“VERY DISAPPOINTED”

Hidden River Cave and American Cave Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take an in-depth look at the fascinating world of caves as you journey through gigantic subterranean chambers made out of limestone.After you explore the underground, try out the aerial view from our new zip-line and rappel! Don't forget our 2 level museum featuring caves.
Kentucky
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“VERY DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I had called the museum a few days before our visit to ask about the cave tours. I was told that the tours last about 45 min.( also stated on their website) & tours started every hour or 30 minutes after depending on when the last one finished? I was also told that reservations were not taken or required. We arrived at the museum at around 10 to 15 min. till noon. I expected around a 30 minute wait. I went to the front desk to pay for the museum and was told that the next cave tour started at around 1:15 because of a large group that came in. I guess they cater more to large groups than the general public or maybe they just misinform people who call for info. I went ahead an paid for admission to the museum. Very old, outdated, poor lighting & dirty carpet. You can see all of it in about 15 min. An all around disappointment & a waste of time & money.

Visited June 2012

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Small and interesting”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We really enjoyed our tour of Hidden River Cave and the American Cave Museum. We only had a few hours to tour, and we are really glad we picked this attraction over the others in the area. Our tour group was very small ~ four people ~ so the tour guide was able to spend time with us and focus on the various aspects of this unusual cave. If you are looking for formations (stalagtites, flows, stalagmites,etc.), this cave tour is not for you ~ although the Museum may be. There are also LOTS of stairs, so this tour would not be a good one for people who have bad knees or need handicapped accessible routes. The river which created the cave is still active, and mud from periodic flooding is very evident. It was enlightening to hear about the cave's usage as a municipal water source, and it was interesting to see the old waterworks still inside the cave. Our tour guide was very informative about the decline of the cave in the mid-20th Century, and enthusiastic about its clean up and rebirth as an eco-tourism location in recent years. We hope they are able to get the new boardwalk underway, as we'd like to come back and see the "hidden rooms"! This would be a good location for "off tour" trips for children, judging from the group we saw returning the day we were there!

Visited June 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Prettiest cave mouth”
Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

Have been to many caves around the world and thought horse cave was one of the prettiest cave mouths I have seen. Very nice museum great for children and very informative guide. Liked the rushing river in the cave and thinking of the little town above those vast caverns. Looks like a great place for wild caving. Enjoyed the little stores outside and the used bookstore across from subway. Had great pizza buffet across from gas station as you go into town. Will go back.

1 Thank sswingfieldky
Evansville, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cave is worth the visit”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had a great time at this Cave in Horse cave. The guide was the highlight of the tour. She has such a heart for the cave that it came out in details and stories about the cave, and that for me is what brings these caves to life. My husband and I saw 4 caves in 2 days and this one was in the top 2. Mammoth was in the bottom 2. Not much on the museum though.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank momrocks_3
Louisville, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Off the beaten path, but definitly worth a visit.”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We arrived at the American Cave Museum and Lost River Cave with low expectations. We arrived around noon and were informed they had a tour going out at 12:30. We walked around the two story museum exhbits. We really enjoyed the interactive exhibits about the cave wildlife. Our group was small. My wife, seven year old son and another couple that arrived when we did. Our tour guide Gary did a great job. My family asked lots of questions and he had the answer every time. He made the history fun and very was very engaging. My wife said his voice and manner of speaking reminded her of Matthew McConnahay (sp?) We saw some blind cave crayfish and experienced the cave. I was blown away with the cave and how alive it was throughout our visit. It definitely was more than I expected. I would visit again. It was one of my sons first caves and he really loved it.

Visited March 2012