“To Know Sidebar Is To Love Sidebar”
Review of Sidebar Grill

Sidebar Grill
Ranked #183 of 901 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
United States
“To Know Sidebar Is To Love Sidebar”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'll be the first to admit Sidebar isn't where you go if you are in a hurry to get your food, are a food snob, or are expecting bells and whistles. It is for that very reason I love it.
It's kind of a hipster dive but without the pretension. So, like, a dive. A very cool, very laid back atmosphere - it might take 20 minutes to get a beer and a martini (I'd stick with beer and drinks neat or on the rocks), even when it isn't that crowded. I have out of town friends I probably wouldn't take because they aren't quite a patient and might not appreciate Sidebar.
But I appreciate Sidebar and I know plenty of others who do, too. It's friendly but not in-your-face friendly. I've been there when it's a little loud, but I've also been there when it's been very chill and the vibe is great either way. I like going when I know it won't be too full (typically pretty full on weekend nights with <25 crowd with a few 30-ish folks sprinkled in). You can have some drinks and great conversation, then decide if you want to stay or walk to another spot, or walk to The Kentucky to see a movie. Guys, this makes a cheap date that works well.
And though I said no bells and whistles, I absolutely LOVE the sweet potato fries, fried pickles, and portabella mushroom burger. The best is to go, have a drink, order your food, have a couple more drinks, food arrives, eat delicious food, one more drink, walk over and see a movie.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank lahdeefrickindah

Lexington, Kentucky
“I'm gonna say it, BEST unknown place in town”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Whenever i tell my friends which is my favorite place to get a hamburger in Lexington i always say sidebar. Inevitably i get a confused look. The burger is always excellent, cooked to order and the fries and chips are pretty awesome as well. The cost is very reasonable and have always been impressed the the quality of the food in such a small space. Patience is a must if it is busy, but it is worth it, i promise.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank sclem_11
south
“inconsistant bar and grill”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

i wanted to love this place, because i work so close, but after having tried it several times now i probably won't go back. the service isn't great and they have a tiny menu so you would expect everything to be perfect but it's just fine. they do well to have more creative sandwiches than the typical bar, but the quality is just too inconsistent.
one time, the beef n brie was mouth watering delicious, the next, barely worth eating. the chicken is grilled and sometimes it's yummy and sometimes all you taste is grill. the sweet potato fries are pretty fantastic, but they can't carry the whole meal.
every time i pass by at night, it's packed. the bar scene is great and i imagine if you're half drunk the food is pretty awesome too.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank littlepigtails
Dayton, Ohio
“Great Hamburger but not much else”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

On our day before Thanksgiving Day visit to Lexington, Kentucky, I was looking for a unique diner to have lunch. I had previously looked at options on the internet and the Sidebar Grill seemed interesting because a couple of reviewers stated that the French Dip was superb. That sealed the deal for my wife. When we got to the cafe, we were immediately seated at a table for four: my wife, son, his girlfriend and me. The inside of the grill only seated about twenty to twenty-five people. The waitress brought our menus and I immediately asked about the French Dip. She said it was fantastic but only served in the evenings. Bummer! Double bummer. We ordered but the appetizer and main course took an exceptionally long time to arrive. She was the only server other than the bartender. The place was drastically understaffed. Anyway, the chili cheese fries appetizer was very good. Three of us ordered the Grill's specialty hamburger which was very, very good: thick and juicy. The hamburgers came with the house's homemade potato chips served in a variety of flavors. My wife had the bar-b-q sandwich which was almost inedible because of too many shakes of the cayenne pepper shaker. This diner will likely thrive with the population of UK students for lunch and evening dinner but it will do so without me. There are too many diners and cafes in this area for me to come back here.

• Visited November 2012
Lexington
“good hamburgers”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

quaint place located downtown across from the courthouses...everything is cooked to order, and all 7 of us enjoyed our sandwiches. They have different specials every day.

Visited August 2012