“DIRTY and smelled of smoke”

American Elite Inn Hazard
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hazard
cincinnati
“DIRTY and smelled of smoke”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I specifically requested a non-smoking room and was informed that no one smokes in their non-smoking rooms or they will be fined $100. We were tired and decided to stay. Our non-smoking room REEKED of smoke. The carpet was so dirty I wouldn't walk anywhere without shoes on. There were cigarette burns on the toilet seat abd lid, the side of the bathtub, the bathroom floor, the bathroom sink, the bedding, the table. This was their version of a non-smoking room. The whole place is in an overall need up a good scrubbing and room updates. I would advise anyone to move on to the next place.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank needels
Rosetta M, Manager at American Elite Inn Hazard, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am very sorry it sounds like maybe the clerk misunderstood and put you on the bottom floor smoking room all you have to do let us know when you are having the problems and we would gladly move you. Our outside rooms are the rooms most of our working men ask for they come in from work muddy or oily we do try to clean the carpets but these fellows come in week in and week out and it is very hard to keep the carpets clean. Some are no hope for them and we are trying to paint and lay carpets.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My experiences at this property do not mirror other reviewers. I have stayed here several times and always had a good experience. The veteran staff is friendly and helpful - and respond quickly to my requests. The room was spacious and clean and quiet. The breakfast area provides standard continental fare, but in a smaller setting. There was an issue with a decent wi-fi connection - and that was addressed with the GM. Rating is compared with other stays I regularly make at properties such as this - over 100 per year

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rosie M, Manager at American Elite Inn Hazard, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I thank you and appreciate your comment in the middle of all the bad ones we have being getting. When ever you come for a visit if they are any problems at all just let us know and we will try our best to fix anything that is not right. Thank you
North Augusta, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I found out my dad was in the ICU in a hazard hospital so made reservations to a super 8 hotel near the hospital. One of the most important factors was wifi - cell phone service is almost non-existant in hazard so I needed to be able to get online to keep in touch with family about my dad's condition. The guy at the front desk explained which room and building i'll be staying at, but does not mention that particular building doesn't get wifi at all until i call about it later. The heater doesn't work very well and we freeze all night long. There is white stuff all over the floor and looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in ages. The next day we were able to switch rooms, but the wifi only works in certain parts of the room and I don't even know if it was even super 8's wifi - I was able to connect to a wifi source but not the connection named "Super 8". When I checked out I got a receipt and I was supposed to have a discount from my place of work - surprise it's not there!

So I called super 8 and complained about my stay. They told me someone would contact me about my stay and the manager of the hazard super 8 contacted me today, 12/27/12. Wow what a horrible apology.. I don't think this manager Rosie knows what an apology or customer service is. First thing she says is "Hi I'm calling about your complaint from your stay.. you said our pool was dirty.. we don't even HAVE a pool." I think she called just to try call me out on that. I told her the FLOOR was dirty and she didn't really seem to care too much. She never brought up the wifi issue, and told me I didn't get a discount because i reserved online and some nonsense about how im supposed to pay for the room, then my employer's credit card gets charged, then it comes back and i get the discount. She also added that my discount was only $52.99 and room rates are only $55.99 ANYWAYS. My favorite part was where she told me to come back to super 8 next time and she'll give me a discount. Like I'd ever pay one penny to stay in that place again. And Super 8, Hazard, KY is not a tourist attraction or where people go to spend their vacation, people are only there because they have to be.. like when family members are in the hospital that's only a few miles away. Offering me a discount on my next trip that I'll hopefully never have to make again doesn't make anything better.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if your building gets Wifi if you HAVE to stay here - even though they advertise f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rosie M, Manager at American Elite Inn Hazard, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Im sorry that you was disappointed in my apology from your first complaint. It stated that you was not happy with the cleanliness of our swimming pool, however we do not have a swimming pool. I thought the complaint may have been meant for another hotel, my apologies. You was dissatisified with your rate. Where you booked through lifecare.com the rate was out of our hands, we are unable to change online reservations and there set rates. If you would have booked directly to the Hazard Super 8 , we could have promoted your discount. Our rates for hospital,funeral and Wal-Mart are ,$52.00 plus tax. Regular doubles are, $59.99 plus tax. Single rooms are, $56.99 plus tax. Your rate of 52.99 through lifecare.com was still a really good rate.
They was also a issue with the white powder in the floors. You booked a smoking room, and we thrieve to keep them smelling as clean as possible. So the white powder would have been our carpet Fresh that we use. The housekeeper was verbally warned about this situation and how to properly vacuum the carpetFresh from the floors. Second time , written warning will be issued to employee and the third time she will be dismissed. You was also in our second building which is all our smoking rooms. The second building does have internet issues. It comes in good at times then at others it does not. We do apologize to our guest and are very quick to help with the situation and sometimes that is switching to another room. In your case we had to switch to another room, we are terribly sorry that you had to be innconvienced. we have had new cable ran to our smoking building in hopes that fixes alot of our internet problems. In this area the internet is not at its greatest as it is. I once again apologize for any innconviences this stay was to you. We hope to be able to make it up to you , if you decide to book with us in the future!

Travelers are raving about these Hazard hotels

TAYLOR
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I am a type of person that can look past old or well used but this place was dirty. Dead bugs and we even had to kill some live ones.There was so much dust on the floors we moved a lamp and there was a perfect outline of the base of the lamp. So bad I would not walk on the floor without my shoes on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

1 Thank JULIE C
I am very sorry that you was unhappy with your room . Whenever you stay with use you can always call up front let us know what you are unhappy about we will always try our best to fix any problems that you may be experiencing. I do recommend that when ever a guest checks in to always check your room out to see if it is what you want or up to your standards on entering it if there is a problem that we can fix we will or if the guest decides that they had rather stay somewhere else we will give there money back with no hard feelings we want our guest to be happy when staying here. We also realize that we may not be for ever body as much as we would like to be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazard
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Hazard
Buckhorn Lake State Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Hazard
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 5 in Hazard

Been to American Elite Inn Hazard? Share your experiences!