“Lovely break from the city”

Ashland: The Henry Clay Estate
Ranked #11 of 125 things to do in Lexington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The site of celebrated statesman Henry Clay's original 672-acre estate that once grew hemp, tobacco and grain is now a museum and National Historic Landmark, where visitors can tour the reconstructed 18-room mansion, grounds and beautiful gardens. **PLEASE NOTE: The house is closed seasonally in January and February. We will open on our normal hours on March 1, 2016**
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is one of the cooler historical houses I've visited. Our guide was very knowledgeable and friendly, and the self-guided walk around the grounds is just relaxing. The house is neat, but my favorite part is the garden. If you can, don't just run through the tour and be done; leave yourself enough time to just sit on a bench and watch the flowers grow for a bit. The first time I went with a friend and we did the tour and all, but I went back later with my husband, skipped the tour, and we just walked around and enjoyed the grounds for free.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

HC's home was on our summer "to do" list. The property is gorgeous. It is stunning. What I was disappointed to find was that this was not the actual home of Henry Clay. It had been renovated by his nephew since he had lived there. So...kinda felt like I was inside his nephew's home instead. Well...I guess we were!!! Ha! But it's worth the trip. The gardens are also very beautiful and there's still quite a bit of HC history. Love how they've found artifacts on the grounds from archeological digs. There is also a great little lunch cafe on the property. It's worth it to go :-) Put it on your bucket list.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The house is indeed a very nice place to visit.
Please, don't overlook the grounds surrounding the house.
Although there is a fee to tour the house, there is no fee to wander the grounds.
Amazing old trees.
Absolutely beautiful brick walled garden to wander through. Please don't forget your camera. You will find amazing photos within this garden.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Lovely grounds to walk (free) and several out buildings of interest including the ice house - take the tour and hear all about this interesting feature. The horse carriage and the lovely cafe on site.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Liked the grounds and the history; not spectacular though, was hard to find but I'd love to live in the nearby neighborhood