“Great unplugged family vacation.”

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Harrodsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is a landmark destination rooted in the spirit of the Kentuckians that called this place home for more than a century. Discover inspiring legacies, fresh-air adventures and spirited hospitality throughout Shaker Village's 3,000 acres. Onsite amenities include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, historical exhibitions and tours, a farm and garden area, a nature preserve, multi-use trail system, riverboat rides, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We traveled to Shaker Village with our preschool daughter and pretoddling son. Although the accommodations are a wee rustic (anything built in the early 19th century is going to be a little clunky), the vacation itself was sublime. The children loved the wide, open spaces, especially the animals. The one-mile hikes on the property were perfect for us, and five days without TV, computers, or loud toys brought much joy to the entire family.

One HUGE caveat - there are not many meal options (besides breakfast) at Shaker Village for families with little ones, so visitors should look elsewhere.

4  Thank wonkavator
There are newer reviews for Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill

Reviewed June 15, 2010

I visited Shaker Village over the Memorial Day weekend. We ate in the dining room which was very good and very busy. We had to wait, but they fit us in. They serve the vegetables which are grown in the garden in the village.
We walked around the village which was very serene and peaceful, like a bygone era. There is a center family dwelling in which Shaker furniture illustrates the way that the Shakers lived. You can take a self-guided tour as there are placards in each room explaining what the room was used for. There is a barnyard at the end of one of the roads with a few barn animals. They also had an excellent young singer give a demonstration of the singing done during worship services. I never realized that there were many children in the village.
I was disappointed that the riverboat got washed away and was not running while we were there.

1  Thank angeleyes27
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Shaker Village is non-profit and all proceeds go back into maintaining Shaker Village. It is a very important part of history. Enjoy the hiking trails, boat ride, background history of craftsmanship and ingenuity, the meals are pricey, but excellent. For a real experience stay in one of the rooms overnight (but don't complain if you expect a 5 star hotel). We like to go at least 1-2 times a year to help support and keep history alive for future generations. Put yourself back in time when people lived on the land to survive, simpllify and destress for a peaceful weekend experience.

1  Thank dmky51
Reviewed February 6, 2010

I hadn't visited Shaker Village in over ten years because of a previous bad experience. Since then the restaurant has changed management and the reviews gave me renewed hope. My group dined in the winter kitchen. Very cozy with a wood-burning fireplace . The menu sounded devine - but oh, what a disappointment. Three appetizers were OK. The fresh greens and beet salad was excellent. Then the entrees were delivered. I had ordered beef short ribs. The ribs were under-seasoned and tough. A friend had order the chicken and it was obvious he was underwhelmed. My dessert of bread pudding had the consistency of baby food. Dinner for two with wine was $75. I may never return simply for dinner, but if I do, it will have to be when the main dining room is open.

4  Thank lexky1031
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We have stayed at Shaker Village Pleasant Hill many times and enjoyed the remote area. However, the prices have increased greatly over a period of a few years. Now when visiting Kentucky we stay at their lovely National Park Resorts where the prices are more reasonable. We would like to return to Shaker Village, but they NEVER offer any specials, not even during the winter. I can't imagine many people willing to spend that much for a nights sleep!

2  Thank teach6810