/beams was cool! Rooms on the back side wer...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments. I am glad your stay was a pleasant one.

I am sorry about the sleeper sofa in your room. We are planning to replace all public area carpet this summer. The carpet has been purchased, and hopefully, we will have it installed by September. I am also planning to replace the sleeper sofas in rooms this winter. Most of them was replaced a couple of years ago, but we kept a few like the one in your room. I will make sure they get replaced by next spring.

Again, thank you for your business. We will see you next year!!!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Although the on-site bar/grill was closed on Sunday, I had no problem finding a place to eat. The hotel was easy to find, easy to check in and had a great bed in which to sleep. What more can you ask for?

Check out was easy, too. The free breakfast, of course, was pretty much the same as ALL the hotel free breakfasts, which is not really a problem, since I can always find something I want to eat there.

Because of "balance issues," I have to book the handicapped room so I have grab-bars at the tub. This mobility-access (the new name for "handicapped") room was the second room in from the back door and was a breeze to unload/load the car. Interior corridors with exterior doors locked w/key card, with the handicapped parking space, naturally, right next to the door.

With my room being quite close to the parking lot, I was leery that folks leaving in the morning would be WAY too noisy passing by my door, but that was not the case. The room was very quiet.

If I'm back in Lexington, I'll be back here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
unflappable, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Conference Center South, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your input on our wheelchair accessible room! I am so glad that the room was to your satisfaction.

I do completely agree with you on that we are easy to find with easy access on and off from the interstate. Sometimes our guests use their GPS and for some reason, it takes them through the back roads and they end up involuntarily driving through the scenic route. I am glad you stayed on the interstate until you saw us.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Lexington and I will keep my fingers crossed that your next door neighbors keep quiet while entering and exiting through the entrance.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were greeted at the front desk very warmly! The host quickly checked us in and offered us some information about the hotel and the area. He also gave us a couple of coupons for restaurants and directions on how to get to them. Our room was easy to get to and very clean. The breakfast was good and fresh and plentiful! Hotel was very quiet. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and taking to post your experience.

I am glad Guy did a good job taking care of you. I am really lucky to nice people like Guy working with us. He has been with us for over 10 years now and I can always count on him to provide a great service to our guests and do the right thing.

Again, thank you for your business. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!!!