“Charming and Quaint atmosphere with Delicious meals and educational, too.”

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Harrodsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is a landmark destination rooted in the spirit of the Kentuckians that called this place home for more than a century. Discover inspiring legacies, fresh-air adventures and spirited hospitality throughout Shaker Village's 3,000 acres. Onsite amenities include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, historical exhibitions and tours, a farm and garden area, a nature preserve, multi-use trail system, riverboat rides, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Reviewed October 9, 2009

A nice place to visit for any age. Those with lots of energy have plenty of space and freedom to roam freely. The pace is leisurely and the country setting is serene. You feel as if you've stepped back in time to the best there was to offer. The architecture is impressive and the inventiveness of the Shaker people is to be admired. I would recommend doing the guided tours, at least for your first visit. This will raise your appreciation of the Shaker lifestyle. Also, be sure to enjoy a meal while there. I would recommend trying a cooked, plate type meal, rather than a club sandwich type fare....get some home cooking, it will be worth it. The atmosphere itself is worth the sit down.
Visiting during a special event is fun, too. We like to visit the Apple Harvest Fest in September. Shaker Village is a place I visit repeatedly.

1  Thank meljrich
"great place to visit"
in 9 reviews
"trustees"

Reviewed September 14, 2009

We had the pleasure of staying at the Inn at Shaker Village for three nights recently while visiting Harrodsburg for a family wedding. While definitely not a luxurious resort-type accommodation, it was comfortable, clean, and appealing, and very reasonably priced. You give up some chain-hotel type amenities for the wonderful experience of staying in the bright, airy, beautifully designed historic family dwellings that the Shakers lived in during their attempt at utopian living. If you're mostly out during the day, this is a very interesting and pleasant choice for lodging. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room (honeymooners, e.g.), be aware that aside from the comfortable beds, the only other seating is wooden rocking chairs (at least in our room) - quite nice, but not exactly luxurious. There's a small TV on a TV stand - our son, who looked to see if there was anything worth watching, said the pickings were pretty slim. But I wouldn't go here to watch TV, anyway. The bathroom was nice and had all amenities except the promised hair dryer - I didn't bother to pack mine because I thought there'd be one (there was one in my sister's room, however, so maybe a guest had taken the one that was supposed to be in mine?). Those with an interest in history should find staying here especially enjoyable. This really is a special place.

We ate one dinner and three breakfasts in the Trustees Hall Dining Room (breakfast is a nice buffet), and found the food to be quite good, and the ambience was wonderful. That building is an architectural delight, with twin curving staircases in the entry hall. The only complaint we had was that you need to make reservations, even for breakfast, an we weren't told that when we checked in (if you read all of the extensive info in the brochure on room rates it does say that reservations for dining are strongly recommended, but who reads all of that if they're not looking for rate info?). So we had a bit of hassle on our first morning, although they were able to seat us (it's not like there are other breakfast choices nearby, you'd have to drive several miles!). One note - even though the inn is located in a dry county, they are able to serve liquor and wine with meals (except on Sunday) due to the way the local regulation is written.

The setting is spectacular - gorgeous scenery; beautiful, historic buildings; costumed interpreters; orchards; farm animals - they have over 40 miles of hiking trails on the property. Guests can get a discount on tickets to tour the buildings of the restored Shaker Village the inn is in, and the tickets are good for the duration of your stay, so you can take your time visiting it if you're there for multiple nights. The programs presented on Shaker life, beliefs, music, and agriculture where fascinating, and very well done. There were demonstrations on making traditional products such as brooms, shaker boxes, and wooden buckets. There's even a riverboat ride you can take on the Kentucky River - I'd have enjoyed that, but didn't have time, with all the wedding festivities. There are also two shops selling wonderful local crafts.

Lodging for the Inn is in several different buildings on the property, and only one of them has internet access (wireless), although guests staying in other buildings can take their laptops to the common room there to use them. If having convenient access to the internet is important to you, ask to stay in the West Family Dwelling when you book your room.

2  Thank srsbtraveler
Reviewed August 30, 2009

The only drawback to my trip to "Shakertown" was that I didn't have enough time there. I will definitely plan to return. I was fascinated by the history and blown away by all that was accomplished. I read in another review that the gift shop was pricey -- which it definitely was -- but the smaller gift shop at the Post Office had smaller, more affordable items. My children -- 11 and 13 -- were as interested as I was, but I don't know how interesting it would be to younger children. In any event, it's a great place, and we are fortunate that it has been so beautifully and lovingly preserved.

1  Thank Gypsy1962
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Your vacation experience depends more on your attitude than the actual accommodations. If you want to see what a dedicated nonprofit group can do to preserve an important part of history, then this is the place for you. The rooms are comfortable but they are, after all, located in historic buildings that have been restored to the 19th century conditions when they were new. Modern mattresses, electricity, indoor plumbing, but they are minimally handicapped accessible, the cell signal is weak and I doubt they have wi-fi. If you need these, stay elsewhere and visit during business hours. Our tour guides were excellent. I learned things from each that I never knew before, and everyone I met was courteous and pleasant. Our meal at the restaurant was superb, and many of their recipes can be found in the cookbooks found in the gift shops. Many of the products are pricey, but everything made onsite is of the highest quality, and you can watch many of the products being made, with an explanation by the craftsperson.

Would I recommend this to a friend? For my healthy friends with an interest in history, yes!
For those with mobility problems, no.
For those who feel the world revolves around them - NO NO NO. Do Shaker Village a favor and go to a resort spa with maid service.

2  Thank KentuckyHighlander
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I accidentally posted our review under the Shaker Village *HOTEL* category. I am reposting here because we enjoyed it so much, we want to encourage others to take the tour.

We visited the Louisville, Kentucky area to play tourist. We had read about Shaker Village here at Trip Advisor and decided to visit for the day. It was awesome! Our only regret is that we didn't plan to spend more time here. We didn't arrive until almost noon. It would have been more enjoyable if we arrived earlier in the day so we had more time to wander the grounds and try their restaurant for lunch. (We didn't stay overnight, so our review doesn't include comments about overnight lodging).

All of the volunteers (dressed in period garb) are like historians. They are that knowledgeable about the history of the Shakers and this Kentucky community. We had no clue about this little "celibate commune" and their attempt at a Utopian lifestyle. The architecture and artifacts were really interesting as well. Thanks to the friendly folks here who shared their knowledge with us.

2  Thank SunDiego123