“Best Sushi in town”

School Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Richmond Road
Description: School Restaurant in Lexington, KY offers the most authentic Japanese and Sushi restaurant in the area, featuring amenities like a one-of-a-kind cocktail lounge, a conveyor sushi system, and posh, private facilities for up to 50 people. We also have a large open party room perfect for any event, digital karaoke, media facilities, and a big screen TV!
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“Best Sushi in town”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you're looking for sushi in Lexington, you must try School. The sushi arrives on a conveyer but there is no sacrifice to freshness. They cut and serve the fish right in front of you. Also a great bar offering and terrific atmosphere. Off the beaten path a little which i think makes it more special. The spicy crab roll is amazing!!! Only down side is they are not open for lunch.

• Visited November 2012

“Unique Fun”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant several times. Each time the food and service has been exceptional. Not only that, but it is one of the most unique restaraunts in Lexington. They serve both Sushi/Japanese dishes and French dishes. The sushi can be both ordered from the menu or taken off the conveyor belt. If you want a different kind of experience, make sure you get seated next to the conveyor belt. Its a lot of fun to watch them make the sushi and to watch it all circle around on the conveyor. The sushi is in my opinion the best tasting and freshest in town.

They have a nice selection of liquor, including various types of sakes. Save room for desert as well since they have a great selection of confections. Your best deal for desert is the chefs sampler tray. Of course you need someone to share this one with. That is unless you came just for desert.

• Visited November 2012
Dallas, Texas
“awesome, fresh sushi”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have travelled to Japan multiple times and have eaten several times in Tsukiji fish market where it doesn't get any fresher. I recently moved from Dallas and although there is a Toyota plant near Lexington, most wouldn't associate fresh sushi with Kentucky. However, I was pleasantly surprised how fresh and delicious all the sushi & sashimi was that we tried. We only tried 2 rolls. Spicy tuna roll was good but the "spicy" diablo roll with scallops was not spicy at all. We did not eat off of the conveyor belt, but everything we ordered off the menu was outstanding and better than the last several times I'd had sushi in Dallas. And extra bonus, there is tonkatsu ramen on the menu, a special treat as not many japanese restaurants have this & its delicious. Price is exactly the same as what we would expect at any sushi restaurant--we always seem to spend about $50/person but we usually eat sushi & sashimi, not rolls. Thought the edamame was a little pricey though at $5. Often it's free other places. My only complaint was that we ordered edamame and miso soup but it came out after all of our sushi??

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank konagirl10
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Love the conveyor belt for when you want a few more bites of something! Location is odd.

Visited December 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
“Food is Good but Variety is Lacking”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I actually wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster about this restaurant. I'm not sure that I would know to agree if we had not been to a sushi conveyor belt restaurant in Honolulu last May. Once you've seen it done right, it's hard to go back. We were there on a Monday night and I'm so glad that it wasn't because it was a slow night that the variety on the belt was so meager. We seriously thought we would have done better if we had come on the weekend. Good to know that that's not necessarily the case.

They were having a "3-year anniversary special" and all of the rolls on the belt were $3 until 7:30 that night. There were 4 kinds of sushi and 2 were spicy...which was not at all appetizing to my 2 friends. So they ate on those 2 kinds for awhile before finally breaking down and ordering off of the menu. The tempura is served "inside-out", which was disappointing to my CA friend...but the tempura was very light and crunchy, which was satisfying to my friend from NYC. But I agree...the prices are a little high, considering what you get. My bill, with a small sake, was almost $40. If I'm going to pay that, I may as well go to the sushi bar at Malone's where the variety is huge and the sushi is divine.

I would also kind of agree about the staff. Our waitress disappeared for LONG periods of time and she really didn't explain the ordering process at all. When our 4 orders were served by the sushi chef, it was all on one plate, leaving us to figure out what was what. And the when the waitress was tallying up our bills, she said "I tried to keep track of the plates, but if you see something wrong just let me know." The problem with that is that they clear the plates immediately. At the sushi place in HI, they leave the plates and you can count them and compare them against your bill. So, I honestly had no idea if she was right or not.

Conveyor belt sushi is amazingly fantastic when it's done right. I hope the owners are listening to these reviews and manage to turn it around.

• Visited October 2011