“"Cheery" Cemetery”
Review of Lexington Cemetery

Lexington Cemetery
Ranked #9 of 122 things to do in Lexington
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1824, this is considered one of America's most beautifully landscaped cemeteries.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Cheery" Cemetery”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

As cemeteries go, this was a nice, bright, well-tended burial ground.
Many of Kentucky's well-known can be found there.

Visited July 2014

Lexington, Kentucky
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Wonderful Place to Take a Walk”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My mother visited in May, and we really wanted to get out and go for a walk, but the weather was really unfavorable. We are avid genealogists and I'd heard great things about the beauty of this cemetery, so we decided to drive over and check it out. It's huge, and probably one of the most beautiful cemeteries I've ever seen. It's right up there with Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah in terms of beauty and interesting monuments. In addition, they have large, well cared for trees. The deep shade and meandering paths made my mother and I decide to get out and walk around after all, and it proved to be an excellent place to walk on a hot day in Lexington. We also visited Henry Clay's gravesite, and both laughed at how overwhelming and ostentatious it was even among the other large stones and monuments. Lexington National Cemetery is also located within the grounds of this one, most of those buried there are Union soldiers from the Civil War, and nearby is a single monument to all the Confederate dead buried within the cemetery. We were only visiting as guests, but if you are thinking of coming to the cemetery as a genealogist looking for a specific grave, do stop in and visit the office, where they can give you directions to the plot. The cemetery is huge and you will be unable to locate it on your own.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Tracy W
Evansville, Indiana
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Loved it, but make sure you're out by 5:00.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had gotten a map of the cemetery while at Ashland, Henry Clay's home, and since I'm a descendant of his, we thought we'd check out his tomb. It was impressive. There is a Basswood tree next to it that is the largest in the U.S. Lots of scenery and history throughout. It's definitely worth the trip. Since it was a hot day, we didn't get out a lot, but it's still nice to drive through. We thought it was pretty cool we seemed to have the place to ourselves, but about an hour later, we found out why. I've had a lot of strange things happen when traveling, but this is the first time I've ever gotten locked in a graveyard! There was a sign at the entrance that said the gates closed at 5:00, but we were already site-seeing when we drove in and were only looking at the map we had (which didn't have that little tidbit of info on it). Anyway, the very nice security guard let us out, and we have a great story to tell!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank pearce24601
Chicago, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“respect for those gone by”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

there is a ton of history that you feel in here-I was only there short time,,the WW1/WW2 Section was what I mainly saw.you can learn a lot about a place in its cemeteries

Visited June 2014
Opelika, Alabama
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful Place! Must See”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in Lexington two days to visit the horse farms and Kentucky Horse Park. We just happened to drive by here on day and decided to visit. This is one of the most beautiful cemetery's I've ever visited, you could easily sped a whole day here! Its a huge place with lots of old and new graves, some very unique. Also several ponds and fountains. If you have time and in the area I highly recommend going by here. They do close at 5:00pm though.

Visited May 2014