“Wonderful Cave”

Hidden River Cave and American Cave Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take an in-depth look at the fascinating world of caves as you journey through gigantic subterranean chambers made out of limestone.After you explore the underground, try out the aerial view from our new zip-line and rappel! Don't forget our 2 level museum featuring caves.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My Wife, Daughter and I visited this Cave on Saturday March 22nd.,2014 Our Guide was Cave Dave he is very Knowledgeable if the History as well as the current status of the cave and the river that flows through it. Only my Daughter and I was on the cave tour due to a recent surgery my wife had on her neck, She remained at the cave opening at Dave's suggestion and we proceeded into and all through the cave stopping quit often for explanation's of varying stages of the cave and river. A better guide would be extremely hard to find in our opinion. We hope to return soon with friends and family. They also have a Zip Line as well as a Repelling Wall at the site..

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"rappelling"
in 86 reviews

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I dropped by on a winter Thursday afternoon. Tours in winter are given about once an hour, so I had to wait for a little while for my tour to start. I explored the museum which is worth a look and if you have any interest in caves, will take the better part of 40 minutes to see. If you're only marginally interested in caves, my guess is that the museum won't take you more than 10 minutes.

From the desk, the basic cave tour departs in an elevator. This saves you a three story walk up and down to the cave sinkhole entrance, but might be deceptive for some as it's only the start of your descent. There are about 180 steps from the top to the entrance.

When it came time for my tour, I was still the only guest in the gift shop and I expected to be disappointed that they wouldn't be able to run a tour. In my experience with Pennsylvania show caves, they won't run a tour unless they have a minimum number. Hidden River Cave is run by folks who nurture the legendary Southern Hospitality, and they ran a full cave tour just for me. I was very impressed.

I was fortunate enough to have my tour led by Shannon, one of the ACCA (American Cave Conservation Association) associates, and manager of the gift shop and museum. I am also a caver, so we had a lot to talk about on my tour.

Just inside the cave entrance, two rivers meet and the passage is completely filled with water. The association has built a walkway just above the water, and we had several opportunities to look for the cave life (crayfish for the most part) that make the cave their home.

The only disappointment in the standard tour is the length. The tour ends after about 400 yards and after climbing up a medium hill to a beautiful viewpoint. The ACCA would like to extend the tour route beyond the overlook but for 2014, this is the end of the standard tour.

If the idea of traversing 180 steps at the end dismays you, I can tell you not to worry. Shannon paused artfully at several junctures to describe historic cave features, and I never even felt winded. She looked pretty fit, so I'm sure she was pausing for me, but she never let it show.

The next time I'm in the area, I look forward to another visit, just to see the progress on the cave, the continued restoration of the river, and to experience again that same welcoming Southern Hospitality exhibited by Shannon and the rest of the staff.

1  Thank copperdragon66
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Our visit to the cave and museum were amazing. We took part in the zip line and rappelling that were offered, and although both were rather short, the personalities of Charolay, and Clayton, our guides, more than made up for it. The gift shop was full of unique items and some one of a kind jewelry pieces made from stones and fossils. Gary was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about them all. Really looking forward to a return visit to explore the wild cave sections soon!

1  Thank KYBATMAN
Reviewed January 9, 2014

BIG THANKS to Gary and Charoley for a wonderful and memorable experience. My girls (5&8) are still talking about it months later. (sorry for the slow review) We also did the zip line and rappelling with Gary, Charoley and Clayton, we had so much fun. They were so good with my less than adventurous five year old and she was able to do it all with their encouragement. I would recommend this mom and pop style cave adventure to anyone who loves a little wild in their vacation.