“False advertising”

and up
Lexington KY Horse Farm Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you are looking for a close encounter with horses, this tour is a must! Horse Farm Tours gives its guests a close-up look at the world's premier Thoroughbred horse farms. You can expect to spend approximately three hours with your tour guide visiting horse farms, Historic Keeneland Race Course and other attractions in the area. We offer a complete and comfortable tour with knowledgeable guides. We strive to make your visit to the Horse Capital of the World a part of the great Thoroughbred tradition. Tours run daily at 8:15 am and 12:45 pm. They pick up at the Embassy Suites hotel at 1801 Newtown Pike in Lexington.
Reviewed May 12, 2012

According to information on www.horsecapitaltours.com, Horse Farm Tours gives an "exclusive look" at Keeneland Race Course. In fact, Keeneland is open to the public free of charge and visitors are free to roam virtually anywhere on the premises including trackside for morning workouts, barn area, and cafeteria (aka, "kitchen.") Here is the link to Keeneland http://www.keeneland.com/visit/lists/copy/workouts.aspx

6  Thank Praline39588
MargaretWoods, Owner at Horse Farm Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

If you feel the tour booking website was misleading, we sincerely apologize. The reason why we consider the visit to Keeneland an 'exclusive look' is because, unlike free of charge and open to the public visits, our tour includes an experienced, knowledgeable tour operator who acts as a guide throughout the tour of the Race Course and its attractions. With that said, we will do our best to make this information clearer on the tour booking website. If you would like to contact us to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to use the email link above or contact us at horsecapitaltours.com.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Recently we had the opportunity to take a tour with this company. The guide did a great job and gave us lots of informative info. We also learned lots about Lexington, as well as touring the farms. We were able to get lots of pic. Our 3 hrs. was very well spent. This tour even picked us up as well as returned us to our destination. I would highly recommend this tour to everyone. I have friends coming later in the summer and I will for sure will schedule them on Horse Farm Tours.

1  Thank santafered648
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Margaret Woods our tour director was so friendly, well informed and inclusive of all guests. She took us on a magnificent tour of the horse farms and Keeneland Race Track. We have been back in Canada two weeks and we're still talking about the great tour! It is such a memorable tour. It is so worth its fee and so worth taking! I highly recommend it to everyone. I loved visiting the stables and seeing the newborns which may someday be in the Kentucky derby. This is indeed a five star tour!

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have written over three hundred reviews. Of those three hundred reviews, I have only once before rated something a "1." This will be my second time and if I could have rated this company a zero, I would have done so.

I have been on many guided tours before (check my other reviews) and consider myself a reasonable and positive person. Never, have I been treated so shabbily and in such an unprofessional manner. I am writing this long review in great detail, so that others can avoid my mistake in booking with Horse Farm Tours.

After booking a tour for a Saturday afternoon, I received a call the afternoon before at 4 pm informing me the Saturday afternoon tour would not be offered. No explanation or apology was offered and I only wish I had asked for a refund then. Instead, because of the late notice and the fact my wife and I really wanted to go on this tour, I asked if they were offering a tour on Monday morning. The person on the phone said they were and I agreed to move the tour to Monday morning. At that time, I also asked if I needed new tickets and was told it was not necessary; I was told to just show up at the Embassy Suites at 8:30 Monday morning and everything would be taken care of.

As instructed, we were waiting outside the Embassy Suites at 8:25 and no one showed at 8:30. At 8:40, we called and instead of an apology by this company for being late, we were accused of being late. Unbelievably, we were told the driver had shown up at 8:30 and left because we were not there. This wasn't even close to being true. Even if it was true, other tours I have been on have had missing individuals or individuals that didn't show. When this occurred, the tour operator usually waited for a few minutes or at least called the number they had on file to see if this individual or group would show. We never received a call.

At any rate, we informed the person that answered that wasn't true because we had been there before 8:30 and had seen no such van or bus from this company. In reality, the bus or van would have had to have left at 8:20 or earlier or we would have passed it driving into the Embassy Suites parking lot. In response, we were told ten other individuals were on the tour, so we must not have been on time but they were going to have a driver pick us up, so we could go on the tour. We were not given an estimated time of arrival for this driver.

At 9:00 an individual arrived in a small SUV/station wagon. There was no one else in the SUV/wagon. I was willing to let things go and just get on with the tour. Instead, the lady got out of her vehicle (I think her name was Cheryl) and was extremely nasty. No greeting, apology or asking us questions about what happened. Instead, the first thing she said to us was, "I told you to be here at 8:30." At that point, I decided I wanted nothing more to do with this tour operator, if this is the way they treat their customers, and told her to refund our money. She then walked away from us and drove off.

I can think of two things that happended. Either 1) They just plain lied to us about being there at 8:30 and there being ten people on the tour or 2) They forgot to tell the driver of the tour about us because our tour was changed at the last minute. Then the driver either picked up the ten people at a different location and never came to the Embassy Suites or the ten other people on the tour were at the Embassy Suites early and the driver took off because he/she thought they had everyone. If that was the case, I don't understand why they couldn't have just said they made a mistake, apologized, and made things right instead of falsely accusing us.

Needless to say, my wife and I were extremely upset at having our morning ruined. Ironically, while we were waiting, a competitor of Horse Farm Tours (also on Trip Advisor) showed up around 8:30. When he asked if we were on his tour and we told him we were on Horse Farm Tours, he asked us if they had forgotten us, so this may be a common occurrance with Horse Farm Tours.

8  Thank Jason P
MargaretWoods, Owner at Horse Farm Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

We are deeply sorry that your experience described above was frustrating and apologize for all the misunderstandings you have represented here. It is a shame you decided not to participate in our popular Horse Farm Tour, we feel given the chance you would have found our tour operators to be professional and all of our tours to be an enjoyable experience. Sometimes issues do arise, but rest assured we would never deliberately falter in representing Lexington or the Bluegrass State. We would love to have you back on your next trip through our state. Please contact us when you do and we will make everything right for you. We stand by our service, and again apologize for any misunderstandings that were involved.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Really enjoyed this tour. Not only did we tour the race track but our tour director had access to some of the local horse farms. We got to walk thru the stables and even feed some of the horses. Our guide included stops along the way for pictures. We also got an quick tour of the downtown area, which we enjoyed. You get picked up and dropped off at your hotel, very easy. I made our reservations online, and if you are in town for the races, you will have the date and time already set up before arriving.

3  Thank grandmaginny7