“Saturday Visit”

Old Fort Harrod State Park
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Harrodsburg
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My mother and I visited this park on a sunny Saturday afternoon. We were able to roam the grave markers of the original settlers of Kentucky prior to entering the park. Admission to the Fort is $5. This fee also includes access to the museum.
The fort is a replica of the original Fort Harrod, which stood on a nearby hill. Although not exact, the fort provides a realistic look at how life was arranged within the fort. You can tour the fort at your own pace and are provided with written information regarding each structure. Typically, staff would be available at each facility to demonstrate how life would have been in each section of the fort. We believe that we visited during a lunch break, as we found most of the areas vacant.
Near the front gate is a cabin that is enclosed in a church-like brick structure. This is said to be the cabin that Abraham Lincoln's parents, Thomas and Nancy, were married in. A great deal of detailed information is available.
On the opposite corner stands a museum. Tons of things are available on display. Many great artifacts of the revolution and civil war.
We spent nearly one hour at the fort and one hour at the museum. An additional 20 minutes was spent in the graveyard, the monument and the cabin.

5  Thank 2ppltraveling
There are newer reviews for Old Fort Harrod State Park

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We took our grandchildren to Old Fort Harrod State Park which was a good choice! The park was clean, the guides had quality historical information, the park was easy to get around (for even an old guy like me) and the price was fair and reasonable! You will enjoy this experience!

3  Thank Broke-and-Hungry
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Really good place to step back in history and see how it used to be. I have always enjoyed spending time in the replica of the old fort. It helps to bring history alive.

1  Thank P S
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our visit being in winter meant that some things were closed, there was ice and snow around which made getting around more difficult. There are sheep here, and I hand fed the sheep with feed from the gift shop! I think I would not go back, and I wouldn't really recommend it. It was just small and simple and not too much history to learn.

1  Thank MJay5
Reviewed January 8, 2013

It has probably been 30 years since I visited Fort Harrod.
We enjoyed our visit, informative, pretty look in the generations and their humble living situations.

Thanks Jennifer, Now I feel like this is some place that I should go and revisit soon.

Marty