“Great salads and flatbread, soggy pizza ...”
Review of Smashing Tomato

Smashing Tomato
Ranked #84 of 910 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great salads and flatbread, soggy pizza ...”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've tried this restaurant multiple times on the off chance that I just caught them on a bad day. Unfortunately, I think they must have more of those than the average restaurant.

The food: Their salads are great. Fresh greens and tasty dressings. The flatbread is a nice side to the salads. The pizza flavors are average but the soggy, soggy crust requires a fork and knife. Not worth the trouble. And despite my best efforts, I couldn't tell a difference in 'smashed' pies.

The service: The staff isn't as friendly as many other places, although you could not call them rude. Just a little too distant for my taste. I don't need a big false smile but I don't like to feel that I am interrupting their day to place my order.

The restaurant: Very nice. A little loud with few soft surfaces to absorb the sound but very colorful with ample seating for the lunch rush.

• Visited May 2012

Brantford, Canada
“Great food great location”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Very tasty pizza and very close to the hotel it was ready in about 3 minutes. After a full day at Woodword Reserve and Versailles for some antiquing and then the Horse park we didn't have to think too hard about where to go for food.

Visited August 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nice spots in Lexington”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Good food, tasty, good quality, reasonable prices, nice staff, always good for a spontanous lunch or dinner :-)

Visited April 2012
Colorado
“Good pizza joint.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We order about five pies for a family gathering. The pepperoni pizza had single large round pepperoni slices for each slice of pie. A little spice as you would expect. The saugage pizza was nice with a sweet sausage and taste tomato sauce. The last pie we had was chicken with sun dried tomatoes. Again, a good pie. All the pies where thin Italian style crust, maybe baked in a wood heated oven. I could tell but it tasted as if it were.

Overall I would recommend yu try them for a pizza...

“Better than chain pizza but Not worth driving 30 miles out of the way.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Driving home to Indiana from a NC beach vacation, we searched TripAdvisor for help in choosing a place to eat that would appeal to our family of 5 - 2 easy to please adults & 2 kids - 16, &12 y.o. - that are becoming more adventurous when it comes to food.

Based on reviews we chose Smashing Tomato. Here is the breakdown by member:
Dad - chicken bbq & Sam Adams "pretty good pizza, loved the sauce & mushrooms were a pleasant surprise. Wanted the crust to be have more wood-fired taste. Loved the beer.
Mom - Caesar salad w/ sheet music bread & Peroni beer "your typical CS, crunchy romaine lettuce, enjoyed topping the bread w/ the salad. I sampled all pizzas, and enjoyed the smashing sauce but thought the bbq chicken was the best.
16 y.o. - Americano & diet coke "liked the smashing sauce but wished it was spicier, like lip numbing spicy. Liked the large pepperoni. Wished I would have asked for double cheese"
12 y.o. - Italiano & Mr.Pibb " it was good but needed to be spicier sauce w/more cheese"