“National Treasure”

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Harrodsburg
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We are very fortunate that some very generous people from Kentucky had the foresight to preserve the heritage of the Shakers, who through celibacy, failed to preserve their own existance. Our family had the pleasure of staying overnight in one of the unique hotel rooms in the original shaker buildings. There are apparently all types of lodgings so quiz their staff carefully. They are not professional innkeepers but very nice and accommodating locals so question them carefully and try to get a handle on where you are staying. There are private houses, an inn over the restaurant, and scattered buildings around the pastoral site. We asked for a multi room accommodation to suit our family with teens. We were sent a few blocks away by car to stay in a shaker historic building which had been restored/remodeled into lodging. There was a huge central hall with steep stairs to the second floor (ask for a first floor room by all means) and once in our suite, there was a huge bedroom with twin beds and a separate bedroom with a double bed. The furnishings and decor was plain, attractive, and totally shaker inspired - until you checked the mattress to find the best Therapedic and you open a cabinet and find a new flatscreen. Don't expect gyms and spas and computer centers - plan to enjoy it for the heritage it preserves. The only minor setbacks we found were that the wood original floors make acoustics a little hard at times (we slightly heard a tv from below at night) and we wished they could have solved the winterizing problem without sealing the windows, but other than that, it was spotless, attractive, with a nice bath (and great showerhead) and fine mattresses.. The management is really good. Employees like their jobs and are enthusiastic. The views are really magnificent. Dinner was really outstanding - not cheap but a good value for terrific regional and carefully prepared food straight from their on-premesis farm. Breakfast was okay (not included in room) and less impressive than dinner. We had a great time at Shaker Village.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night on a road trip with another lesbian couple. All four of us loved this place, especially the two history teachers. Even though there were other people staying in our building, because of the the way the bedrooms are scattered around the property, it felt very private. There isn't much in the area outside of Shaker Village, so I imagine it might get boring for longer than a day or two, but for us it was a perfect retreat. Beautiful little rooms, although the curtains were very thin and didn't keep out light. There was a bright light outside one of our windows (room 194) that was very irritating at night. I wished they would have either put a half-screen on it so light wouldn't pour into the room or provided heavier curtains for that side. There was WIfi in our building, although the rooms on the far side couldn't access it in their bedrooms. I believe our building was the only one with wifi. There was also a vending machine and living room with tv in our building, which was nice for gatherings with our friends. Our rooms had small tvs as well.

We hadn't planned on eating dinner there but once we arrived we didn't want to leave again. They were able to fit us in for a late reservation. Dinner was the best meal of our entire trip. The fried chicken was amazing, even my vegetarian friend couldn't resist it. Although, it was one of the most vegetarian friendly menu we saw the whole week we were in Kentucky (another was lynn's paradise cafe in louisville). The waitress said there was a new chef and the chicken was his recipe. Service was great. When the busboy heard us talking about how newfound love of bourbon, he came over and gave us several recommendations. Unusual, well-prepared salads and a good wine, beer and bourbon list.

Breakfast was a different story. It was a buffet and was uniformly disappointing. Soggy bacon, tough eggs, over-salted potatoes (and I love salt!). I have had better breakfasts at holiday inn. Our waitress was terrible. She disappeared for most of our visit and never told us where the buffet was (we didn't even know there was a buffet instead of a menu until we saw people leaving a side room with food). The one bright spot was the warm mini-biscuits and muffins. At $10 a person, it wasn't expensive but was overpriced for the quality.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again. It might be nice for a writers retreat or a retreat for someone who wasn't looking for a lot of activity. I saw no singles at dinner or breakfast so this seems like more of a couples place. Very romantic.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We spent one night at the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill. It was a really unique experience and to some degree, takes you back in time. Our room was very simple - two twin beds, two chairs, small bath. Bed comfort was less-than-great. Maybe I'd get used to it if I stayed for more than one night. That's the only negative I can think of. There was just an extreme peacefulness about the entire experience. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was wonderful. The next day we started the official visit to the village. We learned after arriving that if you're only spending one night you can buy admission for one day and it's good for the next day - wished we had done that and arrived earlier on day one. We had two more meals in dining room - breakfast and lunch on day two - and they were both wonderful, with great service.

Just a little quirk for the place - rooms had small size flatscreen televisions (hidden in little cabinet) and wireless internet. These features just seemed a little out-of-place in this special village.

I'd recommend this experience to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wintersummer
Reviewed November 3, 2009

You could not ask for a better location to rest after touring Shaker Village. We stayed in the West Residence building. The rooms are not luxurious but do provide TV and all the essentials. The bathroom was small and the door would hit the sink when you opened it, but it added some character. The sink drain was clogged when we checked in but we notified the staff and it was fixed shortly. It was nice to waken to the bleating of sheep in the morning. Years ago we had a great dining experince in the restaurant in Shaker Village and were hoping to repeat it. However, it was just OK. The Village itself is wonderful to visit, with extremely friendly and knowledgeable tour guides.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Staying overnight lets you enjoy the beauty of the Shaker village during the quiet hours in the evening and early morning, before the day trippers arrive -- the historic buildings are closed during these hours, but there are great opportunities for walking. Our room was in in the Trustees' Office building, which was very convenient since it also houses the restaurant (great food and ambiance, with traditional favorites and a few quirky Shaker entries on the menu). The rooms are furnished with Shaker reproduction furniture -- we expected the spare and elegant look, but not the high ceilings, spacious room, and Tempurpedic mattress on the bed! Other rooms are scattered across many different buildings and may not be as large and convenient.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We rented the Tanyard House in September for 3 nights. Our group consisted of my mother and father, my husband and our 2 children aged 3 and 1. The house is huge and the children loved the extra space to run around in. The place was spotlessly clean, the beds comfy and the reproduction furniture unique. We ate at the dining room one evening and loved the food. The area is beautiful and being from Yorkshire, England we really appreciated the stone walls and how similar the scenery is to Yorkshire. In the are there is a lot to do within a short drive. We drove one day to Lexington and visited the KY Horse Farm and found it very interesting. The next day we took the Dixie Bell boat trip, again a beautiful ride down the river and some interesting history about the Shaker's. The third day we spent exploring the Shaker Village. The village is beautifully preserved, the craft shops have some interesting items to purchase and our children loved seeing the goats, the sheep, horses and donkey's. It is truly one of the most special places we have ever stayed and we have some lovely memories to treasure. Oh also the Old Fort Harrod state park is worth a visit and look out for the ground hog in the house's garden.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I've been a frequent visitor to Shaker Village for over 20 years. I love the place! It's my "getting away from it all" escape---very quiet, restful, renewing---and the food at their restaurant is excellent. For a long time I've wanted to reserve the Ministry House, and finally splurged---stayed there this Autumn. The Ministry House appears to be a quaint little place to stay (from the outside); however, it was anything BUT.

Unfortunately, the fireplace was not working, so that was out... They said they'd have it repaired eventually, which is fine. But that for me wasn't the problem:

The weather was pleasant, warm, and would make for a delightful night's sleep---BUT THE WINDOWS WOULDN'T OPEN!! They were all glued shut! This was so frustrating, because in order to have "fresh" air in the little house, one had to turn on the AC units. Omigosh....! The air was so stifling as a result. I asked at the front desk if there were any other rooms I could have which would give me the choice of opening a window---they said no. I was told that the windows were glued shut because of a lady-bug problem. (Wouldn't screens help keep them out? Just a guess...) But I had the worst stay of my life in this quaint-looking, potentially sweet little cottage. I'd have to step outside in order to enjoy the fresh air and the lovely sound of crickets, then would come back inside to the loud sound of ACs running and another fan running somewhere in the attic(?). Terrible experience. I felt cut off from the world, and in fact, woke up the next morning with a slight sinus problem.

The "kitchenette" is no such animal. It consists of a tiny sink, a little microwave, some packets of coffee, creamers, and sugar, and NO utensils!! Even the drawers under the kitchen sink are glued shut! So if you're wanting to cook something while you're here, better make it a frozen or canned dinner. A small pantry cupboard across from the sink is locked shut, too, so bring your own plates, bowls, etc. I'm not asking for the royal treatment at this cottage, but for nearly double the price of a regular guestroom, there ought to be a FEW amenities---just a couple of plastic utensils and paper plates would do, and ungluing those kitchen drawers would be kinda nice.

Most of all, and maybe this is just me, why can't they PLEASE un-glue some of the windows, so that those of us who enjoy a little fresh air can do so? My previous stays at Shaker Village were in rooms which allowed one to open a window if need be, and you could hear the outside world and appreciate the fresh air. I just can't justify having ACs running all day and night to pump in "fresh" air on a 65-degree October day......

Other than this, I love Shaker Village and will return---but will book the next room very carefully.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrodsburg
Baymont Inn and Suites Harrodsburg
Comfort Inn Lexington South
#2 of 4 in Nicholasville
Holiday Inn Express Nicholasville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington

Been to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn? Share your experiences!