“Not true suites...”

Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
SC
“Not true suites...”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

As has been previously noted by others, the "separated sitting area" simply is not as advertised - the separation is minimal and the light from the sitting area cascades over the "mini-wall" into the sleeping area. The Wi-Fi signal in the room was one bar, unless you sat by the door, where you could get two or three at best. Plug-in ethernet was available, but not all devices HAVE ethernet capability these days. Having said all this, the service and personnel were great, there were no late night banging and slamming in the halls, and the breakfast buffet was MUCH better than many similar "free breakfast" offerings I have had. The minuses were not deal breakers, and the pluses outweighed the negatives.

Room Tip: Don't expect a separate sitting area
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cdondroad06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Redlands, California
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This seems to be quite a new, purpose-built HIE and everything was in good shape. The rooms were actually larger than at the Holiday Inn I stayed at after this, with comfortable bedding, flat-screen TV, etc. There's a poster in the office (visible from the hall) urging employees to get the hotel to the top of the customer ratings, and everyone fell over backward to be pleasant. I had no problems so can't comment on solving issues, but I got the impression that nothing would be too much!

The location is outside of downtown but freeway access is easy, its right off New Circle Drive for getting to other parts of Lexington, and its handy for horse country, Keeneland, and the Bourbon Trail. Its in a new shopping center with a sub shop, Applebee's, and Walgreen in walking distance, with a grocery store also very close. All in all very nice. Note: we were in town for the Kentucky Derby and Oaks and prices in Lexington are extremely reasonable compared to Louisville for this period!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed her recently one night on a road trip to Memphis. I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express hotels and this one was well above the average experience I usually have had. Service was friendly, the pool was nice and the room extremely clean. This must be a fairly new hotel because the facility look very up to date and fresh. This is a classic Express set up with morning breakfast that is faster than it is good food, but that is what you expect staying here. I would go out of my way to stay here again if I am down that way again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
western md
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were in Lexington for the Rolex Three Day Event and had stayed at this hotel last year while passing through the area. The location is fantastic, easy to get to all the things we wanted to do; the customer service is top notch, very responsive, friendly and pleasant at every level; the hotel is very clean and well maintained; the bed was one of the most comfortable I've found away from home and our daughter did not complain about the pullout sofa bed although it did slant downward on one side (we requested a roll-away but were told fire code prohibits them -?); the coffee was good and always available, the variety at breakfast met our needs just fine; the room was spacious and quiet even though we were near the elevator on the third floor. BUT - they need to drop the "and SUITES" from the name - there are NO suites available - so I have given the room only three stars. I booked the room months ago due to the popularity of Rolex and knowing rooms would be scarce, I thought I booked a SUITE with a separate bedroom - that is what I wanted and expected to find based on the online description - now I know to ask specifically, esp when booking with HIExpress and Suites. I won't hesitate to stay at this hotel again unless I want a SUITE.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mdlabgirl
walkerw2, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lexington Northeast, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for such kind words about our award winning staff here at the Holiday Inn Express. I am very sorry that the description misled you into thinking you were going to have a separate room. I have contacted the right people to try to get this fixed. You were very pleasant to talk to when you were here as I know myself had many encounters with you during your visit. Thank you again for you and your family choosing us to stay during Rolex. I hope that our award winning staff and I can redeem ourselves the next time you are in Lexington and need a place to stay. We would hope that you will come back to see us. We want all of our guests to be happy with the room that they reserve and are given. Thank you for the kind words about the rest of the hotel as we appreciate it. We do look forward to having you back and hope next time stay is better. Have a great day and we will see you soon.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I will simply say the hotel deserves five stars unless you want a suite (executive in our case) with two separate rooms. According to the website, the two-room suite has a separated sitting area. Because of our sleep habits, this is the most important aspect of our stay. The "separated sitting area" was a protruding 2 foot wall about 6 inches thick and 3 feet in height. Unbelievable. I scrutinize hotel descriptions as to not fall for ploys such as this. They won this round - I am now a notch on Holiday Inn's "duped customers" list.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
First off, thank you for staying with us as we appreciate all customers and their feedback. I do want to deeply apologize for the bad description on our website as I have already talked with my uppers about getting it fixed. I hope that it does not stop you from coming to our award winning property. Please the next time that you are here ask for Will and I will take care of you the best that I can on a nice room. We take all feedback serious and we want all of our guests to leave with a smile. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and have a great day.
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Great stop! Staff was most accomodating. All updated and clean. Good WIFI. Nearby eateries. Convenient to horse park. Small pool and whirlpool were ok...Breakfast iNcluded with the "usual" fare. housekeeping starts early, so put your card on the door if you want to sleep a little longer ! I tried to reserve the room on the road and was sent into central mariott reservation system...that did not honor discounts we had, but they took good care of us at the desk at check in.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishers
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I wanted to write this review because as a travel professional ... I book many room blocks for youth and teen sports. I am also a parent and travel with some of the teams, as I did with this booking. The HIX on Sharkey was a wonderful hotel for just this outing!! The service by the business staff was courteous, respectful and very easy to get a long with. The pricing was very fair. All my calls and emails were responded too in a quick fashion. I was also very pleased with the hotel itself. Very clean, pleasant and the staff very courteous. The lacrosse team that stayed there had a wonderful experience. The food was great, taste well, and was served hot! The beds were comfortable, rooms spacious and clean. The hotel looks newer and seems to be well maintained. The location is perfect, 5 minutes from anywhere. However, within walking distance is convenient stores, gas, and restaurants! Overall, a wonderful experience with HIX Sharkey in Lexington, KY ... we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends