“A great place for history buffs or quiet reflection - not much else”

and 1 more site!
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Harrodsburg
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A great place for history buffs or quiet reflection - not much else”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'm sorry, but Shaker Village did not live up to even my most minimal expectations for a weekend trip with my mother. My sisters and I seek out interesting destinations with interesting accommodations to engage our mother's sense of wonder while respecting her limited mobility. Frankly, the opportunity to live and sleep in a restored Shaker building seemed a perfect fit to this spec, but ultimately, there were more disappointments than delights in this equation.

Simply put, our room was 62 degrees (at least that's the lowest our thermostat could register) overnight our first night. I huddled under my coat to keep warm. The manager sent over two portable oil heaters for night #2, but leave the halo of that warmth and you could practically see your breath.

There is virtually nothing to do. Despite paying in excess of $150/night for our room, we would have had to buy $15/pp passes for the self-guided tour of the working buildings if we wanted to actually see the place - not a good option given my mother's limited mobility. We couldn't even access the internet since the only building with access was at the other end of the property. Instead, we spent most of Saturday in our room, bundled up in front of the flickering Lexington TV channels with the wine we'd brought along and some American cheese we'd bought at a mom-and-pop market in Harrodsburg.

We had reservations for Saturday dinner at the on-property restaurant but my mother had eaten so much cheese (etc.) by dinnertime that she went to bed early. Nevertheless, my sister and I did keep our reservation - and had a choice of four entrees, all of which were relatively unremarkable and (she observed) well-suited to being held at temperature in an oven for the length of evening's service. We imagined a chef coming by around 4p.m. to get the prime rib and the pork roast into the oven...

If I ever need to do some intensive self-reflection in an atmosphere that provides no distraction, Shaker Village would be ideal. Furthermore, if in that process I feel the urge to strip away the comforts of my day-to-day life, the buildings are so austere and so clearly unaltered that an overnight stay gradually morphs from a marvelous and intriguing and historic (e.g. as in Colonial Williamsburg) to an experiment in self-denial. Sadly, and I say this with the most profound of regret, we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Charla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The room was cold in the morning, heat did not keep up at all to get it above about 50 degrees. The fireplace in our room was blocked off so that was not an option. BRRRR......

During our stay they had leased out the quail hunting rights to the place to the highest bidder.

read about it here:

ALL trails were CLOSED to all guests while the hunters were out.

I went there planning to hike the trails so I was very disappointed in this. It just did not seem right to close off the trails without and notice when I made my reservations.

The food was expensive and not very good. The service was slow considering how few people there were eating in the Trustee's Office restaurant.

I was not impressed and likely won't be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 76chevy
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Shaker Village has been restored to it's 1800's appearance and the staff on the grounds dresses in period Shaker clothing. We arrived on a gorgeous fall day with the colors at their peak. Due to prior commitments we only had about an hour and a half for our visit and this just wasn't enough. There are many buildings to visit, a nice gift shop, restaurant and walking paths. We will return and maybe stay at the hotel on the property. I would allow at least 3-4 hours or more to see everything here. The village is out of the way but not a terribly long drive from Lexington.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at shaker village two weeks for work conferences, in may and November. If you can function without technology (poor cell phone reception, no TV, lack of Internet), this is a peaceful place with very good food and service, and much to experience in the outdoors and to learn about Shaker movement.

Abundance of wildlife (bobwhite quail, deer, songbirds, etc.,) and native grass landscape.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Checked in on a whim. A late check in about 4 pm. Asked for a one hour late check out and was told no. Felt I could have been accomodated. (it was just an hour.)
Room was primitive and dirty. Lots of dead bugs in the window seal, and black hairs on the bathroom floor (not mine). Very small tv with remotes that did not work.
Food was very good but a little pricy.
Room for improvement.
Staff was curdious in the post office. Kudos to the young lady that shared her tea with me. Coffe provided was very nice.
Loved the demonstrations by broom maker, wood workers, and singer. Grounds kept were immaculate!
BEST PART: spirit walk an s'mores after. Very informative guide.
Will I be back, maybe. If the price is right.

Pic of dead bugs in window provided.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank LauraSchook
Clarkesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in room 185 of the West Family Wing at Shaker on 10/30 and 10/31/2012. We loved every moment of our visit!

First, the room. Yes, it was simple, but beautiful in its simplicity. The beds were very comfortable and the entire room so clean that it passed even my impossibly high standards. I was afraid that the huge windows would allow cold drafts , but the room stayed just the right temperature even with the heat off. The bath has a separate thermostat so there was no shivering after a shower. The towels were fluffy and bright white. If someone in your traveling party isn't sleepy there's a huge common room to sit in and read or watch TV.

The restaurant is wonderful. Reading visitors complaints here is baffling. This is an historic site recreating the life of Shakers. They were a simple people and the food here is uncomplicated, yet incredibly tasty. If one is expecting haute cuisine, then one will be disappointed. If one is expecting delicious, quality meals and plenty of servings, one will go away with a smile on his face.

The setting is phenomenal. Rolling meadows, bucolic scenes, surrounded by serenity.

The tour is entertaining and educational. Every guide was friendly, professional and happy to answer any question.

All the years I lived in Lexington and I never stayed at Shaker! I can't believe what I missed. It took a move to Georgia to get me to visit and I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank D R
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the village and enjoyed the events very much. The young lady who entertained in the meeting house was a very PLEASANT SURPRISE. She amazed the whole room. Each event was a wonderful event. The staff were on top of their toes and very accommodating. Rooms were large and beds comfortable. Food needed a little TLC for the price charged. Waitresses were GREAT..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrodsburg
Baymont Inn and Suites Harrodsburg
#2 of 6 in Danville
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Lexington
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Danville
Holiday Inn Express Nicholasville

Been to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn? Share your experiences!