“disappointed this time”
Review of Casanova - CLOSED

Casanova
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Relatively new restaurant at site of former Coach House.
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have eaten here 4 or 5 times previously, and have enjoyed our meals each time...this time, not so much. We were greeted by a very nice young lady, who was also our waitress. She brought us water, bread, and took our wine order quickly. I had the tomato basil soup and a caesar salad with chicken. My husband had the Cotoletta alla Milanese - Pounded and breaded veal chop, pan-seared $23.. The soup was delicious, but the caesar salad was not, and the chicken was sliced very thin, was dry, and not tasty. I did get 2 anchovies on the salad. My husband's entree came with a caesar salad. When they brought his veal, it was just a piece of meat on a dish, nothing else. I know the description said it comes with a salad, but they could have put something else on the plate, like mashed potatoes, a little spaghetti, some green beans or asparagus, or a sprig of parsley - the presentation of the main entree was very poor. He said the taste was nice though. The best part of our meal was our waitress. She was very efficient, pleasant, and the only one waiting on the 4 tables that were taken. I'll just order something else next time, and take the menu for what it states!

1  Thank KyBoop

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I rarely bother to post negative reviews, but I am making an exception for Casanova. Our server was pleasant and helpful and our salad was good, but my main dish was really unsatisfying. Since it was one of the simpler pasta dishes on the menu, and was recommended by the server, I was very surprised at how bland and well, yucky it was. The pasta dish was $18 and the salad was $4 so I paid $22 for a simple meal that several other restaurants in Lexington can serve consistently well and for less money. I had a pasta dish the next day at Bella Notte that costs $9 (lunch portion), was excellent, and came with a great salad.

I actually got one of the less expensive dishes. The most expensive was $29 and also didn't come with a salad. I think that the other folks enjoyed their meals more than I, but they weren't overly impressed and they weren't paying. 4 of us, with only water and no dessert, cost $130. I felt violated.

If you want an expensive meal, go to Dudley's, Bellinis, Holly Hill inn, Azure, Sal's or some of the other high-end restaurants recommended on this site. There are some AMAZING places to eat in Lexington. For Italian food, go to Sal's, Bellini's, Giuseppe's, or Bella Notte.

3  Thank KYtravelfiend
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went for dinner on a Saturday night because we had a groupon- 8:00 reservation and the dining room was half empty, but it's a pretty big place! Service was personable- you can tell the staff really wants this place to succeed! Food was really good. We had the chicken pesto and the lasagna and enjoyed both, but they don't come with sides or a salad...for me, the one (big) piece of lasagna wasn't worth $20. Overall, if the prices don't give you pause, it was a great experience. But for people on a budget I think there are better ways to spend your money!

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I came here with my boyfriend for Valentine's Day. I thought it would be a lovely evening but it definitely was not. We were seated within 5 minutes of arriving but no one came to greet us for fifteen minutes. I was very frustrated and finally the waitress came to give us water. She left and didn't come back for 10 more minutes for our order. I looked around to the other tables and most of the waitresses were very attentive, we were not so lucky with Lauren. I ordered the calamari an shrimp appetizer which was good but it was 75% calamari. The shrimp were tiny. The place was busy so dinner took forever. I ordered the gnocchi and my boyfriend ordered the chicken fettuccine Alfredo. The sauce for the gnocci was good but the gnocchi wasn't seasoned and it was heavy and not fresh. I've had fresh gcocchi and this was not it. His entree was bland. You could barely taste the cheese and the chicken seemed like it was poached and had no flavor. I did not finish my meal.

Lauren came back and asked if we were done but never asked if we enjoyed the meal. I checked out other tables that were leaving and noticed the waitresses were bringing the ladies a single rose. I didn't get one and she brought out the check without the black folder. I just felt like we were treated very differently and poorly during our visit. I will not recommend this place to anyone, I've never had such horrible service.

There was no piano playing and they had us stuffed into the restaurant so that we were an arm's length from the next table. There was no privacy here. It was not worth the price either. They need to redecorate as well.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

There were four of us for dinner, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Warm bread with olive oil and spice dipping was brought out right away, we ordered a bottle of wine, and waited for our entrees. We had risotto with mushrooms and asparagus, salmon simmered in olive oil, lobster ravioli, and pasta puttanesca. All delicious. Sherman was our waiter again, and we enjoyed him, although he did not ask us if we wanted any grated cheese on our entrees. The piano player played soothing mood music, and the restaurant was almost full (on a Friday evening.) No dessert this time.