“The devil's in the details.”

Hilton Lexington Downtown
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Charleston, West Virginia
“The devil's in the details.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

It's nice to see the hotel renovation complete. Some of the design elements were really quite nice. The phones have a constantly flashing light on them and the front desk couldn't tell me why. The sleep number beds are great, as are most of the views in the higher rooms.

Checkin time is always horrible. This week's trip makes maybe the 5th or 6th, just this year alone, and I have never had a good experience checking in. The staff is nice, but their process is slow. It's obscene how long it takes to get a room. Save yourself a little hassle and leave your bags in your car if you self-park in the garage. The lobby is on the first floor, the entrance for the garage is on the second. Just go register and get the room before you start carrying anything up and down.

I have never seen security at this place though, and with the amount of foot traffic through the building that surprises me.

Everything is within walking distance - entertainment, food, shopping, sports. Don't plan on a diet in this busy little town. There is great food, everywhere. It really is a fun place to visit. The place is super-clean, well-furnished, and updated. No free WiFi, but I can understand given the location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

The front desk staff was super helpful and friendly, the lounge staff were super busy with the WEG but still provided great service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

This is a pretty good Hilton. My stay was enjoyable. The hotel's location is absolutely ideal! In the heart of everything downtown Lexington offers. No problems with hotel staff although 1 or 2 were inattentive and forgetful. It happens..... Not a big deal. The only negatives with my stay were... At check-in, they had a line for Honor's Members check-in only, yet it wasn't being attended to by a staff member. Waited 25 minutes in line to check-in. Please don't put apart a separate line for Honor's Members if it's only a decoration! Took room service the 3 mornings of my stay. The scrambled eggs were of the powdered / artificial variety. I had to call down repeatedly to have the breakfast "door hangar" card replaced. Maintenance showed up at my door at 10:00pm on my second night and were banging furiously on my door, rousing me from a deep sleep. Never asked for any maintenance.... Not good!!! However, I can overlook these small things since all other aspects of the hotel were in check. Will return again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HLexDowntown, Manager at Hilton Lexington Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you very much for your response and bringing these details to our attention. We strive to be the absolute best in service to give our guests a wonderful experience. We will address your concerns with our staff and make sure these details are not overlooked in the future. We value your opinion and thank you for your stay at the Hilton Lexington/Downtown.
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed in a room that had not been renovated since the switch from Radisson in October last year and couldn't believe Hilton would put their name on the hotel with rooms still in that condition. We returned for a night last weekend and stayed on the Executive floor. I'm not sure if the rest of the floors have been renovated like the Executive floor, but it was on par with any other Hilton in that class range. The service at the front desk was infinitely better this time around (although we didn't have to ask them for anything during our stay). The executive lounge left a little to be desired. The breakfast spread at a typical Hampton Inn is bigger/better than what we were offered. The wine offered at happy hour wasn't worth $4 a glass.

We found parking/valet to be a little confusing. There is no obvious main entrance to the hotel, and we had to circle around a few times because of the one-way streets (and no-left/right turns) nearby. If you're driving, I'd recommend looking up the parking entrance (on the W Vine St side) before going.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TNLaddy
richmond,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

Our daughter and new son -in-law held their wedding reception at the downtown Hilton , Lexington ,KY. It was absolutley wonderful ! The wedding co-ordinator here is the best. I cannot say enough about how helpful she was. These folks pay attention to detail and it shows. I would highly recommend this venue to Brides who want a great reception site . The ballroom was stunning!!!

• Stayed August 2010
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stay here whenever I'm in Lexington on business, which is several times each year. The staff are incredibly friendly and always remember me, even when it's been several months between stays. I love the renovations, appreciate the shuttle pick up at the airport, and enjoy the restaurant, too!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We spent one night at the Hilton Lexington Downtown, and chose this hotel because of the location and because it was listed as "pet-friendly." The hotel itself was fine - a pretty standard Hilton in most ways. The personnel were very friendly and helpful, and the entire place has recently undergone a major renovation. Our room looked brand new. While I liked the Sleep Number bed (We sleep on one at home.) I'm not sure it's the best choice for a hotel. Because the Sleep Number has electronic controls, it provides just another thing to "go wrong" with a room. In other words, the more "gadgets" you have in a hotel room, the more likely that something won't be working right. Like another poster, I had a problem with my bed adjustment as well - and since I have one at home, I don't think it was "operator error." At any rate, the bed was set on the level of firmness that I like, so it wasn't really a problem for me.

We had a drink in the bar, and they were very busy, but the service was friendly and efficient, although they could have used some more help. If you like interesting beers, you really should try the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I had never had it before, and it's not something I would drink a lot of, but it was quite interesting and tasty.

We also ordered late-night room service, and I must say that it was probably one of the better late-night room service meals I've ever had.

My only major complaint is the pet fee they charge, in order to bring your dog to the hotel. I must admit that my disappointment is largely my fault. The Hilton website for this hotel clearly states that they allow pets for a $100 fee, so I can't complain about being surprised. I hadn't checked that site. I simply noted that the hotel's summary info online indicated that it was "pet friendly." My surprise came from the fact that I didn't go to the hotel's detailed site and read about the fee, so I can't say that they didn't provide warning, but a $100 fee is outrageous. I understand that, especially when you have a nice, clean, newly-renovated hotel, you want to keep it that way as long as possible, but there must be a better way. Our dog is small, doesn't bark, doesn't chew things and is completely potty-trained, so doesn't make messes. She is also a hypo-allergenic breed that doesn't cause a reaction in people who are allergic to dogs. (That's the justification that most hotels use for charging a pet fee - they say that due to allergies in some guests, they must take extra steps in cleaning a room in which a dog has stayed, even if there is no mess.) I don't expect to have the dog stay without a fee, even though, in our case, the dog's impact on the room and other guests is non-existent, but I have a hard time believing that any "extra cleaning" amounts to $100. Are they really going to put an extra $100 of effort into that room? I seriously doubt that they did anything to our room after we checked out that they wouldn't have done otherwise. What it really amounts to, is that they don't want dogs in their hotel, but they still want to list themselves as "pet friendly," so they set their fee so high that it keeps guests with dogs away. And it would have worked on me too, if I had noticed the amount of the fee at the time of booking.

All-in-all, the hotel was pretty good. I'm just disappointed with the pet fee issue. Lesson learned - always check the fee, and call and ask, if it isn't listed. I don't want any more of those surprises.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple