“Another great stay, but the mystery of the glasses continues”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was our fourth stay at this property, and we will continue to come back to this terrific example of an Embassy Suites.

This time found us with lightning fast check-in, and a room exactly as we had hoped (as close as we could to the pool, rm 222). It's nice to see that our room requests left on the hhonors site are read, and acted upon.

A quick inspection of the room found only one problem. The cocktail glasses clearly had not been changed (one had liquid in it, another without the plastic cover). A call to the desk had fresh ones on the way. Meanwhile we discovered that the toilet was refilling extremely slowly, and that the doorstop at the main door had pulled loose from its proper place.

A housekeeper brought the glasses (more on this later), and we showed her the other issues. Within minutes Wayne (engineering) arrived. A quick review showed that the doorstop would be fine until we depart, but the toilet needed immediate attention. We wanted to go down to the managers reception to refresh after our long drive. We returned about 20 minutes later to find that Wayne had accomplished a refit of the workings of the toilet AND fixed the doorstop in our absence. I looked for any other evidence that he had been there (a drop of water on the floor? nope. A dash of concrete powder from drilling for the doorstop? Nope). Wayne fixed our issues with a smile, efficiency, and with an obvious eye to 'finishing' the job by cleaning up. Thanks Wayne.

OK, back to the glasses. If you read my reviews, you will find that this seems to be a thread with me at Hilton properties (HGI and ES). Again during this stay we found that the glasses were overlooked by housekeeping before we checked in, and again during our stay. We were there for 4 nights, and only once did housekeeping replace the glasses. It is so disappointing to return to find a flawlessly cleaned room, but to find the glassware was ignored yet again. It makes one wonder if there is a 'green' policy like the towels on this, but I sure wish someone would tell me about if that is the case.

Without going over all my reviews, I believe this issue has been present during 3 of 4 stays at this hotel. It is also basically the only issue at our favorite hotel.

Other good stuff - It's nice to be greeted by name, and to have everything as requested handled in seconds. Friendly staff throughout. Excellent service at the managers reception (Thanks Alex!) and breakfast. The front desk staff is as good as any I have ever utilized, and more friendly than most (Thanks Jamie). The pool was clean, good temperature, lots of towels. Better breakfast selection than most, better managers reception selection than some. Cool selections on the restaurant menu. Try the Hot Brown Pasta.

A few misses - One child found an out of date milk at breakfast, and it had begun to turn bad. Breakfast lines were longer than most ES locations we have stayed at. Not enough outlets for today's multi-charger world. The shower/tub divert valve was very sticky, and it was clear others had been pulling too hard trying to make it work (loose tub fill spout, we didn't report it).

Thanks again for a great stay. Leave us a bottle of dish soap if you want us to clean the glasses, please.

Room Tip: Rm 222, and those around it have nearly immediate access (but no view) of the indoor pool. They mig...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
eslex, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear zjxtinpusher,

Thank you for your very thorough review of our hotel. I am happy that for the most part you enjoyed our hospitality.

I appreciate you mentioning our associates and all comments, good and bad, have been passed on to the appropriate departments. Such reviews are extremely helpful in improving our service and I promise we are working on eliminating the "Glass Mystery".

Once again thank you very much for your review and I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at jan.vanco@eslexington.com as I would like to thank you personally as well.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for business and found it very comfortable for me, my wife and 3 year old. Staff was great and helpful and I liked the large open plan lobby and restaurant with fountain. It was pleasant to come back to the hotel each night and hearing the sound of a waterfall. Sounds silly, but you'll know what I mean when you stay here. The only thing to comment about, what is it with serving only light beer at happy hour!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear KKnKat,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel, it seems we have made your stay an enjoyable one.

I was surprised to read about only light beer on the tap, as our offering is Bud Light, Budweiser, and Kentucky Ale Light at the manager's reception each evening.

Once again thank you for your review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Although the location is great and the tropical garden lobby is beautiful, this hotel is not worth the room rates. The attached restaurant is not very good and the bar is cramped. I stayed 4 nights during the race meet and was disappointed. A nice place if it were half the price.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Debra C.

Thank you for the review of your stay and I am sorry you were not as happy with your stay as we would have liked.

Race weekends are an extremely busy time in the whole city of Lexington and it is true our bar can get very crowded at times. The openess of the Atrium should however make up for it many times over.

I would appreciate if you could email me directly with what issues you experienced in the restaurant as it is our every day goal to improve our service and products for our guests. My email address is jan.vanco@eslexington.com.

Once again I am sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay thoroughly and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My family has stayed at this hotel for many years aa a stopping point on our way to florida...and although a little more pricey than other hotels in the area we used to love the place...but our experience june 6th was not favorable...35 bucks for a cold rack of ribs...a cable signal that made the heat spurs game almost unwatchable...a hidden 40 charge on my credit card after they slipped a bill under my door that did not have it on there...oh yeh and 9.95 for internet per device (ripoff)...btw the comped bfast is great and the location is hard to beat but i doubt we will stay again

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Mdietz23,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your accommodations as much as we would have wished.

I apologize for the quality of the food in the restaurant, cold food is clearly unaccaptable and the issue has been addressed with our culinary and restaurant teams. As a sign of appreciation for your review, a refund for the full price of ribs will be done on your account.

The $40 charge was an authorization for incidentals, which is released immediately after check out. The process; however, takes couple of days as after our release banks usually hold on to authorizations before returning them to the account. We do not charge any hidden fees at any time and if a mistake has happened, we are happy to remedy immediately. Upon closer look at your account, there has been no extra charges posted onto your account and total debited has been as it is on your statement.

We provide complimentary internet to all Hilton Honors members and if a guest is not a member, the $9.95 charge is per day, but not per device. Maintenance has been informed of the issues with the TV reception and will correct the problem

Once again thank you for the survey and I am sincerely sorry your experience was not as good as during your previous stays. I certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon, so you can again enjoy our hospitality.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Beautiful property in the heart of horse country in Kentucky, this property came with the expected amenities of all Embassy Suites properties. The room was very comfortable, the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcomed and as if I was the only guest of the hotel. Happy Hour, also known as the manager's reception had great snacks. Ever had Baba Genoush? I did. The drinks were generous, food great. You need to stay here if you are in the Lexington area.

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear John V.

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we all certainly hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Excellent experience and value. Room was large and well arranged. Great location in the center of thoroughbred horse country - 20 minutes to everything. Breakfast was great. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
eslex, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear William S.,

Thank you for your review of our Embassy Suites. We sincerely appreciate you choosing our hotel for your visit in Lexington and I am happy you were able to enjoy our hospitality to the fullest.

Once again thank you for your review and we are looking to welcoming you back hopefully soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Everything was wonderful in our recent stay in Lexington. No issues what's so ever. Complimentary social hour was very good as was the breakfast the next morning. Flat screen TV, the picture looked like analog and not high definition.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
eslex, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Jkuchtaofmi,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we get to welcome you back in our hotel soon. Could you please email me your room number directly regarding the TV reception, so I can have our maintenance team take care of the issue, as we do have HD in the rooms. My email address is jan.vanco@eslexington.com