“Expectations Exceeded”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hazard
SE Pennsylvania
“Expectations Exceeded”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

For $52/night, I wasn't expecting more than a clean, quiet room. My expectations were exceeded, the room was clean/quiet, with friendly staff and over abundance of hot water and working A/C. The breakfast wasn't the greatest, basic breads/rolls, cereal, drinks. Enough to get started.

The carpet in the common areas need to be cleaned or replaced.

Will stay here again as the opportunity permits.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
charleston, sc
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Overall, good value for the money. But, the hotel clerk sent me to the 2nd floor to find room 127. I even double-checked with him, because motels usually don't have a room ONE twenty-seven on the second floor. He insisted it was upstairs. So, I lug my suitcase up to the second story, and I walk up and down the hall to search for room ONE twenty-seven. No luck. Back downstairs I lug my suitcase, and ask again. This time, I ask the clerk to go upstairs with me when he still insists that it is located upstairs. We walk up and down the hall before he figures out that we were not going to find room ONE twenty-seven upstairs either. So off he goes, back to the front desk, to relocate me another room. He tossed a light "Sorry," over his shoulder at me, as he goes. The clerk came back with a key to room TWO twenty-something, and of course, this time it is located on the second floor. I feel forturate to have a room, and its location, but wonder about the motel staff training and/or abilities. Once inside, I find that 2 of the 4 lamps in the room had burnt out lightbulbs. The room is clean, though.
On the 2nd day of my visit (for which I had prepaid online) I was locked out of my room. When I tried to get back inside after lunch, the hotel had re-keyed my room. So, back to the front desk, to get help. This time, the girl at the front desk did apologize more sincerely for the inconveniece.
The free breakfast is fine, if served with a bit of indigestion from fellow guests. On the first morning, a customer was very upset because someone had left a burning cigarette on the hood of his new car. (I don't blame him, I would not have been upset too.) However, he was yelling and threatening to hurt the culprit (who was never found). It made me nervous about the safety of my car in the parking lot there.
On Saturdays there is a flea market on the hill above the motel. It makes getting in and out of the motel parking lot a bit problematic because of the heavy traffic. This hotel is situated between two roads (one in front and one in the back) and the traffic noise can be heard inside the room at times.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank octobergal
Reviewed June 24, 2009

decided to come up a day early to pick up a group going to gatlinburg. arrived at about 0100 and checked in requested a non-smoking room but ended up with a smoking. not too bad as i was too tired to move my stuff. the staff, even at that time was polite and friendly. room rates are in line with the quality. all i was looking for was a decent place to stay with a bed, tv and a bath and that is what i got. i would stay here again with no second thoughts.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank idriveyousafely
Madisonville,ky
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Found the room to be clean and comfortable. The staff their was so nice. Any thing you need they got for you. talked and may your stay wonderful..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I was lucky enough to get the great $8.88 deal for this hotel. After staying in several Super 8's this year, I would have to say that this one is not the greatest I have stayed in but it was also above average. The rooms are large. We had a king which also had a over stuffed chair and a desk. There was also a mini fridge an a microwave. The WiFi was ok and breakfast was you typical bland Super 8 with a few wrapped pastries and a few bagels. I would have been fine if I would have paid $75 for this room but with that great deal of $8.88 I can't complain. Would stay here again for sure as long as I did not pay as much as the Holiday Inn Express or the Hampton down the road.

• Liked — Large Room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelerGEO
new tazewell, tennessee
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Oh my....What can I say except our stay here was so wonderful. A
young man that works at this location is so knowledgable about the community and its history. Any questions we had about the area he could answer, he presented himself in a way that would remind you of staying at a resort motel. The employees name was Sam Jones and you must get aquainted with this young man if you stay there. The motel and its staff are excellant, it is very clean possibly even emaculant. The staff is very attentive of your needs and Sam is a wonderful young man. He made our stay a very pleasant one, an outstanding employee and we just cant say enough about him. I would reccomend this location to everyone. I wished there was a Sam at every one of your locations, he really puts the " Super" in the Super 8.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 174michal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazard
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 5 in Hazard
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Hazard
Buckhorn Lake State Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Hazard

Been to American Elite Inn Hazard? Share your experiences!