“Didn't Live up to Expectation”
Review of Rails - CLOSED

Rails
New Albany, Indiana
“Didn't Live up to Expectation”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was very excited to try this restaurant because the Courier-Journal reviewed it a few weeks ago and gave it 3 stars. I was mainly looking forward to the Beef Wellington, which I've not had for a long time. It was about a 40 minute drive from our home in New Albany, IN. We were greeted by a hostess who, when asked where we were from and we told her IN, said she was "sorry". When my husband asked her why she was sorry, her response was "Kentucky Pride". She went on to say she was joking, and I'm sure she was, but it didn't make these Hoosiers feel very welcome in the Bluegrass State! We decided to order wine and our waitress told us that the wines were listed in order from sweetest to driest but that she didn't know much more about it than that. I had a nicely presented (and pretty flavorful) Caprese salad, though the tomatoes weren't very red and ripe, though maybe that's to be expected in February. We also ordered the Sweet Potato Tots appetizer and it was just okay--seemed a bit overdone. My Beef Wellington was quite good, but even though the C-J review said it was served on a bed of mashed potatoes (also very good!), I would have preferred that the two items have been either on separate plates, or at least not one on top of the other. I thought it made the puff pastry crust of the Beef Wellington a bit mushy. It was a very large portion. My husband ordered the Beef Tenderloin and though he asked for it to be cooked medium well, when he cut into the meat, it looked like it had just come from the butcher it was so raw (much rarer than mine, which was cooked medium, just as I requested). The waitress graciously returned it to the kitchen and when it came back, it was medium well and "pretty good", but not nearly as good as mine. She was very apologetic about the mistake. All in all it was fairly disappointing--especially given the long drive to get there, though I did get my Beef Wellington "fix" for a few more years!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank TAM81

Hillsboro Oh
“Nothing special”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Dined here on Valentines Day. Food was average, service attentive but just lacked some things you come to expect. The biggest complaint was no bread or crackers with the salads and soup. Might return for lunch.

Visited February 2014
La Grange, Kentucky
“Expensive”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The atmosphere is nice, but the food is expensive. I got the lamb, and received three small lamb chops. The food tasted good, but I left the restaurant still hungry. I know a lot of people want to have an expensive eatery close to home, but for me I don't want to go home looking for something to eat after a meal out.

Visited February 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Amazing food and Atmosphere.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The food was to die for, and the portion sizes were huge (be prepared to bring some home!) It was a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion and the atmosphere was wonderful especially when a real train passed by only feet away.

Visited January 2014
“Fine dining”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I must admit I didn't try everything on the menu. I've had several variations of Pasta Premavera but never this variation. I've had some that had no sauce at all and some that had a light cream covering. This variation had a sauce that tasted like water, totally ruining the dish. What makes this worse is the ex chef is sitting at the bar where we are eating, he asked how is it? I said it watery, he looked at it and said that's not right it not supposed to be like that. I'll make you another personally, he goes back to the kitchen 3 minutes later he comes back out and goes to another part of the dining room. The dish comes back out more veggies and cherry tomatoes but the same watery sauce! I eat a couple of veggies and tell the waitress that I'm sorry I can't eat this and I'll pay for it and gave her a good tip. Honestly this ex chef better figure out what good food is and quickly or the owner stands to lose his butt.

• Visited December 2013