“The worst service I have ever experienced....”
Review of Banana Leaf South Indian Food - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Buffet, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Buffet, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I have never written a negative review on a restaurant before, but feel compelled due to the way we were treated here by the owner/manager himself. We were a table of 4 waiting on a possible 5th person, and he became agitated at us when our other person was unable to join us. He then recommended an appetizer (to a table with kids) that was so hot we were unable to eat any of it, and he just laughed when he took it away. At the end of our dinner we asked for to go containers and were told they didn't have any....after watching people come in and pick up take-out food in these very containers. I will never go back.....

1  Thank Jwford91

Reviewed November 11, 2010

My husband, from Andhra Pradesh, and I were delighted to discover an Indian restaurant with an expansive South Indian menu, a rarity as many people first think of Punjabi/North Indian foods when they hear of "Indian food." This restaurant was a wonderful treat, especially as it is the closest restaurant to West Virginia to supply South Indian cuisine (one restaurant recently opened in Charleston, WV..."Little India," and though it does have a few South Indian dishes, it mainly caters to a North Indian menu).

It seems the website for "Banana Leaf" has expired in October 2010, so no online menu is available for viewing. We sampled from their lunch buffet which may not be as large as some others, but offers a nice assortment of vegetarian and nonvegetarian dishes with EXCELLENT flavor and perfect seasoning. Our foods today included: rice, pakora/pakodi (fried vegetable fritters), lentil rice, potlakaaya (snake gourd) curry, cabbage and vegetable fry, a very tasty sambar (vegetable soup with seasoning), a homestyle chicken curry, butter chicken, naan (flat bread), fried popadum (very thin crispy flat bread), raita, yogurt rice, and kesari (a milk-based dessert). Their mango lassi (mango yogurt smoothie) was delicious too.

This is a small, family run establishment that offered very authentic and true-to-taste dishes without any frills. It is in a key location by the University of Kentucky campus, just across from one of the hospital's main entrances. If you're craving for or curious about South Indian cuisine, go and give this a try...you won't be disappointed!

We plan to come back to try their dinner menu, which had an assortment of typical South Indian dishes (uttappam, dosa, idli, vada) as well as many other options. YUM!

1  Thank giselle816
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Would like to have given them 3 1/2 but that's not an option. Ate the buffet--the food could've been warmer, but the spicy dishes were seasoned excellently. The appearance of the food wasn't too great, but it tasted good.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I recently relocated here from the New York Metro area and have been all over Jackson Heights where you can find all the best authentic Indian food . I've been to India and cook Indian food all the time...I must say Banana Leaf is something I least expected to find outside of New York or even India. It is completely delicious and authentic with a GREAT menu with a variety of Malaysian, South Indian, North Indian and Indo-Chinese food. The Samosa Chat is out of this world (a delicacy in itself), Dosa is incredible, great appetizers and main courses. Great place for vegetarians like myself.

1  Thank dreamal