“Upgrade”

University Inn Hotel
Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife was having a medical procedure done and the location was very convenient. We asked for an upgrade to a king size bed and this was given to us for a nominal fee. The upgrade was well worth it! We stayed in the main building on the second floor. The room did have a dressing mirror and counter outside the bathroom. In the main part, there was a long counter with a small sink, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee maker. Also, there was a mirror that run the full length of the counter. The bed was very comfortable. The room was clean and quiet, and the staff was pleasant. The breakfast area had plenty of room, and the breakfast was the basic continental breakfast. Our stay was a very pleasant one.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2013

due to a medical procedure for my spouse we stayed there one night. I feel fortunate this Inn was available in close proximity to the hospital as it certainly made travel a convenience for us as it only took 5 minutes or so to get to the hospital. Check in was fast and we were assigned to the annex bldg. The room was double beds. Small bathroom. The room was very clean with no issues. I would say it was the bare essentials but again this was not an issue as we were only there to sleep and prepare for the medical procedure the next day. Breakfast was free and it was cereal, etc. The staff was courteous to us during our stay. I had no issues with this place of lodging. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had the opportunity of staying at this location for 2 nights with my daughter while attending a cheer clinic at UK. Upon my arrival I was told that my room was not at the main hotel but acroos the parking lot. No problem except my key deactivated 3 TIMES as well as other guest at this across the parking lot building. Back and forth....back and forth....very inconvenient. No coffee machines in rooms so if you want coffee.....back to the main hotel. The continental breakfast was nothing more than cereal, toast and hard boiled eggs. NO FRUIT, NO YOGURT. Lastly, the hair dryer kept shutting off. On a positive note.....it was pretty clean and the beds were comfortable. I would not return at the rate I paid.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed two different times at this motel in a week's time. It was provided to us by my husband's cardiologist free of charge the first night, a nice room, with very comfortable beds, and a nicely laid out, clean to outward appearences room. I kept the room for the next two nights, at a deeply discounted price so that I could be close to the hospital after my husband's open heart surgery. In an effort to save money, I left on Friday night, and went to a cheaper motel, believing I could keep it until it was time to leave to go home, however, this was not the case. (I'll review that motel later in the day today) To make a long story short, I returned to the hotel yesterday (03/18/2013) expecting to be treated with as much compassion and caring as I had been there just a few days earlier. Surprise~!
Nope. No concern, compassion, caring, nor anything else. I was charge nearly $30.00 higher this week than I was last week, even though I downgraded in rooms, and requested the hospital rate I'd hate the week before.
I am including part of an email I recieved from them when I complained:

"I am following up with the comment card you left. I am not sure where you got the info that our hospital rate is $65. The hospital rate is a 20% discount off of the going standard rate. All of our rates are based off occupancy. The busy we are the higher the rate. Anyone coming for hospital is to receive 20% off that going rate, which you did receive. We don’t have a set rate , and haven’t for several years. I would suggest making your reservations as soon as possible to ensure the cheapest rate.
Jamie Adams, General Manager"
As you can see, this general manager was not interested at all in "helping" me.
I would NEVER recommend this hotel. ESPECIALLY to anyone who has a loved on in the hospital that you know may be there for an extended period of time.
The rooms were okay in the main building, but the second building, where I had to go in the rain when I checked in by the way, is older, run down, decorated very shoddy, and I would not have stayed there last night, I'd have demanded my money back and moved on if it wasn't already so late.
They apparently do NOT care if you are staying in their motel because of a serious illness or operation of a family member. They are in it ONLY for the money.
And by the way, before you say that- Yes, 100% yes, I have seen actual "Hotels" (nice ones too, at that) actually give deep discounts for family members in a situation like this- as much as 50 to 60 percent off, knowing that their profits could easily be made from guests who enjoyed their stay at their facilities and would be return customers.
University Inn could learn a thing of two from folks that care about their guests and their guests satisfaction.
I will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building where the customer service/check in/check out desk is located. I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had a good stay at University Inn for 3 nights. There are couple of observations- 1. two double beds were too much for a single person and 2. breakfast could have been better. Paid too much as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Reserved room due to my father being hospitalized at Central Baptist Hospital and location was extremely convenient. Was told that they had a room due to a cancellation so we presented a credit card to hold the room. When we returned from hospital late that evening we were told that the party who "cancelled" decided "not to". We were literally left out in the snow with no place to stay due to no vacancies elsewhere!!! Very unprofessional and sorry attitudes. Would not recommend to anyone who wants a place to lay their head at night!! Added MUCH stress to an already stressful situation.

• Stayed: March 2013