“Can't wait to return”

The Melting Pot
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

In response to one sad reviewer....if you skipped the cheese, you missed one of the best parts. That was crazy. Hello? Fondue? Cheese? If you wanted to be so healthy, why did you choose to cook with oil?....Your second mistake...... Your third mistake....no chocolate fondue for dessert? You missed the whole point of the restaurant. It's best you don't go back cause you don't have a clue. Now..for those who are interested...we actually visited The Melting Pot in Gatlinburg. We had no idea what we were doing. The staff was very good and explained everything. There were 4 adults and 3 older children. The first coarse is your cheese. I can't even explain how good it is. Next is your salad. The salad was very good. Kinda weird, but good. Next is your meat. You can tell the meat is nothing but the best. It's really fun to sit there, cook, and enjoy the food and company. By the way, the cooking is nothing but spearing you meat and putting it in your fondue pot. It's very simple and fun. After your stuffed with all this good food, it's time for dessert.....choose any kind of chocolate mixture you can think of and they melt it right in front of you. The dessert plate is delicious. Has a little of everything. You will leave here very very full. As far as the price goes, this is a fine dining resturant. You would pay this for any fine dining. The place is worth it. If anyone disagrees, it's probably because THEY DIDN'T EXPERIENCE THE WHOLE THING!!!!

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

After hearing great reviews from others, we finally decided to try this place for my birthday dinner. I was very excited & went into the experience with a positive attitude. When we arrived on a Sunday at 7:00 pm & the place was nearly empty, this should have been the first clue to find another restaurant. We were seated at a small table that I suspect was meant to be intimate & romantic. Our server came & was polite & accommodating.

We decided to skip the vat of cheese in an attempt to keep it somewhat healthy. Our salads were unremarkable, just average. We figured that the entree was the big deal, so we anxiously anticipated the beef, shrimp, & lobster tail add on. The server returned with a boiling pot of oil & our raw meat, along with a small bowl of veggies - 3 mushroom caps, 4 small cut up red potatoes, 4 broccoli florets. There were 2 batter options for us to bread our food in & a myriad of sauces in which to dip our food. The server explained the procedure in a rapid fire & almost bored voice & then vanished.

This is where things really went downhill! The table was so small, there was no room to carefully avoid cross contamination of raw & cooked meats & veggies. The pot is too small for two people to cook their food without knocking into one another. This causes the batter to fall apart & off of each portion. I burned myself several times trying to navigate the impossibly small table & keep raw food from touching everything. This was a huge pain in my [--] & an even bigger pain in my stomach later when we returned to the hotel! I will most certainly never return. You know the dinner is a huge disappointment when, on your birthday no less, you can't even bring yourself to have the chocolate fondue dessert course. I just wanted to get the hell out of there before I ended up in the hospital from food sickness or had a scar from the vat of boiling oil on our unnecessarily small table! As we left, we looked at the oil pot on the table, boiling away with a ton of black bits churning around, and couldn't help but remark to one another, "That's probably what's happening inside of our stomachs right now. Ugh!"

Now, we did have fun, not because of anything that this restaurant did, but because we had so much fun laughing about how hard we were working to make our own dinner for the low price of $120.00 of our American dollars! This concept is a good idea in theory, but in reality it was one of the most absurdly expensive bad dining experiences of my life & certainly not a good birthday dinner. One of the most hilarious aspects of this experience is how serious & pretentious the management & clientele take this place. Are you kidding me?!?! We laughed & laughed at the attitude. Who do they think they are kidding? Obviously a lot of people because I've read & heard so many great reviews about this place that I began to wonder if I was actually in the wrong place or something.

No, I won't be returning ever. We will stick to going to Malones or Portofinos for our fine dining in Lexington, where we can relax, enjoy one another's company, and have our meal prepared for us, not by us. In college, I worked in food service, both serving & cooking, I know how this is supposed to work & The Melting Pot is just a gimmick....a genius one at that...hmmm...let's see, we'll charge them outrageous prices for small portions & then we will have them cook their own food at the table. No pesky trained kitchen staff to pay, just prep work. Just act stuffy & above it all & the young, upwardly mobile will flock here to prove that they can throw their money away. This was one of the silliest & worst dining experiences I've ever had.

3  Thank BeachBoundKy
Reviewed June 12, 2012

There is nothing to dislike, the staff is great and the food can not be beat!!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

The food was really excellent as long as you have been trained in avoiding "cross contamination" and "Salmonella Avoidance". We were told that it will take around 2 minutes to cook the meat that was delivered to the table. After 2 minutes cooking in the pot we removed the skewers to test the meat which was "RAW" on the inside. I know a lot about cooking having been trained in food service by the department of health. I must tell you that I was frightened to death to eat the meat and chicken and seafood delivered RAW to the table.
In all fairness if one allows 4 to 5 minutes for the food to cook and I had a meat thermometer to test the meat I would have felt much more comfortable.
The cheese fondu appetizer was "excellent" as well as the salad and the desert. However one really does need a lesson in avoiding cross contamination and salmonella avoidance. Expecially cooking Chicken and Pork which require extra time to ensure that there is no Trichnonsis and Salmonella Present. The waitress did try and explain to us how to cook and use our skewers to avoid getting sickened to death, nevertheless, I prefer to have my food prepared in a kitchen by a trained chef who will cook my food to the required internal temperature.
PS..Expect to spend a LOTTTT of money at this restaurant. This place is for the very well off.
If you have to ask how much it costs to eat here then you can't afford it.

1  Thank ronandlane
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife set up our night as a romantic birthday night out. It was great. I can't wait to go back.