“Very Disappointing”

Hilton Lexington Downtown
Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We received an awesome rate, and when I requested another room based upon issues with my bathroom, the front desk was very responsive -- other than that, this hotel is average at best. This hotel went through an expensive renovation a few years ago. However, while they have a new lobby, the plumbing (including fixtures) in the rooms is in need of repair. In my first room, there was a strong mildewy smell in the bathroom, there was rust around the bathtub drain, the caulk was discolored in several areas as if mold was making it's way to the air... It smelled very bad, and was just very unnerving.

I strongly suggest that if you stay in this hotel, you request a room far away from the elevator. My second room was on the same floor -- which was nice because the hotel rep who brought the new key did not offer to help me with my luggage -- but it was just to the left of the elevators. From that room, I heard every single time the elevators landed on my floor, opened and closed the doors, and every time someone got out or went it. Also make sure sure you are away from the stairwell. My room was right across from the stairwell, and that door slammed whenever someone went through it.

Unfortunately, as in the first room, there was a moldy/mildewy smell in the second room as well, but it was not as strong. For both rooms, the toilets did not flush very well, so I had to hold the handles down. The remotes for the sleep number beds DID NOT WORK! And when taking a shower, the showerhead sprayed water everywhere, and the cloth shower curtains dripped a large amount of water on the floor.

Both of my rooms were on the 9th floor, so if you choose to stay in this hotel, stay away from the elevator, the stairwell, and the 9th floor, hopefully your sleep number bed is in working order, and the plumbing has been updated. BUT... the Hyatt (up the street, around the corner and connected by skybridge) is much nicer, and always has been (that is the truth, because I do not like Hyatts). Or, if you don't mind being a little further away from Downtown and/or UK and still want your Hilton Honors points, stay at Embassy Suites on Newtown Pike.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator and/or stairwell. Make sure the sleep number bed is in workin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JperiodSMITH
MartyRothchild, General Manager at Hilton Lexington Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests – especially when comments can help us to identify ways we can improve. I’m sorry to hear that noise from the elevator and stairwell were an issue during your stay. We strive to provide a peaceful environment for our guests and I regret we were unable to do so for you. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by the condition of your restroom, the musty smell and plumbing issues you experienced have been shared with our maintenance team to be corrected for future guests. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again so that we can show you the quality of stay you rightfully expect from us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

A great place to stay in the heart of downtown Lexington. In typical Hilton flair, this hotel boast southern hospitality and northern pomp. The staff are very attentive and the resaurants are great. Time and money very well spent.

• Stayed: August 2012

I’m so happy to hear a great time was had by all. I will forward your praise to our hotel staff. Come back soon for more southern hospitality. Thanks again for taking time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hotel is in the heart of downtown and within walking distance to a lot places. Valet parking was $10 a night which I considered a value considering other cities charge a lot more. Attendants quickly pulled car around when needed. Hotel was nice and up to date. Our room had sleep number beds which were average at best. The room was clean but was hot and musty upon arrival. I believe the air conditioner must have need maintence because we could not seem to get our room to a comfortable temperature. We didn't complain to the desk about because we were only staying one night.
Overall it was an ok hotel in the perfect spot.

1  Thank Blankenboat

Thanks for sending us your feedback on your stay. Happy to hear you loved our location and had a hassle free experience with parking. On your next stay I would recommend our pillow top mattresses. Some people can never find their sleep number. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Lexington Downtown as my son had a college visit at UK and I wanted to show him where I was from (I am from Lexington). We picked the Hilton as I am a HHonors Gold Member and wanted to be close to the UK Campus. We were able to check in early and Mustafa was able to give us our upgrade to room 1731 on the Executive floor (a 2 queen room). The lobby was nice and the elevators were super quiet and smooth. The executive lounge was nice albeit a little small and had great hors d'oeuvres in the evening and a nice continental breakfast in the morning. Our room was appealing and clean and fresh. The beds were Sleep Number Beds, which I found to be strange but fine to live with for 1 night (the hotel must have been a Radisson at some point of time). We had problems connecting to the internet but it was quickly fixed and great girl in the hotels PR department came up to our room just to make sure everything was ok and fixed properly. The hotels location was great in downtown Lexington. About 1/2 to the tip of campus and connected by covered skyways to the Hyatt Hotel which was directly connected to the Rupp Arena. We paid $161 for our room and found the value reasonable considering the hotels location and how nice it was. When we are in Lexington again, we will stay here and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Executive Floor rooms come with a lot of great added benefits.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We truly are in the heart of downtown Lexington. I’m glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Thank you for taking time to write us a great review. I’ll pass along your feedback to all of our departments.

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. Rooms were clean, bed was comfortable. Accommodations were what you would expect from a Hilton. Spent several hours at Bigg Blue Martini downstairs. Great food, but the martini selection is a bit lacking.

• Stayed: August 2012

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I’ll pass along your compliments of the food to our Chef and kitchen staff. The Bigg Blue Martini patio is a great place to sit and unwind. We hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently had a wedding reception here the Coordinator Summer Cooper was truly a blessing all during the planning stages the atmosphere and the professionalism with each employee there was remarkable from the front desk to the servers!

• Stayed: July 2012
MartyRothchild, General Manager at Hilton Lexington Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thanks for letting us know you had a great wedding reception here at the Hilton Lexington Downtown. I will pass along your praise to my staff and Summer Cooper. We enjoy hearing we made your special occasion memorable.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Decent hotel with attentive staff and spacious rooms, located in the business district. Not much fun around if you want to go out and walk but conveniently located if your business trip brings you to a nearby company.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank OBofNY

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay while traveling on business. I hope your travels bring you back soon.