“Left with Fewer Belongings Than When I Arrived”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hebron
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed for 5 days at the end of June. Smooth check-in and check-out. Door to our room was ajar upon our arrival (apparently they do this on purpose?) so we spent the first few minutes checking under beds and behind shower curtains to ensure there were no hidden intruders. Room was clean and housekeeping services were good (I thought). There were lots of choices each day for breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located next to the highway, though unfortunately there are no stores/restaurants within walking distance. There are laundry facilities (two washers/two dryers) on the first floor, which was very helpful given the length of my stay. No in-room safe so I opted to take my valuables on the road with me each day. Upon check-out, I felt quite positive about the hotel overall.

A couple of days later, I realized that I had left two brand new/never worn bathing suits in one of the dresser drawers. I contacted the hotel, hoping the items had been turned into the 'lost and found', and offered to pay the cost of having the items mailed back to me. Unfortunately, I waited two weeks for a response from the site manager; by then, I had come to terms with the likelihood that someone affiliated with the hotel was now rockin' the bathing suits (as I had hoped to do later in my vacation). The manager simply said that my concern would be forwarded to the appropriate "department head", who would then review with staff. No apologies. I would have been content with something as simple as, "We regret that this happened."

Perhaps there is an assumption in certain hospitality industry circles that any items left behind by guests are 'up for grabs'. But as I explained to the hotel, the "finders keepers" rule only applies when you do not know (or have any way of finding out) the identity of the item's owner, and in this case, they knew not only my name, but my phone number, email address and mailing address as well. Ideally, the employee who found the items would have turned them in at the front desk within a few hours of my check-out, then the hotel would have called me and I would have returned to pick them up (as I was still in the area for the rest of the day). But that did not happen. I take responsibility for leaving the items behind, but it is really unfortunate that the items never reached the lost and found. I tipped the housekeeping staff each day, so it is even worse to know that my belongings simply disappeared. I just keep reminding myself to be thankful that I did not leave behind something of substantial value...though I really did like those bathing suits.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LinFeins
kjbennett, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear "LinFeins"
Thank you for posting your review on our property. I sincerely apologize for not responding your you comments sooner and for the issues that you had during your stay. I was not aware of the issues until seeing them here. I have been trying to locate your profile/folio on our system so that I could contact your directly however I have not been able to locate it based on the little information provided here. If you could please contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss and remedy the situation I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards
Karen Bennett
Operations Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel, just for one night. The hotel is OK, a couple of things kept it from a higher rating.
The bed, it was not very comfortable at all, too soft; some people might like this, I was not a fan.
The other was the front desk clerk when we checked in for the night. She was pleasant, but as we were standing there in the middle of checking us in three pilots and flight attendants approached the desk. She immediately stopped helping us and started helping them. She did not excuse herself or ask us to wait or anything, just stopped and started helping them, for several minutes including providing them with a list of local places, etc. I have to tell you this astounded me in its pure rudeness.
If you do not mind soft beds and rude front desk clerk the hotel is OK. It is near the airport and it is clean. They offer a nice free breakfast in a clean and roomy breakfast area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The man working the front desk was friendly and knowledgeable. The room was nice with a very high ceiling. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Breakfast wasn't bad either with a good variety for a hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Excellent location for travelers passing through from Indianapolis to KY.

They could do better at offering Cheerios (not the fruit loop kind for kids), and also providing hot water for tea drinkers. The hot water was in a canister and had cooled off even at 7:30 am. Coffee drinkers cannot understand that tea water must be very hot, steaming, or the tea bag does not brew well. Also, most canisters used in hotels have one time or another been used by the clueless as coffee containers, and leaving a bad underlying taste to the water that overpowers the tea. Holiday Inn Express solves this problem by having hot water dispenser taps with filters in what looks like an inexpensive little machine.

Without some really hot tea to start a day, a tea drinker feels like a coffee drinker who gets a taste of peanut butter in their coffee mug. Not good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RocketFloyd
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here about 15 months ago (I know, it was before June 2012), while traveling around as a late anniversary trip. An ice storm came through and we felt it unsafe to head home to Indy, and one of the staff at the Creation Museum suggested Country Inn. It was so wonderful to come in and utterly relax, after driving 7 miles of ice-coated country highway. Warm cookies, soft cozy bed.....and we are planning on heading there again this coming weekend for the Newport Aquarium package. It was clean, the staff were wonderful, the computer/printer on the 2nd floor helped us find Rabbit Hash (a really nice little side trip, by the way!), and the breakfast was awesome.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a very nice clean, well maintained hotel. Additionally it is very quiet. The breakfast was very good and the atmosphere was great. The front desk personnel could be a little friendlier. Overall this was a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here two nights because I am ok with 8 miles driving to Cincinnati via hwy 275/71. The price I paid for two nights can't even cover one night in the city hotels where of course don't have free wifi as well as free breakfast which are well provided by Country Inn.

Clean room, nice and comfy beds, big bathroom with regular size bathtub. The room is also equipped with microwave and fridge. TV channels include HBO and WGN(if you're from Chicago area). It has a small swimming pool and hot whirlpool, small gym with basic equipment.

Breakfast is a cannot-miss. It has almost everything you can ask for. Coffees and tea are provided 24/7 as well as cookies in the front desk. Lobby is very inviting and it has two computers and printers for you to surf Internet or print docs needed.

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hebron
Hampton Inn Cincinnati Airport-North
Quality Inn and Suites
#6 of 9 in Erlanger
DoubleTree by Hilton Cincinnati Airport Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport? Share your experiences!