“Astonished they are still in business”
Review of Casanova - CLOSED

Casanova
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Relatively new restaurant at site of former Coach House.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were literally the only people in the building today for lunch. Server was friendly and pleasant, but that can't offset the INCREDIBLY high prices, dumpy atmosphere, and food that tastes like it came off the buffett at Golden Corral. I have no idea what happened, but clearly these folks don't know how to operate a restaurant. The glory days of Stanley Demos' Coach House are long gone. Tear down this building before it falls down on its own, and leave us the good memories of the place.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Never let laziness take over when you're hungry. We went to this restaurant because it was recommended by the local Mariott and it was also nearby the hotel.

Big mistake. Food was mediocre, service merely passable and desert (described as imported Cannoli - they may be right it tasted like it had spent a week on a ship) was the worst that we ever had.

And to add insult to injury, the appetizer never showed up, wine was over priced (but we just attributed that to being in Lexington, KY).

For $100, I could have gotten a really good meal somewhere else. Stay away at all costs.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

So, we went to this restaurant after reading the menu online and doing so research. The exterior should have warned us... falling apart, almost antique. The building was probably a glamour spot during the prime years of Frank Sinatra. Ok... to the food. The appetizer of mussels was amazingly bland, although the brick-oven toasted bread was nice. Our main courses of pasta - Carbonara and Scialiatielli con Gamberi - were incredibly bland and not very tasty at all. In fact, the Scialiatielli con Gamberi was more like a can of stewed tomatoes mixed with some shrimp and dumped over pasta. Service was fantastic, but if the food doesn't cut it, what does service matter? All we wanted to do was leave and NEVER go back. The prices were way to expensive for the mediocre quality (or even high quality).

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have eaten here 4 or 5 times previously, and have enjoyed our meals each time...this time, not so much. We were greeted by a very nice young lady, who was also our waitress. She brought us water, bread, and took our wine order quickly. I had the tomato basil soup and a caesar salad with chicken. My husband had the Cotoletta alla Milanese - Pounded and breaded veal chop, pan-seared $23.. The soup was delicious, but the caesar salad was not, and the chicken was sliced very thin, was dry, and not tasty. I did get 2 anchovies on the salad. My husband's entree came with a caesar salad. When they brought his veal, it was just a piece of meat on a dish, nothing else. I know the description said it comes with a salad, but they could have put something else on the plate, like mashed potatoes, a little spaghetti, some green beans or asparagus, or a sprig of parsley - the presentation of the main entree was very poor. He said the taste was nice though. The best part of our meal was our waitress. She was very efficient, pleasant, and the only one waiting on the 4 tables that were taken. I'll just order something else next time, and take the menu for what it states!

1  Thank KyBoop
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I rarely bother to post negative reviews, but I am making an exception for Casanova. Our server was pleasant and helpful and our salad was good, but my main dish was really unsatisfying. Since it was one of the simpler pasta dishes on the menu, and was recommended by the server, I was very surprised at how bland and well, yucky it was. The pasta dish was $18 and the salad was $4 so I paid $22 for a simple meal that several other restaurants in Lexington can serve consistently well and for less money. I had a pasta dish the next day at Bella Notte that costs $9 (lunch portion), was excellent, and came with a great salad.

I actually got one of the less expensive dishes. The most expensive was $29 and also didn't come with a salad. I think that the other folks enjoyed their meals more than I, but they weren't overly impressed and they weren't paying. 4 of us, with only water and no dessert, cost $130. I felt violated.

If you want an expensive meal, go to Dudley's, Bellinis, Holly Hill inn, Azure, Sal's or some of the other high-end restaurants recommended on this site. There are some AMAZING places to eat in Lexington. For Italian food, go to Sal's, Bellini's, Giuseppe's, or Bella Notte.

3  Thank KYtravelfiend